ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question about USC AD

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
As a fan/grad/financial supporter/Gamecock Club member/ticket purchaser, etc etc.....whatever your relantionship with USC athletics.....can you honestly say you are confident that the current USC AD administration, staff and coaches have a commitment to excellence from the top down?? If you cant answer yes, you should have a problem with the current situation and be calling/asking for change. I look around and, especially on the men's side, see a lot of mediocrity. And frankly, comfortable staff not showing much motivation to change it.

Follow the link to a list of AD employees.

https://gamecocksonline.com/staff.aspx

A big list of staff with a high payroll for such mediocrity.

Our once proud baseball program in the crapper. Our once well respected soccer program languishing with a coach who needs to retire. Our football program who cant seem to beat anyone decent and loses to CU every year. And the mediocrity is not just on the field with mens teams. Its with our marketing, sports promotion, public relations and media relations, our website, football broadcasts, social media. Heck have you looked at the merchandise store on the official USC website??? Garbage.

I am tired of medicority. We need a shrewd executive leader at the top who demands excelllence and accpets nothing less. Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

GO COCKS!!! BEAT LSU!!!

Last edited:
As a fan/grad/financial supporter/Gamecock Club member/ticket purchaser, etc etc.....whatever your relantionship with USC athletics.....can you honestly say you are confident that the current USC AD administration, staff and coaches have a commitment to excellence from the top down?? If you cant answer yes, you should have a problem with the current situation and be calling/asking for change. I look around and, especially on the men's side, see a lot of mediocrity. And frankly, comfortable staff not showing much motivation to change it.

Follow the linl to a list of AD employees.

https://gamecocksonline.com/staff.aspx

Our once proud baseball program in the crapper. Our once well respected soccer program languishing with a coach who needs to retire. Our football program who cant seem to beat anyone decent and loses to CU every year. And the mediocrity is not just on the field with mens teams. Its with our marketing, sports promotion, public relations and media relations, our website, football broadcasts, social media. Heck have you looked at the merchandise store on the official USC website??? Garbage.

I am tired of medicority. We need a shrewd executive leader at the top who demands excelllence and accpets nothing less. Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

GO COCKS!!! BEAT LSU!!!

I’ve already taken action. Can’t continue to spend $. That means my season tickets and Gamecock club dues. Truly disappointing that that seems to be the only way to change.

By the way, I emailed the board of trustees. No response. Don’t expect one. I was cordial but let them know of my decision hoped they consider changes for us to become winners. Meh.

They're going to try to brazen it on through with SEC money and what the diehards will spend. They are running the department through their handpicked guy and feel no particular urgency to step things up. You'd have a hard time finding a Power Five program with less ambition, especially a state school.

a
They're going to try to brazen it on through with SEC money and what the diehards will spend. They are running the department through their handpicked guy and feel no particular urgency to step things up. You'd have a hard time finding a Power Five program with less ambition, especially a state school.
im afraid you are right. The thing is, I am a die hard. I earned my Gamecock merit badge a long time ago. I see things deteriorate, our neighbors win championships with less resources, and see such football titans like Kentucky pass us by. 1976 was my first game. It’s time to demand more. I can only do what I can do. My little bit of $ won’t move them but hope others will demand more.

One is doing a great job and the other is our AD.
lol....I am really confused though what exactly does Ray do or not do that makes Gamecock fans so driven to handing him a pink slip? He's not a wizard ( except on the baseball field coaching and that's history ). He doesn't coach anymore or recruit and he's one of us so why is it his fault that the word "mediocre" is so over used here? We've been trying for the promised land for 100 years and it's Ray Tanner's fault we ain't there yet ? Ray brought us National attention when we had none so as far as I'm concerned he can be AD as long as he draws breath. Relax.

I’ve already taken action. Can’t continue to spend $. That means my season tickets and Gamecock club dues. Truly disappointing that that seems to be the only way to change.

By the way, I emailed the board of trustees. No response. Don’t expect one. I was cordial but let them know of my decision hoped they consider changes for us to become winners. Meh.
You're kidding ! You mean to tell me they didn't get right back to you ? Laughing

Reactions: SOSUSC
lol....I am really confused though what exactly does Ray do or not do that makes Gamecock fans so driven to handing him a pink slip? He's not a wizard ( except on the baseball field coaching and that's history ). He doesn't coach anymore or recruit and he's one of us so why is it his fault that the word "mediocre" is so over used here? We've been trying for the promised land for 100 years and it's Ray Tanner's fault we ain't there yet ? Ray brought us National attention when we had none so as far as I'm concerned he can be AD as long as he draws breath. Relax.

I’m sorry, I’m my opinion, Ray is a baseball coach not an AD. Once upon a time my support probably was unconditional. Not anymore. We have never demanded anything and the results show it. If you think he has performed well then super duper. No more $ from this household. Poor performance is awarded. Raises and extensions all around. I want to win.

If a politician performed poorly would you vote for them again or if you saw the service and food quality plunge at your favorite restaurant would you just keep showing up? I don’t see any other way.

I think this is a big part of why we suck, and have sucked for as long as we've sucked. College sports, at least at the D1 level, is a business. No, not every program is a business, but the department itself is.
Some companies want to be hugely successful. They run their business as such.
Us? We put a guy in charge of an athletic department that has a football team that turns $50 million a year IN PROFIT (Forbes 2017), and we put him there because "he coached ball real good" 10 years ago.
That national prominence he brought us from 2000-2012? He was paid really well for that. He has his number retired for that.
In the meantime, Clemson destroys us year in and year out. And enough of our fans are so happy with this state of affairs that the money keeps rolling in.
This is why Clemson just views us a "little brother."

I’m sorry, I’m my opinion, Ray is a baseball coach not an AD. Once upon a time my support probably was unconditional. Not anymore. We have never demanded anything and the results show it. If you think he has performed well then super duper. No more $ from this household. Poor performance is awarded. Raises and extensions all around. I want to win.

If a politician performed poorly would you vote for them again or if you saw the service and food quality plunge at your favorite restaurant would you just keep showing up? I don’t see any other way.

What exactly is it that you want Ray to do that he is not doing? And I am interested in specifics

I think this is a big part of why we suck, and have sucked for as long as we've sucked. College sports, at least at the D1 level, is a business. No, not every program is a business, but the department itself is.
Some companies want to be hugely successful. They run their business as such.
Us? We put a guy in charge of an athletic department that has a football team that turns $50 million a year IN PROFIT (Forbes 2017), and we put him there because "he coached ball real good" 10 years ago.
That national prominence he brought us from 2000-2012? He was paid really well for that. He has his number retired for that.
In the meantime, Clemson destroys us year in and year out. And enough of our fans are so happy with this state of affairs that the money keeps rolling in.
This is why Clemson just views us a "little brother."
You can't buy success we pay big money to build success. The Clemson AD doesn't have a magic wand but he does have "loyal" fans. How do we blame Ray for SOS doing his throwing in the towel act or Holbrook letting us all down, what AD wouldn't have hired Chad? Frank lost a Final Four class and has to rebuild but do we give credit to Ray for the Final Four run, nope we don't. Ray is here for the duration and can't be complained away so it is what it is hell we're not entitled we have to dance with the one we have. Ray hasn't ruined anything because we ain't had nothing to ruin for 100 years.

You can't buy success we pay big money to build success. The Clemson AD doesn't have a magic wand but he does have "loyal" fans. How do we blame Ray for SOS doing his throwing in the towel act or Holbrook letting us all down, what AD wouldn't have hired Chad? Frank lost a Final Four class and has to rebuild but do we give credit to Ray for the Final Four run, nope we don't. Ray is here for the duration and can't be complained away so it is what it is hell we're not entitled we have to dance with the one we have. Ray hasn't ruined anything because we ain't had nothing to ruin for 100 years.
And we never will because we have the buddy system

How do we blame Ray for SOS doing his throwing in the towel act or Holbrook letting us all down, what AD wouldn't have hired Chad? Frank lost a Final Four class and has to rebuild but do we give credit to Ray for the Final Four run, nope we don't. Ray is here for the duration and can't be complained away so it is what it is hell we're not entitled we have to dance with the one we have. Ray hasn't ruined anything because we ain't had nothing to ruin for 100 years.
1. We don't blame Ray for SOS deciding he didn't want to put in the effort any more. We blame Ray for not seeing what was going on right under his nose until it was too late. Did Ray not notice all of the quality assistants leaving for other jobs? Did he not notice them being replaced by guys who were questionable selections? Did he not notice the talent drain in the program? Do you think something finally went off in his head when Spurrier's completely idiotic "I might coach 2 more years" comment...leading up to signing day...KILLED that class? Nope. Ray just sat back, let it all play out, and came out of the mix with a coach no other SEC program, outside of Vanderbilt, would have hired.
2. We don't blame him because Holbrook let us down. The guys I've gone to football, basketball, and baseball games for YEARS with all blamed him for hiring Chad. We blamed him WHEN he hired Chad. None of us believed that Ray would forego a serious coaching search, not make an effort to bring in someone who was a proven winner with serious stature in the game...and hire a freaking assistant coach. We were a top 5 job, and Ray hired like we were The Citadel.
3. I didn't do much complaining during the years leading up to the Final Four. I thought Frank was doing a great job. He took over a crap program and got better every year. Then, by signing Thornwell, and 2 years later Dozier, he finally had a legit Top 25 team. Then came the next year. And I don't want to hear about "losing a Final Four class. He lost seniors (yeah, that is what happens with seniors), had a McDonald's All-American leave after 2 years, (yeah, that is what happens with top prospects), and as usual had a ton of turnover. Problem is, Frank didn't bring in anything close to the kind of talent he needed to continue winning.
4. Is Ray here "for the duration"? Maybe. Maybe we will continue to be a .500 football program, maybe baseball we never return to national prominence, and maybe basketball will continue making the dance once a decade. If you think Gamecock fans should clap Ray on the back, say "Great job, Coach. Hey, can you tell me about beating UCLA for your first National Championship?", give the guy a raise, an extension, and build more statues in his honor, well, that's you.
The only thing you said that I'll agree with is this: we AREN'T entitled. No one is entitled. Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma...they aren't winning because they are entitled. They are winning because their ADs helped create everything that was needed, hired people who could get the job done, and done what they have to do to keep winning. But apparently enough Gamecock fans are content to "dance with the one we have." Maybe we should have kept King Dixon. Maybe Darrin Horne should still be coaching basketball here. Maybe Brad Scott should still be our head coach.

They want him to micromanage every program, approve all assistant coaching hires, and if a coach doesn't get it turned around in a couple of years, send him to the curb.....nothing that any AD worth his salt would do.

Reactions: howard13

With the status quo, won’t get my money. Same as a poor performing vendor wouldn’t. If you don’t see the decline in our performance then you just don’t want to. Clemson has less money and alumni than we do yet they destroy us annually. I will be a Gamecock forever but I know when things are poorly run.

1. We don't blame Ray for SOS deciding he didn't want to put in the effort any more. We blame Ray for not seeing what was going on right under his nose until it was too late. Did Ray not notice all of the quality assistants leaving for other jobs? Did he not notice them being replaced by guys who were questionable selections? Did he not notice the talent drain in the program? Do you think something finally went off in his head when Spurrier's completely idiotic "I might coach 2 more years" comment...leading up to signing day...KILLED that class? Nope. Ray just sat back, let it all play out, and came out of the mix with a coach no other SEC program, outside of Vanderbilt, would have hired.
2. We don't blame him because Holbrook let us down. The guys I've gone to football, basketball, and baseball games for YEARS with all blamed him for hiring Chad. We blamed him WHEN he hired Chad. None of us believed that Ray would forego a serious coaching search, not make an effort to bring in someone who was a proven winner with serious stature in the game...and hire a freaking assistant coach. We were a top 5 job, and Ray hired like we were The Citadel.
3. I didn't do much complaining during the years leading up to the Final Four. I thought Frank was doing a great job. He took over a crap program and got better every year. Then, by signing Thornwell, and 2 years later Dozier, he finally had a legit Top 25 team. Then came the next year. And I don't want to hear about "losing a Final Four class. He lost seniors (yeah, that is what happens with seniors), had a McDonald's All-American leave after 2 years, (yeah, that is what happens with top prospects), and as usual had a ton of turnover. Problem is, Frank didn't bring in anything close to the kind of talent he needed to continue winning.
4. Is Ray here "for the duration"? Maybe. Maybe we will continue to be a .500 football program, maybe baseball we never return to national prominence, and maybe basketball will continue making the dance once a decade. If you think Gamecock fans should clap Ray on the back, say "Great job, Coach. Hey, can you tell me about beating UCLA for your first National Championship?", give the guy a raise, an extension, and build more statues in his honor, well, that's you.
The only thing you said that I'll agree with is this: we AREN'T entitled. No one is entitled. Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma...they aren't winning because they are entitled. They are winning because their ADs helped create everything that was needed, hired people who could get the job done, and done what they have to do to keep winning. But apparently enough Gamecock fans are content to "dance with the one we have." Maybe we should have kept King Dixon. Maybe Darrin Horne should still be coaching basketball here. Maybe Brad Scott should still be our head coach.
Didn't even get past the ridiculousness of your second point. With respect to the first, if we had fired Spurrier, we would have been the laughing stock of college football. It was a bad situation that no AD at a school like USC could appropriately handle.

With respect to your second point, Chad was the hottest assistant coach on the market, had turned down the Tennessee HC job to stay on Tanner's staff, and was courted by several others. No one knew that he would make a poor HC and if you state otherwise, you are lying.

Didn't even get past the ridiculousness of your second point. With respect to the first, if we had fired Spurrier, we would have been the laughing stock of college football. It was a bad situation that no AD at a school like USC could appropriately handle.

With respect to your second point, Chad was the hottest assistant coach on the market, had turned down the Tennessee HC job to stay on Tanner's staff, and was courted by several others. No one knew that he would make a poor HC and if you state otherwise, you are lying.

If you think its ridiculous to believe that the hottest program in the country could have made a better hire than the "hottest assistant coach" in the country, then so be it. Did I know what kind of head coach he'd be? Of course not. (and I'm not saying that these exact guys would have accepted the job, but...) I knew exactly what kind of head coach Tim Corbin was. I knew exactly what kind of coach Kevin O'Sullivan was. Chad Holbrook? The biggest reason no one knew what kind of head coach he'd be is because he'd never been a head coach.
When Nick Saban retires, do you think Alabama will replace him with a 1st year head coach? When Coach K retires, will they take a complete gamble on an assistant, or find someone with at least a few successful years at the helm of a program?
He turned down Tennessee? Great. Who didn't? Tennessee baseball is/was awful. Carolina baseball in 2012 was NOT Tennessee. We didn't have to go after a career assistant. Carolina baseball in 2019? Yeah, NOW we're Tennessee.

If any other major universities come after tanner for AD then you will know he is doing a good job

Last edited:
If you think its ridiculous to believe that the hottest program in the country could have made a better hire than the "hottest assistant coach" in the country, then so be it. Did I know what kind of head coach he'd be? Of course not. (and I'm not saying that these exact guys would have accepted the job, but...) I knew exactly what kind of head coach Tim Corbin was. I knew exactly what kind of coach Kevin O'Sullivan was. Chad Holbrook? The biggest reason no one knew what kind of head coach he'd be is because he'd never been a head coach.
When Nick Saban retires, do you think Alabama will replace him with a 1st year head coach? When Coach K retires, will they take a complete gamble on an assistant, or find someone with at least a few successful years at the helm of a program?
He turned down Tennessee? Great. Who didn't? Tennessee baseball is/was awful. Carolina baseball in 2012 was NOT Tennessee. We didn't have to go after a career assistant. Carolina baseball in 2019? Yeah, NOW we're Tennessee.
Corbin and O'Sullivan have been offered a lot more money than we were willing to pay and they have stayed put. Corbin may be the highest paid in college baseball and has all the built in advantages of coaching at Vandy. UF promised O'Sullivan impressive new facilities and with the fertile recruiting ground of Florida, you have to be a bit mad to think we could have pulled him away.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Corbin and O'Sullivan have been offered a lot more money than we were willing to pay and they have stayed put. Corbin may be the highest paid in college baseball and has all the built in advantages of coaching at Vandy. UF promised O'Sullivan impressive new facilities and with the fertile recruiting ground of Florida, you have to be a bit mad to think we could have pulled him away.

I’m more up in arms over our football coaching search. We had a 3 month head start and ended up with a head coach no power 5 school would touch to go along with our AD that no power 5 school would touch. Hope we win in baseball but it doesn’t move the meter. The post spurrier hire was the most important in usc history and we completely fumbled it.

I’m more up in arms over our football coaching search. We had a 3 month head start and ended up with a head coach no power 5 school would touch to go along with our AD that no power 5 school would touch. Hope we win in baseball but it doesn’t move the meter. The post spurrier hire was the most important in usc history and we completely fumbled it.
Not sure how an AD can prepare for one coach being told to "wait" by his dream school and the other being offered by their alma mater after firing a successful coach. But if you have that kind of foresight, you should be in Vegas.

In today’s big budget athletic programs, people who have earned professional degrees in athletic administrations are what is needed. We have a good ole baseball coach. Up thar in taterville they have an athletic professional. See the difference?

In today’s big budget athletic programs, people who have earned professional degrees in athletic administrations are what is needed. We have a good ole baseball coach. Up thar in taterville they have an athletic professional. See the difference?
Who has that professional up thar in taterville hired? That same professional also got his previous school put on NCAA probation for things he and his staff did.

Pretty sure I prefaced that by writing " (and I'm not saying that these exact guys would have accepted the job, but...)". My original point stands: whether it was Corbin, O'Sullivan, O'Connor, or any of the other highly successful HEAD coaches in college baseball, a real, experienced AD would have realized he had a choice to make. On one hand, he could decide "Well, I promised this guy I'd support him becoming head coach if I ever moved into administration, and here I am in THE admin job. I'll be blindly loyal to my guy." Or, he could decide "You know, its a little different now that I'm sitting in this chair. Maybe I owe it to the players and the university to actually conduct a search and try to find the best coach I can hire."
But don't worry....you are going to get exactly what you want. Ray isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. We'll see how things work out for Muschamp, Martin, and Kingston. I hope they all become WAY more successful immediately. Because if they don't, I don't see how any reasonable person could believe that Ray Tanner is the guy they want handling the search for their university's next head football/basketball/baseball coach.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Pretty sure I prefaced that by writing " (and I'm not saying that these exact guys would have accepted the job, but...)". My original point stands: whether it was Corbin, O'Sullivan, O'Connor, or any of the other highly successful HEAD coaches in college baseball, a real, experienced AD would have realized he had a choice to make. On one hand, he could decide "Well, I promised this guy I'd support him becoming head coach if I ever moved into administration, and here I am in THE admin job. I'll be blindly loyal to my guy." Or, he could decide "You know, its a little different now that I'm sitting in this chair. Maybe I owe it to the players and the university to actually conduct a search and try to find the best coach I can hire."
But don't worry....you are going to get exactly what you want. Ray isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. We'll see how things work out for Muschamp, Martin, and Kingston. I hope they all become WAY more successful immediately. Because if they don't, I don't see how any reasonable person could believe that Ray Tanner is the guy they want handling the search for their university's next head football/basketball/baseball coach.
You mean like a "professional AD" hiring a WR coach to lead a multi-million dollar football program? Nah, a "professional" wouldn't do that.

Yes. But please enthrall me with your acumen.
I was asking you. I'll look it up if necessary, but I seriously doubt it has anything with one being a "professional" and one not being a "professional." Probably more along the lines of their number being up.

I was asking you. I'll look it up if necessary, but I seriously doubt it has anything with one being a "professional" and one not being a "professional." Probably more along the lines of their number being up.

Has to do with respect. Our ad has none. Get it?

You mean like a "professional AD" hiring a WR coach to lead a multi-million dollar football program? Nah, a "professional" wouldn't do that.
First, the AD who hired the WR wasn't Radakovich, it was Terry Don Phillips. I give him credit for two things with that hire. First, he was sold on Dabo's vision for the program and realized it might work. Second, he also realized he was hiring a complete unknown that could blow up in his face, and gave Dabo the lowest salary and lowest contract buy-out of any major college head coach in the country. All that says is: "If this doesn't work out, I'm going to fire him quickly and I don't want it to cost us an arm and a leg."

First, the AD who hired the WR wasn't Radakovich, it was Terry Don Phillips. I give him credit for two things with that hire. First, he was sold on Dabo's vision for the program and realized it might work. Second, he also realized he was hiring a complete unknown that could blow up in his face, and gave Dabo the lowest salary and lowest contract buy-out of any major college head coach in the country. All that says is: "If this doesn't work out, I'm going to fire him quickly and I don't want it to cost us an arm and a leg."
I know who hired him. My dad was friends with Bill McClellan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT