ADVERTISEMENT

Shawn Smith de-commits, good luck to him.*

His dream is UGA despite no offer, and said so after his commitment, good luck to him. He may want to keep that to himself if the next school he commits to is not UGA.

Like coach said a player can keep shopping and if that is the way they want to play the game so can the school or something like that.

Didn't feel like a priority after we got other receiver commitments. Oh well. I like the other "Smiths" just fine.
I didn't sense any bitterness from him. He's just being realistic after talking to the coaches. Sounds like Muschamp got higher-rated prospects and would prefer to have the extra scholly anyway. Meanwhile, Smith has plenty of time to find a new home where he'll be more likely to see PT. Should work out fine for all involved in the end.

I didn't sense any bitterness from him. He's just being realistic after talking to the coaches. Sounds like Muschamp got higher-rated prospects and would prefer to have the extra scholly anyway. Meanwhile, Smith has plenty of time to find a new home where he'll be more likely to see PT. Should work out fine for all involved in the end.
You're right. I didn't mean to make it sound that way. Good luck to him.

No hard feelings. Life's short, go where your hearts content or try like hell to get there.
Wish him luck.

Think the phantom replacement (wr take in place of Smith) will be available after a 4 win season?

Edit: isn't he a 4star? How is losing a 4 star instate kid good?

Last edited:
Think the phantom replacement (wr take in place of Smith) will be available after a 4 win season?

Edit: isn't he a 4star? How is losing a 4 star instate kid good?
he's a mid range 3 star out of coastal Georgia...hate all decommits but we'll be just fine. Truth is, we probably should have held off on the offer.

We will see a ton of de commits and re commits before february. Too many other things in life to worry about

Yes I agree. Shaun shows himself to be a class guy. Good luck to you Shaun.

Yep seems like a good kid that just got out recruited. Here is Phil's article on it

By Phil Kornblut

On April 30th, USC coach Will Muschamp tweeted out a pair of “Spurs Up” alerts indicating he had accepted two commitments. That day RB Kyshaun Bryan of Ft. Lauderdale and WR Shawn Smith of Brunswick, GA acknowledged committing to the Gamecocks. Bryan still is. Smith is no longer, and apparently it wasn’t by his own decision.

“He committed and cut everybody else off,” said Smith’s coach Larry Harold. “We went back up there in July. I thought he had a good trip. They talked to the family and talked to him. We haven’t heard from South Carolina since then. He’s been trying to get in touch with them. I’ve been trying to contact them and haven’t received any phone calls back and I began to get worried. He was supposed to take an official this (past) weekend because he’s going to be an early enrollee.”

“Finally, I got a coach to call me back,” Harold continued. “I’ve seen them accept several wide receiver commits in the last couple of months. I know this game and I know how it is and once he told me they weren’t calling him back and they wouldn’t call me back I began to get real worried. Finally, they called me and basically what they did was renege on his scholarship offer and offered him a grayshirt instead which is not going to work for him. He comes from a single parent home, he has a child and he’s already done the enrollment process. He’s going to graduate early and was looking forward to enrolling at South Carolina. This has kind of left the kid stuck out to dry.”

“I have tremendous respect for coach Will Muschamp,” said Harold. “I’ve known him from his time at Florida and those coaches. But this is the side of recruiting nobody knows about. There will be comments on Twitter, people bashing him, but they don’t know the other side when you have this kid you really want but I guess somebody better they feel comes along and basically the kid is hung out to dry. Now this kid has to start the recruiting process all over again. We honored his commitment and cut everybody else that was recruiting him off.”

“I’m just really sour right now because when it comes to my kids, they come first,” the coach continued. “My whole thing was, if you had led us know in July or August that you after some guys that were a higher priority, it could have been better for him because he could have had other schools actively recruiting him. I’m not trying to bash South Carolina. The numbers game is what it is. But these coaches throw these offers out and this kid committed, put his whole life on hold, and now he’s stuck holding the bag. He had no other choice but to decommit.”

This development could have even greater effect on USC. The Gamecocks are recruiting Harold’s 2019 standout offensive lineman Warren McClendon who happens to be the first cousin of Gamecock recruiter Bryan McClendon.

“I’m not going to commit on that at this time,” Harold said. “I’m really hurt at this time at how they handled this situation with Shawn. I understand the numbers. I think two of the guys were from the state and they felt like they were first priority and I understand that, but give the kid, give me a call and let us know early on instead of waiting until October. He graduates in December and now we’re going to have to scramble to try to find another school for him to go to. He’s a great kid and he did what he was supposed to do. When he committed he literally shut everybody else off. And now he’s stuck holding the bag. My heart goes for him.”

I think the longterm advantages of putting him on scholarship might have overcome the disadvantages, once you consider the possible negative trickle-down effect with other recruits. JMO

I think the longterm advantages of putting him on scholarship might have overcome the disadvantages, once you consider the possible negative trickle-down effect with other recruits. JMO
SOS definitely felt some recruiting kickback due to similar tactics

Others will say "big boy recruiting"

I'm inclined to agree with you

Pretty much all schools are doing this or have been doing it for a while. Hate it for the kid but unfortunately the pressure to win right now is the ultimate reason. Keep in mind, his high school coach can spin it anyway he wants but evidently muschamp offered to honor the commitment, just not in the spring.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Yep seems like a good kid that just got out recruited. Here is Phil's article on it

By Phil Kornblut

On April 30th, USC coach Will Muschamp tweeted out a pair of “Spurs Up” alerts indicating he had accepted two commitments. That day RB Kyshaun Bryan of Ft. Lauderdale and WR Shawn Smith of Brunswick, GA acknowledged committing to the Gamecocks. Bryan still is. Smith is no longer, and apparently it wasn’t by his own decision.

“He committed and cut everybody else off,” said Smith’s coach Larry Harold. “We went back up there in July. I thought he had a good trip. They talked to the family and talked to him. We haven’t heard from South Carolina since then. He’s been trying to get in touch with them. I’ve been trying to contact them and haven’t received any phone calls back and I began to get worried. He was supposed to take an official this (past) weekend because he’s going to be an early enrollee.”

“Finally, I got a coach to call me back,” Harold continued. “I’ve seen them accept several wide receiver commits in the last couple of months. I know this game and I know how it is and once he told me they weren’t calling him back and they wouldn’t call me back I began to get real worried. Finally, they called me and basically what they did was renege on his scholarship offer and offered him a grayshirt instead which is not going to work for him. He comes from a single parent home, he has a child and he’s already done the enrollment process. He’s going to graduate early and was looking forward to enrolling at South Carolina. This has kind of left the kid stuck out to dry.”

“I have tremendous respect for coach Will Muschamp,” said Harold. “I’ve known him from his time at Florida and those coaches. But this is the side of recruiting nobody knows about. There will be comments on Twitter, people bashing him, but they don’t know the other side when you have this kid you really want but I guess somebody better they feel comes along and basically the kid is hung out to dry. Now this kid has to start the recruiting process all over again. We honored his commitment and cut everybody else that was recruiting him off.”

“I’m just really sour right now because when it comes to my kids, they come first,” the coach continued. “My whole thing was, if you had led us know in July or August that you after some guys that were a higher priority, it could have been better for him because he could have had other schools actively recruiting him. I’m not trying to bash South Carolina. The numbers game is what it is. But these coaches throw these offers out and this kid committed, put his whole life on hold, and now he’s stuck holding the bag. He had no other choice but to decommit.”

This development could have even greater effect on USC. The Gamecocks are recruiting Harold’s 2019 standout offensive lineman Warren McClendon who happens to be the first cousin of Gamecock recruiter Bryan McClendon.

“I’m not going to commit on that at this time,” Harold said. “I’m really hurt at this time at how they handled this situation with Shawn. I understand the numbers. I think two of the guys were from the state and they felt like they were first priority and I understand that, but give the kid, give me a call and let us know early on instead of waiting until October. He graduates in December and now we’re going to have to scramble to try to find another school for him to go to. He’s a great kid and he did what he was supposed to do. When he committed he literally shut everybody else off. And now he’s stuck holding the bag. My heart goes for him.”

Pretty much all schools are doing this or have been doing it for a while. Hate it for the kid but unfortunately the pressure to win right now is the ultimate reason. Keep in mind, his high school coach can spin it anyway he wants but evidently muschamp offered to honor the commitment, just not in the spring.
If that article is true this was a bad move if nothing else let him know as soon as you do but I'm a believer that if you offer a kid and he excepts you take him. We kill kids for shopping around after they commit but we are going to give coaches a pass? I hope this isn't true

Reactions: Tigergrad79
If that article is true this was a bad move if nothing else let him know as soon as you do but I'm a believer that if you offer a kid and he excepts you take him. We kill kids for shopping around after they commit but we are going to give coaches a pass? I hope this isn't true
Dabo did it to a rb out of ga a couple years ago, Spurrier did it a couple years ago to a de from ga, Jimbo did it to a de that ended up signing with us a couple years ago, Petrino did it to a sc kid and those are just a few that I can think of. Not saying it's right, just that it is common practice in cfb nowadays. All the more reason for the ncaa to have an early signing period which would help protect the players and schools

Agree. Bush league move on our end IF TRUE. I don't care if other schools do it. At least give him a call or return his calls and let him know where he stands.

Dabo did it to a rb out of ga a couple years ago, Spurrier did it a couple years ago to a de from ga, Jimbo did it to a de that ended up signing with us a couple years ago, Petrino did it to a sc kid and those are just a few that I can think of. Not saying it's right, just that it is common practice in cfb nowadays. All the more reason for the ncaa to have an early signing period which would help protect the players and schools
What I don't get is why all the bitching when a top rated player de-commits? You (posters) can't have it both ways.

Reactions: sgacock
Agree. Bush league move on our end IF TRUE. I don't care if other schools do it. At least give him a call or return his calls and let him know where he stands.
You are hearing one side of the story. The kids high school coach can say whatever he wants and muschamp can't defend it because of ncaa rules that don't allow him to comment.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Don't care what dabo or anyone else does I want our coaches to have high character. If you expect kids to shut down recruiting when they commit you should too. I'm embarrassed for muschamp if this is true so many ways he could have went about this without making himself and our university look bad.

IMO grown men who make Millions should be held to a higher standard than 17 year old high schoolers.
I'm with you. You'll never hear me complain about a 17 year old changing his mind. I played basketball in college. I received a better offer at the 11th hour and de-committed from my original commitment (one was a partial scholarship, one was a full scholarship) . For many different reasons, it happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT