ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously what more does Christian Walker have to do ?

1 - The D'Backs need to lose Paul Goldschmidt to have a slot for him.
2 - You can bet your bottom dollar that Kershaw won't pitch to him again.

What I don’t get is why don’t the Diamondbacks trade him if you think Goldschmidt is the franchise or move Walker to another spot (maybe 3B).

I’m not much for players demanding a trade but I believe if I were Christian Walker I might be. Right now he’s on pace for the AAA Hall of Fame and can’t get a month in the majors.

Reactions: Judson1
It really has been a bad break for him to be with the organization he is with. Has to be frustrating for him, especially considering that this is his career. Give him credit for continuing to play well. Hopefully someone will trade for him at some point. Makes you wonder why someone hasn’t yet.

I bet teams have inquired on a trade but maybe Arizona is too unrealistic about what they want in exchange for Walker.

I bet teams have inquired on a trade but maybe Arizona is too unrealistic about what they want in exchange for Walker.

Don’t get why you would ask too much for a guy you won’t play. But after the Braves raked them over the coals trading Shelby Miller for Inciarte and Swanson, I’m sure the new GM is hesitant to make a “blockbuster trade.”

AAA Player of the year last year and still stuck in AAA.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Seems like the player's union for baseball would impose rules for players trapped at the minor leagues, where the major league team that owns the rights has to have a limited time frame of making room for him, or if they don't because they already have a top player at the position, then make a fair trade to another team that can use him. And by fair trade have it arbitrated by a 3rd party. So young players won't be forever trapped during prime years in the minors, because the team that owns their rights only care about them as an insurance policy.....

Reminds me of Tim Jones from Sumter. Drafted by the Cardinals in 1985 and spent most of his time in AAA as insurance to Ozzie Smith. Never was traded and never could get the break he needed to stay in the majors. Retired in 1993.

Seems like the player's union for baseball would impose rules for players trapped at the minor leagues, where the major league team that owns the rights has to have a limited time frame of making room for him, or if they don't because they already have a top player at the position, then make a fair trade to another team that can use him. And by fair trade have it arbitrated by a 3rd party. So young players won't be forever trapped during prime years in the minors, because the team that owns their rights only care about them as an insurance policy.....

Actually, that rule has already been in place for several years and during the spring of 2016, I believe, maybe 2015, the Yankees lost a former Gamecock player to the White Sox. Obviously, arbitration was not involved. It appears that you may have a misunderstanding of when & where, in baseball, any type of arbitration begins or is involved. Arbitration is used to settle a single impasse, when all other points have been agreed upon ... i.e. the player wants $2 million/year, the club wants to pay $1 million. The arbitrator will decide and select one or the other, and not suggest some sort of compromise. Major League baseball uses 'binding arbitration' which means all parties involved have already agreed to accept the arbitrators decision.

Don't laugh ... and I may be wrong as to the number ... but, it's something like 'section eight' of the players agreement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thigh Man
It's called Rule 5 but player can not be on major league teams 40 man roster and has to have 5 years in minor leagues. Catch is team claiming them has to carry them on their major league roster for one year or they will be offered back to original team at $50k purchase price. Not many major league teams are willing to commit to a year on big league club but it does happen. Christian has simply had terrible luck as he was drafted by Baltimore in the 4th round then several years ago they signed Chris Davis their 1st baseman to a mega 7 year deal. That effectively ended Christian's chances there than he gets stuck behind Goldschmidt after bouncing around from the Braves and Reds minor league teams. Rule 5 draft might be his best way out of current situation.

It's called Rule 5 but player can not be on major league teams 40 man roster and has to have 5 years in minor leagues. Catch is team claiming them has to carry them on their major league roster for one year or they will be offered back to original team at $50k purchase price. Not many major league teams are willing to commit to a year on big league club but it does happen. Christian has simply had terrible luck as he was drafted by Baltimore in the 4th round then several years ago they signed Chris Davis their 1st baseman to a mega 7 year deal. That effectively ended Christian's chances there than he gets stuck behind Goldschmidt after bouncing around from the Braves and Reds minor league teams. Rule 5 draft might be his best way out of current situation.

The problem is Walker IS on the 40 man roster. In fact he’s player 26 on the 25 man roster. Basically this rule does nothing to help his situation, it only hurts it.

Reactions: jeff2001
But...but...but...that's what we were told!!!!!

(Thank heavens CMK doesn't believe that.)

Not sure what Kingston believes with regards to the relative difficulty of hitting a baseball. Don't know that he's addressed the subject directly (maybe he did & I missed it??). I know that the coaches & players I've heard speak of it over the years say it's damn hard to hit a baseball.Teddy Ballgame, one of the 2-3 (if not the best) pure hitters ever, talked about it quite frequently. Multi-sport athletes who played baseball will almost always say hitting a baseball is the toughest task they faced. I don't think the Chadster was giving his guys an excuse when he said this...just matter-of-factly stating an axiom inherent to the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT