ADVERTISEMENT

Shocked at the Riley move.

Rhizzlebop

Sep 30, 2009
Curious what is being heard as the rumors on why? He was the king of Oklahoma, a premium job, premium pay, premium talent, and loved there as far as I know. Why in 5he world would he leave Oklahoma for high tax cali and deal with the drama of the powers in LA thinking they are still elite and great even though they havnt won big since Pete Carroll stopped cheating there.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
Curious what is being heard as the rumors on why? He was the king of Oklahoma, a premium job, premium pay, premium talent, and loved there as far as I know. Why in 5he world would he leave Oklahoma for high tax cali and deal with the drama of the powers in LA thinking they are still elite and great even though they havnt won big since Pete Carroll stopped cheating there.
LA is not for me but most people with money would prefer LA over Norman. I'm not sure he's worried about the taxes.

I would guess he also feared being in the middle of the pack in the SEC. Shouldn't be a problem getting USC to the top.

I think he wins there. But, I'm not sure that's his scene, and whether he stays, well, that's an interesting aspect of this. Meanwhile, Brian Kelly to LSU? These "fits".......don't!

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Winning the Big 12 is a heck of a lot easier than winning the SEC.

They fixed the stadium and they're going to fix some more stuff. It was 75 in LA today. California is replete with high school talent. LA is a sports town. They have beaches, too. Southern Cal is by itself as a legacy program on the Left Coast. Pac 12 a piece of cake. Highly regarded academics. Tie-in with the Rose Bowl. Lots of national media in LA. That's about all I got.

Ah, you'll get over it shortly. Then something else will come down the pike.
That is probably true.

I just think like Mullen. He had it rolling in Miss. Had to go somewhere else. Now he's out and had a lot more stress reaching unemployment. Could have stayed and kept that thing rolling. Winning 8-9 at stage and you're a king. 8-9 at florida and you're on the hot seat and soon to be fired.

LA over Norman, Okla., is not even a fair fight for a lot of people when you factor in the beautiful weather, beautiful scenery, and all the benefits of big city life (if that's what you're into). Taxes are just about irrelevant when you're making that much money. He has a chance to resurrect a legendary program while doing it in a much easier conference to compete in AND in an extremely talent-rich area. Also, the SoCal boosters are actually pretty hands-off compared to SEC schools and the like -- they let Clay Helton spin his wheels for how many years before they finally woke up? Seems like a pretty obvious slam dunk to me.

That is probably true.

I just think like Mullen. He had it rolling in Miss. Had to go somewhere else. Now he's out and had a lot more stress reaching unemployment. Could have stayed and kept that thing rolling. Winning 8-9 at stage and you're a king. 8-9 at florida and you're on the hot seat and soon to be fired.
It was a job too far. Lots of people have done it. Chuck Fairbanks is one of he early ones I remember. He never should have left OU. Dietzel never should have left LSU. Bielema never should have left Wisconsin. Having left UPC, Danny Ford wasted his time going to Arkansas - stole that job right out from under another man. The woods are full of men who went a job too far. Could be argued that Carlen never should have left Texas Tech, either.

Reactions: rogue cock
That is probably true.

I have to wonder if these big buyouts are counterproductive for success. What's the motivation to work your a** off to succeed when your employer tells you "buuuuuut if you totally suck it up and run the program into the ground, we'll give you $10+ million to go away." In Mullen's case, I'm seriously wondering if he pretty much mailed it in because he knew the buyout was there waiting on him. He got $12 million, which for a normal person, means he can live handsomely for the rest of this life without ever having to work again.

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
I have to wonder if these big buyouts are counterproductive for success. What's the motivation to work your a** off to succeed when your employer tells you "buuuuuut if you totally suck it up and run the program into the ground, we'll give you $10+ million to go away." In Mullen's case, I'm seriously wondering if he pretty much mailed it in because he knew the buyout was there waiting on him. He got $12 million, which for a normal person, means he can live handsomely for the rest of this life without ever having to work again.
Florida also just finished paying off McElwain's buyout in July of this year.

This is really what it boils down to. There were beat writers that cover Oklahoma essentially saying this was the primary reason.
There really is no other reasonable explanation. OU could have come up with something financially competitive and he wouldn't have had to bother with a rebuild. So it can't be money. It's not recruiting either.

I’m love turning on the VT and seeing Auburn vs. UGA as much as the next guy, and definitely more than Duke vs. Wake, but let’s not kid ourselves, the SEC blows this year. It could’ve been Alabama and UGA and the 12 dwarves, instead it’s just UGA and the 13 dwarves, who are by and large pedestrian as hell. Easier said than done, but if OU shells out some money for a actual DC, they will stomp some a$$ in this conference, as a great Southern Cal squad proved a few times back from 2003-05. And honestly, it’s not like any of the dwarves would make much noise in the Big 12, certainly not playoffs every year noise…..

Riley was pretty vocal about his displeasure of OU going to the SEC. He went from being the favorite to having to beat UGA and Bama every year just for a shot at a title. Now all he has to do is beat the Ducks and he's golden. Money isn't a issue anymore...it's winning titles for the most part.

Riley was pretty vocal about his displeasure of OU going to the SEC. He went from being the favorite to having to beat UGA and Bama every year just for a shot at a title. Now all he has to do is beat the Ducks and he's golden. Money isn't a issue anymore...it's winning titles for the most part.
Greg McEroy (ABC, ESPN) just said on The Ticket that everything was a done deal at L$U the night before Riley accepted USC. Sounds like USC money whipped him.

LA is not for me but most people with money would prefer LA over Norman. I'm not sure he's worried about the taxes.

I would guess he also feared being in the middle of the pack in the SEC. Shouldn't be a problem getting USC to the top.
He should worry about being able to fill the pool at his new house at the moment. The water restrictions in place now pretty much forbid it.

He should worry about being able to fill the pool at his new house at the moment. The water restrictions in place now pretty much forbid it.
They'll have some USC maintenance people draw some from a spigot on campus and haul it out to his house on a tanker truck. They'll do it at night.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
It’s funny and sad that Riley is openly lying by saying he did not know of USCs interest in him until after they lost to OkSt. Literally nobody believes that.

Comparing Norman and LA isn't a fair fight. I prefer NYC, but when the choice is suburban hell versus Malibu or Santa Monica, there's no comparison.

Reactions: rogue cock
Greg McEroy (ABC, ESPN) just said on The Ticket that everything was a done deal at L$U the night before Riley accepted USC. Sounds like USC money whipped him.
Yep...my neighbor is a LSU grad and said a deal was in place that Friday and was just waiting on his signature...then poof he was gone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT