ADVERTISEMENT

Self-serving, hypocritical stance by Dabo (what a surprise)

bdblack

Mar 29, 2002
Dabo doesn't even believe that OSU belongs in the top 10 because they didn't play enough games, right? Yet he turns right around and makes an impassioned plea that Trevor Lawrence should be the Heisman Trophy winner, despite his missing 2 games due to covid and falling way behind Mack Jones in passing yards, Tds to Ints and level of competition. If Lawrence gets the Heisman, it's a rigged game, no doubt!

Dabo doesn't even believe that OSU belongs in the top 10 because they didn't play enough games, right? Yet he turns right around and makes an impassioned plea that Trevor Lawrence should be the Heisman Trophy winner, despite his missing 2 games due to covid and falling way behind Mack Jones in passing yards, Tds to Ints and level of competition. If Lawrence gets the Heisman, it's a rigged game, no doubt!
If Lawrence gets it, it’s a career achievement award. He’s also probably the best player.

Dabo is just doing what any good coach would do. That’s not surprising. But I’d agree if Lawrence gets it, the award is tarnished. It shouldn’t be a career achievement award... it’s awarded annually to the best player of the year, not the past two, three, or four years. But who knows how they decide? I don’t.

Trevor is the best player but the Heisman has never been a career achievement award .... it's supposedly based on one year's achievement.

Hasn't it? I know it's supposed to be a this year thing, but my vague memory says it's been given as a career achievement before.

A head coach advocated for his QB to win the Heisman??? Stop the presses!

He's right, by the way. Trevor IS the best player in college football and the Heisman IS supposed to go to the best player. But it's become a stat award.

Well, Lawrence being the best player in football is certainly an opinion. Shared by some, not by others.

The Heisman trophy goes each season to the player that had the best season. The idea that is a career award is really way off. If that was true, a freshman or sophomore would never even be considered and Johnny Manziel and Joe Burrow would have never won the award.

The OP is right. Dabo is a complete self serving hypocrite. How can he say with a straight face that OSU is the #11 team in the nation because they missed some games and then turn around hours later and say your QB, who also didn't play enough games, deserves the Heisman??? Get outta here.

Well, Lawrence being the best player in football is certainly an opinion. Shared by some, not by others.

The Heisman trophy goes each season to the player that had the best season. The idea that is a career award is really way off. If that was true, a freshman or sophomore would never even be considered and Johnny Manziel and Joe Burrow would have never won the award.

The OP is right. Dabo is a complete self serving hypocrite. How can he say with a straight face that OSU is the #11 team in the nation because they missed some games and then turn around hours later and say your QB, who also didn't play enough games, deserves the Heisman??? Get outta here.

The stated criteria of the Heisman is that it goes to the most outstanding player in college football. Nothing about who had the best statistical season.

Reactions: carolinacanopy
The stated criteria of the Heisman is that it goes to the most outstanding player in college football. Nothing about who had the best statistical season.

Actually, the stated criteria is that it goes ANNUALY to the most outstanding player in college football. Thats one reason why, if you go to the Heisman site, and look through info on past winners, it gives their stats from the season they won the award. Doesn't even mention career stats.

I am not sure Lawrence's stats this year put him in the top 3. As QBs go, Kyle Trask's stats dwarf his. 4,125 yds vs. 2,753. 43 TDs vs 27.

And lets use Dabo's logic with OSU....if you have games cancelled or can't play, you get ding'd. Thats why he ranked them #11. So basically that big baby is saying punish OSU for not playing enough games but ignore that when it comes to my QB. If Trevor wants to win the Heisman, he has another year.

Actually, the stated criteria is that it goes ANNUALY to the most outstanding player in college football. Thats one reason why, if you go to the Heisman site, and look through info on past winners, it gives their stats from the season they won the award. Doesn't even mention career stats.

I am not sure Lawrence's stats this year put him in the top 3. As QBs go, Kyle Trask's stats dwarf his. 4,125 yds vs. 2,753. 43 TDs vs 27.

And lets use Dabo's logic with OSU....if you have games cancelled or can't play, you get ding'd. Thats why he ranked them #11. So basically that big baby is saying punish OSU for not playing enough games but ignore that when it comes to my QB. If Trevor wants to win the Heisman, he has another year.

I'm not arguing for a career award.

Dabo is hardly alone in his opinion that OSU shouldn't be in the playoffs (it's the opinion of many on this forum). And the manner in which the B1G fiddled with the rules to make it possible adds to the scrutiny. And, last I checked, there's not a minimum games requirement to win the Heisman. The two are not comparable. It's been a while, and there aren't many, but players have won the Heisman after missing action.

In any event, I'm not arguing for Lawrence to win it. I do believe, along with many others, that he's the best player in the game this season. So, from that perspective, yeah, he's deserving. As I said above, Jones probably deserves based on how the award is determined these days.

But let's be honest about what this is REALLY about: our fans just don't want someone from Clemson winning the Heisman. Some of our fans still cling to George's Heisman as one thing we've still got on Clemson.

Dabo is hardly alone in his opinion that OSU shouldn't be in the playoffs (it's the opinion of many on this forum). And the manner in which the B1G fiddled with the rules to make it possible adds to the scrutiny. And, last I checked, there's not a minimum games requirement to win the Heisman. The two are not comparable. It's been a while, and there aren't many, but players have won the Heisman after missing action.

In any event, I'm not arguing for Lawrence to win it. I do believe, along with many others, that he's the best player in the game this season. So, from that perspective, yeah, he's deserving. As I said above, Jones probably deserves based on how the award is determined these days.

But let's be honest about what this is REALLY about: our fans just don't want someone from Clemson winning the Heisman. Some of our fans still cling to George's Heisman as one thing we've still got on Clemson.
He could've sat out the whole year or played in just the first game, and he'd still be the best player in the game. At some point, you have to earn it on the field. I'm not arguing against him winning. I just don't agree that awards or playoff spots should always go to the best players or teams. The best teams don't always win. That's the whole point of playing.

Thats part of it but not all. My point was not about whether OSU should be in or not, it was about the hypocrisy of Dabo applying his bias towards teams that missed games while advocating his QB win the Heisman who missed games.

And no I don't think Trevor Lawrence had the best season this year. And of course Carolina fans don't really want a player form their in-state rival to win the award.

Reactions: bdblack

He is the best player, and has been since his freshman season. Being on a rival team doesn't change reality.

Yeah, this is a Clemson fan weighing in, so my opinion really does not count.....

But this post is absolutely spot on! Disliking Dabo or Trevor or anything orange really doesn't change the fact that he's the best player in college football this year. I also think Jones and Trask are phenomenal players.

That doesn't change what you as a fan can certainly see. I would suggest that if the roles were reversed, and he was the quarterback for SC, with his stats and record this year (and yes his record in previous years) , you would feel he is deserving of the award.

It's fine for you to hate on everything Clemson, but be truthful.

If you had the power does he lose the Heisman and Clemson wins the title?
Or vice versa?
I say let him win it. Although this year he hasn’t performed the best.
No doubt if I needed a QB to win one college game I’m picking him though.

Yeah, this is a Clemson fan weighing in, so my opinion really does not count.....

But this post is absolutely spot on! Disliking Dabo or Trevor or anything orange really doesn't change the fact that he's the best player in college football this year. I also think Jones and Trask are phenomenal players.

That doesn't change what you as a fan can certainly see. I would suggest that if the roles were reversed, and he was the quarterback for SC, with his stats and record this year (and yes his record in previous years) , you would feel he is deserving of the award.

But that's not really the point of the thread. IF you think Ohio State is one of the 4 best teams, shouldn't they be treated the same as Lawrence?

But that's not really the point of the thread. IF you think Ohio State is one of the 4 best teams, shouldn't they be treated the same as Lawrence?

Unfortunately for Clemson, I do think they are one of the four best teams. I'm not sure that says a lot for the rest of the group. I understand that you feel Dabo is playing it both ways.

However, I'm not sure missing two games, and therefore having less gaudy stats, equates with a team playing half a season and being included in the final four.

I do believe that it gives OSU an advantage over the teams that played 11 or 12 games. As some national writer pointed out, football is a brutal game! There's no way OSU has the injuries, some nagging and some serious, that the other three teams do. We'll see if it comes in to play with depth, fatigue, etc.

Maybe Dabo's just afraid of playing them........what do you think?

Unfortunately for Clemson, I do think they are one of the four best teams. I'm not sure that says a lot for the rest of the group. I understand that you feel Dabo is playing it both ways.

However, I'm not sure missing two games, and therefore having less gaudy stats, equates with a team playing half a season and being included in the final four.

I do believe that it gives OSU an advantage over the teams that played 11 or 12 games. As some national writer pointed out, football is a brutal game! There's no way OSU has the injuries, some nagging and some serious, that the other three teams do. We'll see if it comes in to play with depth, fatigue, etc.

I don't personally like the rules, so I wouldn't pick them for a playoff. But based on the rules and if you believe they are a top 4 team, I think you have to pick them.

I agree with you that the number of games missed by Ohio St is more significant than the number missed by Trevor.

All of that said, I think for consistency, they should be treated the same. Trevor missed games because of the virus and we won't hold it against him, so it seems to me that you have to treat teams the same way.

Yes, I do think Dabo would rather not play them. I don't think he's scared. I do think he'd prefer an easier path.

If everyone remembers The Big Ten was the first to cancel the season. They saw saw themselves as the virtuous leaders. The SEC and ACC would be quick to fall in line. Not so fast. Swinney is reminding them of their arrogance. Many other coaches left them out of the top four. I personally find ATM more deserving.

I don't personally like the rules, so I wouldn't pick them for a playoff. But based on the rules and if you believe they are a top 4 team, I think you have to pick them.

I agree with you that the number of games missed by Ohio St is more significant than the number missed by Trevor.

All of that said, I think for consistency, they should be treated the same. Trevor missed games because of the virus and we won't hold it against him, so it seems to me that you have to treat teams the same way.

Yes, I do think Dabo would rather not play them. I don't think he's scared. I do think he'd prefer an easier path.

Yes, I agree with you! OSU, as much as a cry baby group as they are, (they are 0 and forever against ALL SC teams), they would go ballistic if they weren't included, let them play. They are as talented ("see eye test") as any team. From my perspective....... I hope we beat the s..... out of them.

They are still wining about last year's loss.

Good luck with Shane Beamer! He's an excellent coach and even a better person! I think you'll be happy..

Merry Christmas!

I still remember when OSU was voted in the top 5 every week early in the season when they were not even playing games! How was that fair to Cincinnati, Coastal, and all the other teams that were playing?

A head coach advocated for his QB to win the Heisman??? Stop the presses!

He's right, by the way. Trevor IS the best player in college football and the Heisman IS supposed to go to the best player. But it's become a stat award.
F*** DABO and his littel Girl QB.... He played what, one game, against one team with a Pulse??

You mentioned fatigue, injuries based on games played. There some who think Clemson only having to play starters 3 qtrs or less due to conference competition the past several years gives them that same advantage. Not saying I agree with that, but still it is an opinion of others. We will see soon enough.

I think Dabo always wants to whine to the media to spin the narrative in his (and Clempson's favor). He is just doing it again. Most of his complaints are laughable.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
Yes, I agree with you! OSU, as much as a cry baby group as they are, (they are 0 and forever against ALL SC teams), they would go ballistic if they weren't included, let them play. They are as talented ("see eye test") as any team. From my perspective....... I hope we beat the s..... out of them.

They are still wining about last year's loss.

Good luck with Shane Beamer! He's an excellent coach and even a better person! I think you'll be happy..

Merry Christmas!

Clempson fans should really stay away from the cry baby charge. Your coach is world class in this area.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
Great point about the conflicting stances. Not surprised.

He has been a top player the last couple years.....but he hasn't been THE BEST player this year. First....missed 2 games. Second....plays a weaker schedule (not as weak as B10....but weak). Lastly and most importantly....didn't perform (stat wise or on field against top competition OVER AND OVER again) like the names toward the top of the list.
Trask, D.Smith (Bama), M. Jones should all be ahead of him.

N. Harris is a really good back - but not shouldn't be a Heisman top 5. Just like Lawrence...will have a great Pro career - but this award isn't supposed to be about who projects to be whatever in the pros...supposed to be about one season, most outstanding player as performed on the field. Stats do play a part in that...and not playing all your games (esp. if more than one game) plays a huge part in that as well.

Let's go the unpopular Route. Trask, Mac Jones, and Trevor can't be the "most outstanding player" when they aren't even the most outstanding player on their own teams. Heck Trask isn't even the best player named Kyle on his team. DeVonta Smith, Etienne, and Kyle Pitts should be the finalists. Those are the most outstanding players on those teams.

Dabo is just doing what any good coach would do. That’s not surprising. But I’d agree if Lawrence gets it, the award is tarnished. It shouldn’t be a career achievement award... it’s awarded annually to the best player of the year, not the past two, three, or four years. But who knows how they decide? I don’t.
But Dabo’s point is that it shouldn’t be a stat award. IMO, Trevor is a better quarterback than any of the others and stats aren’t needed to show that.

Let's go the unpopular Route. Trask, Mac Jones, and Trevor can't be the "most outstanding player" when they aren't even the most outstanding player on their own teams. Heck Trask isn't even the best player named Kyle on his team. DeVonta Smith, Etienne, and Kyle Pitts should be the finalists. Those are the most outstanding players on those teams.
Agreed. The Heisman is basically just a QB award as this point

Agreed. The Heisman is basically just a QB award as this point
That's been true for a long time.

2019: QB
2018: QB
2017: QB
2016: QB
2015: RB
2014: QB
2013: QB
2012: QB
2011: QB
2010: QB
2009: RB
2008: QB
2007: QB
2006: QB
2005: RB (vacated)
2004: QB
2003: QB
2002: QB
2001: QB
2000: QB

That's been true for a long time.

2019: QB
2018: QB
2017: QB
2016: QB
2015: RB
2014: QB
2013: QB
2012: QB
2011: QB
2010: QB
2009: RB
2008: QB
2007: QB
2006: QB
2005: RB (vacated)
2004: QB
2003: QB
2002: QB
2001: QB
2000: QB
At this point, why even try to make it seem like anything else? We're always fed the line that it goes to the most outstanding player, but that's not true. Why do people seem to think that a QB is automatically more outstanding than a RB, WR, or any other position?

In fact, I would argue that on offense the skill players who are impressive are demonstrating more value than the QB. The QB is guaranteed to get the ball every play, the others aren't.

Hasn't it? I know it's supposed to be a this year thing, but my vague memory says it's been given as a career achievement before.
But that argument goes out the window when younger players win it. Johnny Manziel won it as a RS Freshman, so that definitely couldn't have been a career award. He also was nominated the next year but didn't win.

I don't know if Dabo's afraid of them or not. But if he is, he certainly picked a bad way of showing it. I doubt if OSU stands much chance of beating Clemson but they will certainly be motivated now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT