ADVERTISEMENT

Shrine Bowler Nick Dixon has died.

Terrible. Prayers to his family, and the Spartanburg High football family. We always take these types of surgeries for granted. So trusting of the science in this day and time that we fail to remember how the line between life and death is a fine balance during anesthesia, and with drugs involved.

Terrible. Prayers to his family, and the Spartanburg High football family. We always take these types of surgeries for granted. So trusting of the science in this day and time that we fail to remember how the line between life and death is a fine balance during anesthesia, and with drugs involved.

Never want to be an Anesthesiologist, that's a hard job to monitor patients while they are under and watch how much of drugs you give to a patient...

Never want to be an Anesthesiologist, that's a hard job to monitor patients while they are under and watch how much of drugs you give to a patient...

And I surely have no inside information that the anesthesia had anything to do with it. Lots of factors that come into play. But we take surgeries like this for granted because of how far medicine has advanced. A start reminder that things can go wrong. Who knows what caused it at this point, but just a terrible tragedy.

Reactions: andcam and PC31
Interesting thing is that my son who had this surgery twice is now a CRNA. He is the one who puts you to sleep and wakes you up. He got interested in health care after having the surgeries.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
WOW! I wonder if it was a drug reaction from the anesthesia or the antibiotics? It's a simple procedure....Very sad...
No surgery is simple. won't know was behind this for while but you'd have to guess that it was either a failure in his labs to identify something he might be allergic to or blood clot. Based on my family's history, I've said for a long time that hospitals will kill you. No matter THIS should NEVER happen. Extremely sad

Spartanburg, complications during ACL surgery. Very sad.

We had a pretty close call with a football player not too long ago with malignant hyperthermia. It also could be related to idiopathic response to pain killers or anesthesia. It may even be a fatal arrhythmia.

Its just sad altogether though. I spent 10 days in the hospital for what was supposed to be minor surgery. No such thing.

Reactions: king ward
No surgery is simple. won't know was behind this for while but you'd have to guess that it was either a failure in his labs to identify something he might be allergic to or blood clot. Based on my family's history, I've said for a long time that hospitals will kill you. No matter THIS should NEVER happen. Extremely sad
What I have heard is that he had a reaction due to having Malignant Hypothermia.
It is a condition that is hereditory. And unless previously diagnosed it is extremely dangerous. There are no simple lab tests for it. Diagnosis requires a muscle biopsy.

My girlfriend is a CRNA for heart surgery. I asked her about this. She said it is a nightmare scenario. That there are procedures for stabalizing the patient and they review those constantly. However, in about 5% of the cases....it is unrecoverable.

Sometimes everything that can be done is done but to no avail.

I know this first hand..... as my daughter in law died 30 minutes after giving birth to my granddaughter. She passed clots to each lung. ...the doctors were right there and could do nothing. Undiagnosable and unrecoverable.

Reactions: myrtlecock
I knew a couple kids who died after knee surgery from embolism. Unfortunately, have an elderly friend who passed away yesterday from one after hernia surgery earlier in the week. No surgery should be taken lightly. Prayers for his family and teammates.

I knew a couple kids who died after knee surgery from embolism. Unfortunately, have an elderly friend who passed away yesterday from one after hernia surgery earlier in the week. No surgery should be taken lightly. Prayers for his family and teammates.
It doesn't hit the people the same as when a young person is lost, but y'all will remember Dick Schaap, the sportscaster. He died due to complications from knee replacement surgery. You never know.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Well, it can be complicated with older patients that have diabetes or other complications but a young person it shouldn't be that complicated for an anesthesiologist.

Well, it can be complicated with older patients that have diabetes or other complications but a young person it shouldn't be that complicated for an anesthesiologist.
Wrong. This type situation is much more likely to arise in a young person. Simply because many older people have already had anesthesia at some point in their lives. An 18 year old that had never had it is at a higher risk.

I spoke to a friend of mine last night. He was the director of medical services at 2 different hospitals. Retired after a 40 year career. He said that this condition is so rare...that he had never had one at any of the places he worked.

Wrong. This type situation is much more likely to arise in a young person. Simply because many older people have already had anesthesia at some point in their lives. An 18 year old that had never had it iat a higher risk.
. He was the director of medical services at 2 different hospitals. Retired after a 40 year career. He said that this condition is so rare...that had never had one at any of the places he worked
I spoke to a friend of mine last night. He was the director of medical services at 2 different hospitals. Retired after a 40 year career. He said that this condition is so rare...that he had never had one at any of the places he worked.

Well sir, I respectfully ask why do we rarely hear of a young person dying in this manner. I am not disputing what you say but you seem to be disputing yourself in the last two sentences . "He was the director of medical services at 2 different hospitals. Retired after a 40 year career. He said that this condition is so rare...that he had never had one at any of the places he worked".
If I misread your post I apologize. I am not a medical professional but I have rarely ever heard of a healthy patient dying from such - obviously my information is based on antidotal information.

Well sir, I respectfully ask why do we rarely hear of a young person dying in this manner. I am not disputing what you say but you seem to be disputing yourself in the last two sentences . "He was the director of medical services at 2 different hospitals. Retired after a 40 year career. He said that this condition is so rare...that he had never had one at any of the places he worked".
If I misread your post I apologize. I am not a medical professional but I have rarely ever heard of a healthy patient dying from such - obviously my information is based on antidotal information.
What I stated is not contradictory at all. And you rarely hear of someone dying of this precisely because it is an extremely rare condition.

So rare that there is only one drug to treat it at onset. And because the drug is so seldom used it is not made in large quantities. And because of that it is possibly the most expensive drug in the medical field. In fact, I was also told that few hospitals stock full dose of it. That if needed, they administer one half dose and if needed they then have to get the rest from another hospital.

Bottom line is....sometimes everything can be done right and there can still be a bad outcome.

Last edited:
What I stated is not contradictory at all. And you rarely hear of someone dying of this precisely because it is an extremely rare condition.

Sir, I think you just said something like what I just said, if not then I apologize and have no further comments about the subject. Regardless, of the reason I'm just sorry for the young man, his family and friends. May he RIP!

Sir, I think you just said something like what I just said, if not then I apologize and have no further comments about the subject. Regardless, of the reason I'm just sorry for the young man, his family and friends. May he RIP!
Indeed RIP...very sad

Hospitals can be a dangerous place to be. The risk of infection and other complications is high. Most are not this tragic.

Reactions: PC31
Hospitals can be a dangerous place to be. The risk of infection and other complications is high. Most are not this tragic.

Memorial Mission Hospital in Asheville has advise people not to visit patients since the flu bug is kicking up into high gear again. They don't prohibit visitors but ask if you do have to visit wear a mask. The reason I know is because a lady that use to work for me is in MMH and I called and asked could I visit her and that is when the hospital operator informed me of the above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT