ADVERTISEMENT

Should UT fire their baseball coach?

Gamecock Lifer

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2008
Just lost to Bama 3-2 in their first game in Hoover. Coming into the last series of the season we has an identical record to UT against common opponents, had we swpt them we would have caught them in SEC standings and we played them to a one run loss in the rubber match of the series. There was such outrage here after we lost to Bama yesterday- I assume all who feel Kingston failed this season and needs to be canned would agree UT should fire their coach as well… Right? 🤔

Just lost to Bama 3-2 in their first game in Hoover. Coming into the last series of the season we has an identical record to UT against common opponents, had we swpt them we would have caught them in SEC standings and we played them to a one run loss in the rubber match of the series. There was such outrage here after we lost to Bama yesterday- I assume all who feel Kingston failed this season and needs to be canned would agree UT should fire their coach as well… Right? 🤔
I wasn’t, and I’m still not, advocating for Kingston to be fired yet. BUT! Did UT go to Hoover needing a few wins to host a regional? Did we sweep, and therefore tie, UT? Did we even win the series against UT? As of late-May 2021, UT and USC are two different programs in two different places.

Dont be dumb. No. They are better than us evidently. They beat us at the end of the season eventhough we knew a sweep would probably give us a regional host. Worst case even as as #2 seed.

I wasn’t, and I’m still not, advocating for Kingston to be fired yet. BUT! Did UT go to Hoover needing a few wins to host a regional? Did we sweep, and therefore tie, UT? Did we even win the series against UT? As of late-May 2021, UT and USC are two different programs in two different places.
Not nearly as far apart as you are implying.

Reactions: kidrobinski
I like what you did there

Not nearly as far apart as you are implying.
In terms of the programs, their coaches, where each program is trending? I think I went light on my Gamecocks and Kingston.

We all know USC’s baseball history over the past 20-25 years. Kingston inherited a great program following a bad downswing under Holbrook.

Do you know what Tony Vitello took over? UT hadn’t made a post-season in the previous 13-14 seasons.

How many times has UT finished above .500 in the SEC before Vitello took the job? Twice since 1997. He started absolutely nowhere with nothing. Kingston came to a destination. The expectations are different.

In terms of the programs, their coaches, where each program is trending? I think I went light on my Gamecocks and Kingston.

We all know USC’s baseball history over the past 20-25 years. Kingston inherited a great program following a bad downswing under Holbrook.

Do you know what Tony Vitello took over? UT hadn’t made a post-season in the previous 13-14 seasons.

How many times has UT finished above .500 in the SEC before Vitello took the job? Twice since 1997. He started absolutely nowhere with nothing. Kingston came to a destination. The expectations are different.
And yet their great year is shockingly similar to our current season in which some fans are literally calling for our coach’s head. They even lost to the same team in the first game of Hoover as us…

Last edited:

If you currently want to see how much one coach can destroy a program in 6 years, you don't have to look far to the north.

Holbrook left very little on the roster when he left....especially pitching depth. Kingston inherited a once-great program and is in the process of rebuilding it.....same as the team to the north will have to do.

Hell yeah, UT beat us here and I want to fire their coach and he go to the ACC. This will put UT in a a rebuilding time with a new coach. :)

Also, keep in mind, you'll playing in Hoover, Bama's backyard...

The cost benefit analysis of not pitching our starters in the first few games of Hoover was the right call.

you MIGHT win a few games and you MIGHT get a regional vs resting your arms for the regional that you are almost guaranteed a two seed

I'm just amazed that our fans won't allow us to have ONE men's sport where we expect to be elite. Just one, that's all I'm asking. Comparing our baseball program to UT-JR? That's like comparing the history of UK basketball to Miss St basketball.

You all bring down expectations and make excuses for every other men's sport. Can we hold the line and expect to be great in one single men's program? Is that too much to ask?

I understand low expectations make it easier for fans, they don't have to face reality and call out their beloved Ray Ray. But often times the path of least resistance is not the right path.

If you currently want to see how much one coach can destroy a program in 6 years, you don't have to look far to the north.

Holbrook left very little on the roster when he left....especially pitching depth. Kingston inherited a once-great program and is in the process of rebuilding it.....same as the team to the north will have to do.
Kingston definitely inherited a rebuilding job. At least he inherited one at a historically great baseball school with resources and tradition. The UT coach inherited a building job at a less than mediocre SEC program. While Kingston has won more in Columbia than Vitello has in Knoxville, I'd argue that Vitello has made far more progress with his program.

Reactions: DeBoer31
And yet their great year is shockingly similar to our current season in which some fans are literally calling for our coach’s head. They even lost to the same team in the first game of Hoover as us…
Fans that are criticizing our coaches in any sport should be banned from attending games. Criticism should never be allowed.

I'm just amazed that our fans won't allow us to have ONE men's sport where we expect to be elite. Just one, that's all I'm asking. Comparing our baseball program to UT-JR? That's like comparing the history of UK basketball to Miss St basketball.

You all bring down expectations and make excuses for every other men's sport. Can we hold the line and expect to be great in one single men's program? Is that too much to ask?

I understand low expectations make it easier for fans, they don't have to face reality and call out their beloved Ray Ray. But often times the path of least resistance is not the right path.
Amen...and amen.

Other differences you purposely did not point out......

Tennessee is currently 42-15. SC is 33-21. Its been 5 years since SC won over 40 games in a season.
UT is currently ranked 4th in the nation. SC is unranked.
UT is a #2 seed in Hoover. We were a 7th seed.
UT is still playing in Hoover. Our boys are home.

For now, UT baseball has passed South Carolina. Thats painful.

Last edited:

Nothing I posted is relative to my expectations of our baseball or impactful to the overall long or short term success of the program. I was making a tongue in cheek comparison of the similarities of our season to theirs to highlight how resiculous it is for some of our fans to say we should be firing our coach right now. Nothing more. If success is someone’s goal for the program, how does trashing the coaches and admin on public forums at every turn positively impact the potential for success? It does not. That is the point being made in this thread…

Last edited:
Nothing I posted is relative to my expectations of our baseball or impactful to the overall long or short term success of the program. I was making a tongue in cheek comparison of the similarities of our season to theirs to highlight how resiculous it is for some of our fans to say we should be firing our coach right now. Nothing more. If success is someone’s goal for the program, how does trashing the coaches and admin on public forums at every turn positively impact the potential for success? It does not. That is the point being made in this thread…
We should've kept Chad Holbrook.

Yep.

Thought this quote was interesting from the Clemson baseball board: "Yep. Sure glad we had TDP who had the gonads to go with a very unpopular choice. Oh, and I can't stand the s o b Tanner but I give him props for firing his long time buddy Holbrook... Odd thing is, Holbrook was doing a better job in cootville than Monte has here."

Funny thing is, this quote isn't the only one by far....it is indicative of a lot of their feelings about ML and their AD.

Last edited:
Yep.

Thought this quote was interesting from the Clemson baseball board: "Yep. Sure glad we had TDP who had the gonads to go with a very unpopular choice. Oh, and I can't stand the s o b Tanner but I give him props for firing his long time buddy Holbrook... Odd thing is, Holbrook was doing a better job in cootville than Monte has here."

Funny thing is, this quote isn't the only one by far....it is indicative of a lot of their feelings about ML and their AD.
I'm honestly a little surprised that Lee has been disappointing. Not that I'm disappointed, being where he is. He just seemed like he knew what he was doing. 🤷‍♂️

If I have a say here, then...YES: they should fire their head baseball coach for losing to Alabama. And they should fire their head basketball coach Barnes too, for their baseball team losing to Alabama. Make it happen with the quickness.......

Exactly...Those who constantly bash and tear down the program and school are doing more harm than the ones that they deem as "accepting mediocrity." It must make them feel superior. Otherwise, why are they fans?

Don’t want to pour gas on the fire but Holbrook actually left a pretty talented roster behind. He just couldn’t coach them very well.

A pretty good number of kids off Holbrooks last team got drafted eventually. Whether you give the credit to Holbrook or Kingston, there was talent. Kingston’s second season was more of the rebuild than year one. That’s when we were depleted and really left holding the crap sandwich.

lol..we suck, they don't

Other differences you purposely did not point out......

Tennessee is currently 42-15. SC is 33-21. Its been 5 years since SC won over 40 games in a season.
UT is currently ranked 4th in the nation. SC is unranked.
UT is a #2 seed in Hoover. We were a 7th seed.
UT is still playing in Hoover. Our boys are home.

For now, UT baseball has passed South Carolina. Thats painful.
In one poll. We're ranked in all the others.

Don’t want to pour gas on the fire but Holbrook actually left a pretty talented roster behind. He just couldn’t coach them very well.

A pretty good number of kids off Holbrooks last team got drafted eventually. Whether you give the credit to Holbrook or Kingston, there was talent. Kingston’s second season was more of the rebuild than year one. That’s when we were depleted and really left holding the crap sandwich.
Agree. That's what I was attempting to reference when I mentioned depth.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Well, when you don't have the respect of the players, that is what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT