ADVERTISEMENT

Self-serving, hypocritical stance by Dabo (what a surprise)

But Dabo’s point is that it shouldn’t be a stat award. IMO, Trevor is a better quarterback than any of the others and stats aren’t needed to show that.
I agree that it shouldn't only be a stat award, but stats play a very big part of it. What if we said, Alabama is the best team and points aren't needed to show that.

If we just base everything on talent and disregard what happens on the field then there's no point in playing most of the games.

Reactions: bdblack
I agree that it shouldn't only be a stat award, but stats play a very big part of it. What if we said, Alabama is the best team and points aren't needed to show that.

If we just base everything on talent and disregard what happens on the field then there's no point in playing most of the games.
I’m not saying that stats shouldn’t matter, but the award shouldn’t be based solely on stats. Which stat would you use, passer rating, total yards, completion percentage? Touchdowns? There would be a different winner if you chose 1 stat. And then of course, how do you compare stats of a quarterback to those of RB or WR? It should be given to the best player in college football and that can’t be determined by stats.

I’m not saying that stats shouldn’t matter, but the award shouldn’t be based solely on stats. Which stat would you use, passer rating, total yards, completion percentage? Touchdowns? There would be a different winner if you chose 1 stat. And then of course, how do you compare stats of a quarterback to those of RB or WR? It should be given to the best player in college football and that can’t be determined by stats.
I don't think it should be given to the best player in college football. I think it should be given to the player who played the best. I have no idea how to evaluate that fairly.

I do agree though that Lawrence is the best player, and I'm not really arguing against him receiving the award. I wouldn't personally hold the games missed against him.

Reactions: The Doctors Back
Yeah, this is a Clemson fan weighing in, so my opinion really does not count.....

But this post is absolutely spot on! Disliking Dabo or Trevor or anything orange really doesn't change the fact that he's the best player in college football this year. I also think Jones and Trask are phenomenal players.

That doesn't change what you as a fan can certainly see. I would suggest that if the roles were reversed, and he was the quarterback for SC, with his stats and record this year (and yes his record in previous years) , you would feel he is deserving of the award.

It's fine for you to hate on everything Clemson, but be truthful.
I am truthful. I HATE EVERYTHING CLEMSON.

I don't think it should be given to the best player in college football. I think it should be given to the player who played the best. I have no idea how to evaluate that fairly.

I do agree though that Lawrence is the best player, and I'm not really arguing against him receiving the award. I wouldn't personally hold the games missed against him.
And he's going to look great in a "Dutch Fork" uniform.

Actually, the stated criteria is that it goes ANNUALY to the most outstanding player in college football. Thats one reason why, if you go to the Heisman site, and look through info on past winners, it gives their stats from the season they won the award. Doesn't even mention career stats.

I am not sure Lawrence's stats this year put him in the top 3. As QBs go, Kyle Trask's stats dwarf his. 4,125 yds vs. 2,753. 43 TDs vs 27.

And lets use Dabo's logic with OSU....if you have games cancelled or can't play, you get ding'd. Thats why he ranked them #11. So basically that big baby is saying punish OSU for not playing enough games but ignore that when it comes to my QB. If Trevor wants to win the Heisman, he has another year.
Yup and he needs to play more than 2-3 qtrs per game as well.

Jones and Trask have better numbers. Clempsun has had at least four pre-season Heisman Winners. Spillar, Boyd, Watson, and now Lawrence. None of them won it, though Watson probably deserved it more than these other three. Lawrence is a great QB, but statistically he isn’t even the top QB in the Southeast. Two SEC QB’s have better numbers, vs marginally better competition in 2020.

Unfortunately for the tiggers, the award is POST-SEASON, not PRE-SEASON.

I'm not arguing for a career award.

Dabo is hardly alone in his opinion that OSU shouldn't be in the playoffs (it's the opinion of many on this forum). And the manner in which the B1G fiddled with the rules to make it possible adds to the scrutiny. And, last I checked, there's not a minimum games requirement to win the Heisman. The two are not comparable. It's been a while, and there aren't many, but players have won the Heisman after missing action.

In any event, I'm not arguing for Lawrence to win it. I do believe, along with many others, that he's the best player in the game this season. So, from that perspective, yeah, he's deserving. As I said above, Jones probably deserves based on how the award is determined these days.

But let's be honest about what this is REALLY about: our fans just don't want someone from Clemson winning the Heisman. Some of our fans still cling to George's Heisman as one thing we've still got on Clemson.

What this really is about is in my original post .... Dabo's hypocritical stance against OSU for not playing enough games while shilling for his QB to win the Heisman in spite of missing 2 games and being almost 1k yards behind the leaders in passing, both of whom played a totally SEC schedule v. Clemson's ACC slate. Obviously the mental giant can't understand his own forked-tongue logic!

I doubt there are more than two teams in this country that Las Vegas would make Ohio State an underdog to. They deserve to be in the playoff and may very well prove it.

Reactions: Zann77
Unfortunately for Clemson, I do think they are one of the four best teams. I'm not sure that says a lot for the rest of the group. I understand that you feel Dabo is playing it both ways.

However, I'm not sure missing two games, and therefore having less gaudy stats, equates with a team playing half a season and being included in the final four.

I do believe that it gives OSU an advantage over the teams that played 11 or 12 games. As some national writer pointed out, football is a brutal game! There's no way OSU has the injuries, some nagging and some serious, that the other three teams do. We'll see if it comes in to play with depth, fatigue, etc.

Maybe Dabo's just afraid of playing them........what do you think?
Its nice to see a fellow tiger fan who understands why some other conferences look down on the schedule clemson plays week in and week out. Football is a brutal game! and going through the acc is often times not the same as the sec or big 10

Dabo doesn't even believe that OSU belongs in the top 10 because they didn't play enough games, right? Yet he turns right around and makes an impassioned plea that Trevor Lawrence should be the Heisman Trophy winner, despite his missing 2 games due to covid and falling way behind Mack Jones in passing yards, Tds to Ints and level of competition. If Lawrence gets the Heisman, it's a rigged game, no doubt!
You are looking to Dabo Swinney for consistency? As long as it's good for Clemson, Dabo will say it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT