ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question guys...

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
How is Clempson able to reel in 5-star kids from other states when we just can not do it? Just happened to see they had three of them. Surprised that one of them wasn't Hyatt who had been one for a while. One from UConn country? Seriously? It's not a coaches aren't doing this or that post. I'm certain they have tried. But if the kids not from SC we don't have a chance. Why? Facilities are on par or better. Conference will always be better. Are they up to their old tricks again? We can discount it if we want but 5 stars are difference makers in way more cases than not. And when I see a school with no perceived advantages over USC from the same state reel in three it does raise eyebrows. For both reasons. How they did it and why we can't. Oh and by the way after the last half decade or so it's obvious they are no better than us anymore. As they will often try to sell with the overall record. So with all things being equal now resting on our 5 game win streak isn't good enough anymore. Don't reference the past!

No idea. Though our recruiting efforts have been on par with pathetic the entire history of our program.

For some, it may be because Clemson has an easier road to a national championship. With their schedule and the weakened state of the ACC, a national championship spot is more attainable than one is for a school who has a tougher row to hoe.

Not only that, but they have 7 or 8 of the top 100. Really can't explain it other than they are good recruiters with a good plan. You would think we would at least luck into an out-of-state 5 star once every 5 years.

Originally posted by Izodboy:

For some, it may be because Clemson has an easier road to a national championship. With their schedule and the weakened state of the ACC, a national championship spot is more attainable than one is for a school who has a tougher row to hoe.
I think a LOT of it has to do with 'negative recruiting' which whiney, Mamas' boys like Dablow excel in.

We should have turned up the heat on the 'Tillman Thing' a long time ago. Instate recruits know about this little Tater secret, but out-of-state kids do not, however, if informed, would think twice before committing to that Hell hole.

Mark Fields could have ended this ^^^^^ by holding out until the Clemson BOT meets prior to NSD. I'm thinking Dablow & Crew made a double secret promise to him. Betcha.

Because that cheerleader coach that everyone likes to pick on is one heck of a salesman. He knows how to push the right hot buttons with the kids and their mommas. I prefer a coach that knows his Xs and Os but maybe a happy medium exists where you can get both (I think they call that person Saban or Myer). SOS seems to be engaged in recruiting right now and it seems to be making a difference trying to keep the class together. Now let's just hope they get "coached up" and they develop into all they can be.

I asked an assistant coach from another SEC school that very question...

a few years ago, and he said "I have an idea, but I don't feel comfortable saying it'.

This is a pretty prominent coach from a strong SEC program (not SC). Read into it what you would like.

They have always recruited well but don't get lost of the fact USC has won 5 of 6. That can't be ignored in a conversation like this. They got wiped out on defense this past season. If USC wins at the Brice next Nov then that's 6 of 7. I still believe some of us still get too caught up in star power. If SOS finds a QB this spring/fall then USC will be right back in the thick of things. We will see a totally different and very much improved defense next year. The past 5 years or so the schools have been basically about even in terms of classes and USC has dominated.

It'$ $imple - clem$on'$ coaching $taff $pecialize$ in $elling their $chool to impre$$ionable $tudent athlete$.

Well according to a Clemson fan I talked to recently, we are the only school that pays their players. That is the ONLY way we got Gilmore, lattimore and Clowney to name a few. "How do you think lattimores mom got that car?" or "Clowney got lots of cash and was waiting for more and thats the only reason he waited until after signing day". They say they know this for a FACT!!!! Clemson just recruits based on coaching and program success, kids want to come there but Carolina pays their players.
I guess we need to get ready to get in trouble because it is a "FACT" according to Clemson about us cheating. Of course this is the same person that says Clemson if full of choir boys that all attend Newspring church with Dabo and other coaches and Carolina is full of thugs and troublemakers. They also say Clemson was the better team the last 5 years that carolina won but Clemson just didnt pull it out and really were not as into it.
It amazes me what they think and why. No school is perfect like they think Clemson is and Carolina is not as bad as they say it is.

I don't have a factual answer based on any inside knowledge. I do however know a young man ( I coached him for two years before I moved schools) who has an offer and is being recruited by both schools. He has visited both and camped at both. South Carolina was his first offer, Clemson and Wake, UGA and a couple of smaller schools have offered since. He's a 4 Star OL. He just finished his junior year in HS. He has had an offer from Carolina since July or so of 14. However, once he got his offer, the contact from our staff completely stopped. I speak with him regularly and he says he can't get our coaches to call him back, they don't call him to initiate, etc. He hears from Clemson constantly. They make him feel like the priority that he is. He comes from a poor background, non-traditional family, and has watched him single mom struggle all his life
He goes to clemson and calls me right after the game. "Coach, I really like it here, it feels like family." They make me feel welcome, blah blah blah. All the stuff you here from the kids they recruit. I think they do a great sale job on what they are, small town, small feel, come here, be a big fish at clemson-the world is yours.
I personally contacted our coaching staff and told them of his experience at Clemson and that he had a "great time" there.
They assured me that they would contact him. They did, but, they came to see a game of his versus Summerville. The fellow that I coach said that two of our coaches spent the whole time talking with Zach Bailey of Summerville, and sat on Summerville's sideline. They spoke to my former player once before the game, and not again. He has not heard from them since. Even Kevin Steele from Alabama came to see this young man personally. He's a big deal, and will have 20+ offers. He's in our back yard and we're letting him slip away because he doesn't feel wanted.

Originally posted by Ratheolcoach:
I don't have a factual answer based on any inside knowledge. I do however know a young man ( I coached him for two years before I moved schools) who has an offer and is being recruited by both schools. He has visited both and camped at both. South Carolina was his first offer, Clemson and Wake, UGA and a couple of smaller schools have offered since. He's a 4 Star OL. He just finished his junior year in HS. He has had an offer from Carolina since July or so of 14. However, once he got his offer, the contact from our staff completely stopped. I speak with him regularly and he says he can't get our coaches to call him back, they don't call him to initiate, etc. He hears from Clemson constantly. They make him feel like the priority that he is. He comes from a poor background, non-traditional family, and has watched him single mom struggle all his life
He goes to clemson and calls me right after the game. "Coach, I really like it here, it feels like family." They make me feel welcome, blah blah blah. All the stuff you here from the kids they recruit. I think they do a great sale job on what they are, small town, small feel, come here, be a big fish at clemson-the world is yours.
I personally contacted our coaching staff and told them of his experience at Clemson and that he had a "great time" there.
They assured me that they would contact him. They did, but, they came to see a game of his versus Summerville. The fellow that I coach said that two of our coaches spent the whole time talking with Zach Bailey of Summerville, and sat on Summerville's sideline. They spoke to my former player once before the game, and not again. He has not heard from them since. Even Kevin Steele from Alabama came to see this young man personally. He's a big deal, and will have 20+ offers. He's in our back yard and we're letting him slip away because he doesn't feel wanted.
If this it true, it's totally unacceptable and needs to be brought to Ray Tanner's attention. No excuse for this, none. This is a worse offense than the terrible D we put on the field, imo, because it's 100% controllable.

It's not hard.

1) Clemson's entire football program is designed for recruiting. They focus on it every single day. It drives everything they do in their football program - from Dabo driving kids and moms around campus in his car, to talking to them about the bible when he sits down with them.

2) Clemson sells this idea of "Clemson family" in everything they do. Of course every school sells the idea of family to some degree - because every team is a family. But Clemson promotes this heavily - and Dabo knows a lot of these kids come from broken families they can't depend on - so he sells them on the idea of family in football. Of course it's somewhat baloney because if you cant play football, no college team wants you in the family. But that doesn't matter. Kids can't see that- and buy the "family" line. Their fans use it to. I have friends that didn't even go to college that post things about "Clemson family' online on twitter and facebook begging recruits to come to Clemson.

3) They have a lot of good recruiters on their staff that think about recruiting all the time.

There's no if. It's true. I speak to the young man at least once every other week. He wouldn't lie to me, he would run through a brick wall for me. He got an invite to the US Army All-America combine earlier this month. He didn't even get a congrats text from his USC recruiters.

It's all about the Benjamins. I've got no use for anyone low enough to sells out to Clemson. I'm relieved to see them go as far away from Columbia as possible.

Wow just wow

Beyond unacceptable

It seems to me that we don't go after the out of state 5 stars all that hard. Could that be a difference in strategy as opposed to getting outworked? Perhaps the coaches are choosing to go after targets that are more realistic rather than spending a lot of time on kids that are long shots.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that strategy or even that I have any idea what I'm talking about. I may be entirely wrong about everything above. It just seems that Clemson goes after 5 star athletes in Florida every year and we don't really try all that hard. I don't necessarily consider an offer as really trying to get a player either. You've got to actively and continually recruit to have any real shot at these top guys unless they are in state or have some other connection to the program.

if what Ratherolcoach says is true, then it is disappointing. I understand that the young man may not be as high on our radar as his ranking says he should be but you have to do better than that.

I've said for years that we need one fan boy Gomer-type assistant coach (like Dabo) that will sit up all night writing love letters and sending tweets to recruits. A true, 100% used car salesman type that will literally tell a recruit anything and everything he wants to hear. We currently don't have one of those on staff and it's killing us. We should have hired Billy Napier a couple of years ago when we had the chance. He's now writing love letters at Alabama.

When Clowney went on his visit to Clemson Dabo told him he loved him within about 2 hours of talking to him. Do you think Spurrier would ever do that? I wouldn't either because it's weird and a little creepy. But like someone above said, half of these kids are poor and come from broken homes. Hearing a head coach of a major college football team tell them that he loves them means something. Who knows? It might be the first time the kid has heard that from an adult/parent/authority-type in months, years, or maybe ever.

Like Alec Baldwin said, "Because only one thing counts in this life: Get them to sign on the line which is dotted!"

I believe the majority of fans look at a recruiting class as the "whole" versus each of it's individual parts. Successful recruiting classes should address the specific NEEDS of the team and not the DESIRES of the fans. If you all remember the 2007 class that was deemed the most successful recruiting class ever at that time, we recruited 7 or 8 receivers that included 2 - 4 stars and 1 - 5 star. It seems like we may have finished 6th overall that year. The problem is, there is only one football in play at a time, and our recruiting class was overshadowed by the starpower of the receiving class. In short, we weren't sixth best at addressing all our needs.

I believe Dabo's past years (excluding this current class), Clemson has focused primarily on recruiting skill players such as QBs, RBs, and receivers, while neglecting or downplaying the need for a stout defense and solid OLs. This is why we beat them quite easily 5 consecutive years.
I believe Dabo heard our criticism that Clemson didn't recruit for trench support, and until he did, we would continue beating them.

I am happy to hear Spurrier say he believes they became a little "cocky" during the 3 - 11 win seasons. I have been disappointed in what I perceived to be complacent recruiting, even though all the pumpers stating we had witnessed 3 consecutive 11 win seasons, and should trust our coaches. I see some revitalization in recruiting efforts right now, but I believe it may be too little, too late for this year.

I honestly believe that there is a direct correlation between evangelism and recruting. They go hand in hand, in that the skill set of recruiting a student-athlete is comparable to the skill set of recruting someone to church.

Clemson has many people within their program who are devout Southern Baptists, so it stand to reason that they apply this same passion, fervor and focus on recruting players to Clemson. Their passion for Clemson is second only to their passion for their faith. From my life experience, Southern Baptists place exteme emphasis on bringing other indivduals into the church. Compare the experience of visitng a Southern Baptist church to virtually any Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopal church in the US. It's generally night and day. Baptists bend over backward to make you feel welcome. They call you, they send follow up letters. They truly CARE if you, a stranger, comes back the next Sunday. Most other demonimations take a more passive approach. Sure, they want you to join the church. They may even say hello to you in the hallway. But their model is built much more around keeping the people already there, compared to attracting new members. It's the same with Clemson. They bend over backward to sell their program. They send weekly care packages to high school coaches. They film YouTube videos about coming to Clemson. They send letters from Santa Claus to recruits. It's all VERY rooted in the evangelical approach to faith. I'm not saying they even make a conccious decison to apply these skills. It's just who they are, and its imbedded in their entire culture.

Disclaimer: I am a Gamecock fan, and I am a Presbyterian. None of this is inteded as a criticim of Baptism, but rather an observation that I believe most Southern Baptists would agree with, which is that they do a great job of trying to make you feel welcome when you visit their church.

This post was edited on 1/20 3:02 PM by WoodlandsCock

Originally posted by WoodlandsCock:
I honestly believe that there is a direct correlation between evangelism and recruting. They go hand in hand, in that the skill set of recruiting a student-athlete is comparable to the skill set of recruting someone to church.

Clemson has many people within their program who are devout Southern Baptists, so it stand to reason that they apply this same passion, fervor and focus on recruting players to Clemson. Their passion for Clemson is second only to their passion for their faith. From my life experience, Southern Baptists place exteme emphasis on bringing other indiduals into the church. Compare the experience of visitng a Southern Baptist church to virtually any Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopal church in the US. It's generally night and day. Baptists bend over backward to make you feel welcome. They call you, they send follow up letters. They truly CARE if you, a stranger, comes back the next Sunday. Most other demonimations take a more passive approach. Sure, they want you to join the church. They may even say hello to you in the hallway. But their model is built much more around keeping the people already there, compared to attracting new members. It's the same with Clemson. They bend over backward to sell their program. They send weekly care packages to high school coaches. They film YouTube videos about coming to Clemson. They send letters from Santa Claus to recruits. It's all VERY rooted in the evangelical approach to faith.

Disclaimer: I am a Gamecock fan, and I am a Presbyterian. None of this is inteded as a criticim of Baptism, but rather an observation that I believe most Southern Baptists would agree with, which is that they do a great job of trying to make you feel welcome when you visit their church.

This post was edited on 1/20 12:42 PM by WoodlandsCock
Dabo doesn't act, at least publicly, like someone who is a devout Christian of any denomination. I don't know anything about the other coaches and only the little I see of Dabo in public, but maybe you're right. It seems to me that he's simply a good salesman. That's what he was before he became a coach, and that's the skill set he's still using. Simple as that to me.

Dabo getting Spiller several years ago was big for them and has paved the way for offensive recruits out of Florida. Watkins was a direct result of Spiller and now Mcleod.

We have Alshon but the injury to Marcus was a blow to us in more ways than one. If he could have made it to the NFL and produce it would have resulted in other top offensive recruits.

QB is the one I can't figure out but we've signed some top recruits and Mitch is one. I just hope he pans out.

On defense, we just did not use the Clowney factor enough to our advantage and I think the coaches got lazy on that side of the ball. Having guys make it big in the NFL is the best thing for recruiting imo.

We can't change where we are located but the new facilities and new dorms/apts that are going up are top notch so we can't blame that any longer.

Originally posted by WoodlandsCock:

Clemson has many people within their program who are devout Southern Baptists, so it stand to reason that they apply this same passion, fervor and focus on recruting players to Clemson. Their passion for Clemson is second only to their passion for their faith. From my life experience, Southern Baptists place exteme emphasis on bringing other indiduals into the church. Compare the experience of visitng a Southern Baptist church to virtually any Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopal church in the US. It's generally night and day. Baptists bend over backward to make you feel welcome. They call you, they send follow up letters. They truly CARE if you, a stranger, comes back the next Sunday. Most other demonimations take a more passive approach. Sure, they want you to join the church. They may even say hello to you in the hallway. But their model is built much more around keeping the people already there, compared to attracting new members. It's the same with Clemson. They bend over backward to sell their program. They send weekly care packages to high school coaches. They film YouTube videos about coming to Clemson. They send letters from Santa Claus to recruits. It's all VERY rooted in the evangelical approach to faith. I'm not saying they even make a concious decison to apply these skills. It's just who they are, and its imbedded in their entire culture.

This post was edited on 1/20 1:33 PM by WoodlandsCock
Good post....and true.

Originally posted by Judson1:
How is Clempson able to reel in 5-star kids from other states when we just can not do it? Just happened to see they had three of them. Surprised that one of them wasn't Hyatt who had been one for a while. One from UConn country? Seriously? It's not a coaches aren't doing this or that post. I'm certain they have tried. But if the kids not from SC we don't have a chance. Why? Facilities are on par or better. Conference will always be better. Are they up to their old tricks again? We can discount it if we want but 5 stars are difference makers in way more cases than not. And when I see a school with no perceived advantages over USC from the same state reel in three it does raise eyebrows. For both reasons. How they did it and why we can't. Oh and by the way after the last half decade or so it's obvious they are no better than us anymore. As they will often try to sell with the overall record. So with all things being equal now resting on our 5 game win streak isn't good enough anymore. Don't reference the past!
You're making a lot of assumptions here. The SEC has already shown many chinks in its armor. Arguably the best SEC team featuring the heaviest cast of talent, Bama, could not pull off the victory in the playoffs. The idea that the conference will always be better is a bit absurd. If I'm not mistaken, some of the perceived SEC heavyweights were beaten by ACC teams.

The idea that Clemson has "no perceived advantages" stems from your own belief where bias can completely cloud your judgement. Each University has it's perks, but to say they are exactly the same or Clemson is sub par to USC is also absurd. That's fan speak.

Streaks only matter to the two Universities, a kid from Connecticut does not care about a 5 game win streak. A program has to stand on more than just a rivalry to garner the attention of recruits nationally. If USC can pull off a trip to the SEC championship soon, it'd probably do wonders for recruiting.

Originally posted by Dexter_Morgan:

You're making a lot of assumptions here. The SEC has already shown many chinks in its armor. Arguably the best SEC team featuring the heaviest cast of talent, Bama, could not pull off the victory in the playoffs. The idea that the conference will always be better is a bit absurd. If I'm not mistaken, some of the perceived SEC heavyweights were beaten by ACC teams.

The idea that Clemson has "no perceived advantages" stems from your own belief where bias can completely cloud your judgement. Each University has it's perks, but to say they are exactly the same or Clemson is sub par to USC is also absurd. That's fan speak.

Streaks only matter to the two Universities, a kid from Connecticut does not care about a 5 game win streak. A program has to stand on more than just a rivalry to garner the attention of recruits nationally. If USC can pull off a trip to the SEC championship soon, it'd probably do wonders for recruiting.
Very true. We could lose the next 5 in row to Clemson but if we win the East 3 of those 5 years we will be in the top 10, maybe even 5, in recruiting rankings. The rivalry only matters to in-state recruits and not even that much to them really.

Originally posted by Gamecock1993:
The rivalry only matters to in-state recruits and not even that much to them really.
If you're team hasn't beaten your in state rival sense you were in the 7th grade and you are from SC it matters. Don't kid yourself.

Just got off the phone with my former player. Seems the coaches are putting in some work. He said Spurrier, Sands, and Elliot stopped by last Thursday to see him in person. No details that I want to share here, but at least they stopped in!!!

Originally posted by NetworkX:
Originally posted by Gamecock1993:
The rivalry only matters to in-state recruits and not even that much to them really.
If you're team hasn't beaten your in state rival sense you were in the 7th grade and you are from SC it matters. Don't kid yourself.
Not really.

Kids want to go the NFL and feel wanted by their college recruiters.

If the kid feels like a priority and he feels he has a chance to get to the NFL at said school, that is all that matters.

One thing is campus. USC is an urban campus spread out over a mile from one end to the other. Busy streets run through campus, too. The school has made great strides to change that (parts of it were a real dump in the early 90s), but it's still right downtown.

The other thing that affects students is that the stadium is off campus. As adults we don't mind because we like to tailgate and we're the biggest part of the attendance. But as a student - and potential FB recruit - I would much rather go to a school where the stadium is in the middle of campus. Again, the school is making strides in changing the atmosphere around the stadium (an ex-pseudo-industrial park), but it's still 1 mile from the edge of campus with no real easy way to get there - other than to drive. On the plus-side - traffic is not bad as bad after games as some places.

Academically, though, USC is top-notch in a few different areas - notably business/international business and hotel/restaurant mgmt. And the academic support for players is second to none since the Dodie opened.

Ultimately, some kids like the feel of other campuses better than USC - what if we moved the Roost to the Horseshoe - and that is the difference maker.

Just got off the phone with my former player. Seems the coaches are putting in some work. He said Spurrier, Sands, and Elliot stopped by last Thursday to see him in person. No details that I want to share here, but at least they stopped in!!!
Ra, that's good to hear. I did a little sleuthing and think I figured out who you are talking about and I hope that our coaches put the effort in. It is a year out, so a lot can change between now and then.

It's about free housing, lake housing that is and cash flow shown on internet media and last but not least a free get out jail card anytime, anywhere. A pipe line to the NCAA that makes sure there is never an investigation.

Excellent question and there are some fine answers above me. As a Clemson person, I'll throw my 2 cents into the ring.

There are some similarities and a great many differences between the two campuses. The key to recruiting is to maximize your advantages and minimize your disadvantages. There's nothing to do in Clemson NOTHING. Dabo and company have turned this into an advantage (especially with parents) by selling how hard it is to get in trouble in Clemson and how easy it is to focus on football and academics. USC is in the SEC, by far IMHO the best conference in the NCAA. I'm sure that you guys play that card as much as you can as well as the fact that you are an urban campus with lots of stuff to do. Each program tries and sells what it has. IMHO, it's pretty amusing that we don't overlap a LOT more than we do. It's a pretty small state. I'm sure that we both approach the same ball players (especially the elite ones) at some point, but it seems that players go one way or the other pretty quickly. I can't remember the last time a blue chipper sat at a press conference with a Clemson and a USC hat to choose between.

I do think that the Clemson/USC rivalry means a lot in-state. I also think that USC has had the advantage if not dominated in state recruiting for the last 5 years or so. However, I'd suggest that the rivalry doesn't mean nearly as much out of state. And it's out of state where Clemson has been making big strides in recruiting. I'd also suggest that for the last 3 years that Clemson's bowl schedule has been MUCH better for it's brand than USC's (even though both teams won all 3 and USC has a 4 bowl game streak going) LSU, Ohio State, and Oklahoma are perceived as national powers while Michigan, Wisconson, and Miami just aren't. Clemson got 'sexy' wins here that it was able to sell to recruits.

Finally, there's coaching/staff. SS is one of the finest game day coaches and game planners ever. Period. He knows how to build a winning program, to get the most out of his players, develop them well, and have a plan in place that uses his strengths against an opponent. He is far superior to Dabo in this. I'd also suggest that USC has done a far better job at S&C over the past few years although that may be changing For 4/5 games that USC won, they clearly dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball. The last win, I think that Clemson looked better on both sides of the ball, but 6 turnovers will get you beat most games. This season, Clemson clearly dominated the LOS again on both sides and won. Dabo on the other hand is a salesman. He knows how to build a brand and how to hire like minded people that share his vision and can do the tasks he needs them to (ie the nuts and bolts of football). I've been around Dabo on numerous occasions and he's without a doubt one of the best speakers and most optimistic people I've ever met. He also is a tireless worker. He honestly believes he can win every game, his program is the best in the country, and that he can get any recruit to come to Clemson

Delusional? Perhaps. And I'd think most of you here would say Definitely. But when you combine that with some moderate success and a relentless work ethic, you get a pretty powerful combination. I think that if SS has a weakness as a coach, it's in recruiting. It's no secret he doesn't like it much and at UF, he really didn't have to work that hard at it to get premium athletes. It's harder at USC and although you've done very well at it, I think that had more to do with the assistants and the chance to play in the SEC for one of the best coaches ever than SS going into a home and winning over a player and his parents. That kind of hit home this year with SS saying he's going to retire soon and the uncertainty with the staff at the end of the season.

Dabo and an assistant visited in home with every committed prospect between the USC game and the dead period (Dec 15th I think). I've HEARD (but don't know) that SS didn't visit anyone and that very little contact between commits and staff took place. If that's true then Dabo and company simply outworked SS and company.

Been at work all day and just got on here to check. Ill be honest I expected about the third or fourth reply to start a downward spiral. But this is great. Some great insight! I know we are getting some great players in our own right. We are so much further along than where we once were. I do believe we have got to get back to Atlanta! That will help a lot. But there's no denying they got it going on in the upstate getting kids to sign on the dotted line. Remember about 6 years ago they got a commit early from a 5 star from Texas? He ended up changing to LSU but I don't think just high pressure got him committed. They have an appealing product. Maybe they tell the kid to commit even if he's not sure? Knowing that the buzz helps their efforts with others? Then after getting others to commit its more appealing to the original guy. Whatever it is lets hope the staff continues to underutilize them.

Here is a recruiting strategy. Recruit spys to find out how they do it so we can do it too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT