ADVERTISEMENT

SHUT THE MARKETS DOWN!

This madness is not going to stop until the media with their Democratic friends have drained every man and woman of their life savings . They have shut everything down now its time to shut the market down so, they can't legally rob the american people anymore.
Are you in the short term game? If not, then why does this matter?

Reactions: TheReelEss
I can't touch it for 20 years anyway-at least without getting penalized

He has a point.

Yeah! And it's the top of his head.

Do you and numb nuts sincerely believe the Fire Department should be concerned about how much water they are using while putting out the fire???

Don't waste my time with another foolish response. Tell it to the Dead. They have plenty of time to listen to opinions.

Reactions: funktavious

Do you and numb nuts sincerely believe the Fire Department should be concerned about how much water they are using while putting out the fire???

Don't waste my time with another foolish response. Tell it to the Dead. They have plenty of time to listen to opinions.

Waste your time (LOL!!!) you wasted your time reading it??

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: roosterbell
IMO, if someone can't afford to lock their money for a long term, they shouldn't be investing in the stock / fund market. "People" (supply and demand) are what/who makes the market fluctuate wildly.
I'm 62 years old and heavily invested in dividend funds. I plan to let my 401K investments ride out till I reach the age at which I have to begin making withdrawals (currently @ 72years old). At that time, I will begin sweating the NAVs of my account holdings, but until then, I welcome the opportunity to lower my investment basis by buying low right now.
It (the market) WILL come back....as Trump said. People have to invest or they get depressed. It's what makes the world revolve on it's axis.

Their keeping the markets open so they can have access to your money .How many of you truly trust the Government system we have in place? Especially Wall Street , just asking...

Reactions: Dizzy01
This madness is not going to stop until the media with their Democratic friends have drained every man and woman of their life savings . They have shut everything down now its time to shut the market down so, they can't legally rob the american people anymore.
I have put in more buy orders this week than I have in the last 5 years. I suppose we want them to stop selling gas because the prices have tumbled? Time to buy.

And by Democratic friends, you mean a virus? Markets rise and markets fall, like when Republicans were in charge during the Great Recession and Depression or Democrats during the internet bubble. Stick to Sesame Street, economics is for adults.

This narrative about the media and Democrats causing this is not true. A virus caused this. That's a political strategy in order to deflect blame in an election year. The markets were kept high for years by low fed rates, and massive government spending (among Bush, Obama, and Trump). Instead of preparing for the next crisis, which was bound to happen, we used the "credit card", as they say. You can say the stock market was artificially kept high in a sense. The stock market was due for a correction, and the virus accelerated that. This is not a partisan issue, and people need to stop framing it as such.

You have no way of knowing that. These are unprecedented times.

This isn’t getting resolved anytime soon. To think so is to be ignorant to the facts. Schools are shut down. Businesses are shutting down. Some work from home. Others don’t have that option. It won’t get better until this pandemic is resolved. It will take months not days.

Are you in the short term game? If not, then why does this matter?

Because I owe a bunch of taxes from 2019. I may not have enough money left to pay them if it continues. I am not a member of Congress, nor am I a politician, nor a member of the FBI. The law applies to me. The IRS is brutal. They can take everything I own. They may take my life savings.

This narrative about the media and Democrats causing this is not true. A virus caused this. That's a political strategy in order to deflect blame in an election year. The markets were kept high for years by low fed rates, and massive government spending (among Bush, Obama, and Trump). Instead of preparing for the next crisis, which was bound to happen, we used the "credit card", as they say. You can say the stock market was artificially kept high in a sense. The stock market was due for a correction, and the virus accelerated that. This is not a partisan issue, and people need to stop framing it as such.

Exactly!...OP needs to realize this impacts everyone not just a certain group. Some people are not even lucky enough to have investment savings and are barely getting by. This should be one of the times we come together as Americans to get through this. I know everyone is frustrated but this kind of divisive rhetoric does not help.

I'm just wondering why I read that last sentence as ".... plenty of time to listen to ONIONS."

Reactions: 92Pony
Exactly!...OP needs to realize this impacts everyone not just a certain group. Some people are not even lucky enough to have investment savings and are barely getting by. This should be one of the times we come together as Americans to get through this. I know everyone is frustrated but this kind of divisive rhetoric does not help.
But you gotta admit (and understand, I'm not sitting here, red-faced arguing this - just discussing), the Democrats are certainly drooling over this stock market 'correction', anticipating/hoping it will be a millstone around the collective Republican neck come November. And the media, with the same desire, is milking this for alllllll that it's worth. We are definitely in unprecedented times though for sure!

Some good points. I truthfully do not believe the pitch and dynamics of the of the media response can be ruled out as exacerbating the adverse direction of the peripheral issues arising from the virus. We could have done with more Walter Cronkite and less Geraldo Rivera.

But you gotta admit (and understand, I'm not sitting here, red-faced arguing this - just discussing), the Democrats are certainly drooling over this stock market 'correction', anticipating/hoping it will be a millstone around the collective Republican neck come November. And the media, with the same desire, is milking this for alllllll that it's worth. We are definitely in unprecedented times though for sure!

Republicans, Democrats, and independents all have a interest in a good market and economy. We all live here.

If what you say is true, Dems in a congress would be obstructionists and offer no help to in terms of fiscal stimulus. This is not the case. I’m sure there are legit disagreements on how to do it. For example, Dems would to tie conditions to any corporate bailouts - no stock buy backs, not used to fund executive bonuses, worker protections, etc.

Compare this to 2009 when only 3 Rep senators voted for the Recovery act. If Dems really wanted to hang this around the Rep’s necks, they should do nothing. That would hurt the country even more, so I’m grateful it’s not happening.

Also, I hope no one blames a political party for a pandemic. Critiquing the response to it and demanding accountability is fair game however. Tweeting about fake poll numbers this morning, for example, is an outrageous and absurd thing to do in a time like this.

Let me be clear ,the media carries the Democrats water there is no denying that .The Republicans are not much better .These media outlets are looking for two things, a way to control the narrative for their big donors and control the money behind the scenes.Its all about the money and control. I'm truly sorry if you can't see that .I don't care about either party myself.The media comes into your living room every night and day with their drama and hysteria and it drives the way people feel.

Because I owe a bunch of taxes from 2019. I may not have enough money left to pay them if it continues. I am not a member of Congress, nor am I a politician, nor a member of the FBI. The law applies to me. The IRS is brutal. They can take everything I own. They may take my life savings.

Hope you have been reading the news. Mnuchin has been talking about deferring tax payments.

Apparently, when the market goes up, it's the Republicans. When it goes down, the Democrats. Honestly, if you are that blinded by ideology and emotional about investing, you really shouldn't be invested in the markets.

This. The markets have thrived under Republicans and Democrats, and we have also had recessions under both. The fact of the matter is, when it comes to the economy, Republicans and Democrats have virtually the same polices. Donald Trump is proposing sending Americans checks directly, and he is also pushing for a bailout of multiple industries. These policies are almost identical to those done under Bush and Obama. They were RINO and liberal policies one day, the next day they are conservative. That's all crap honestly. The fact is the two parties are not very different, especially when it comes to economics (it's been like this for decades actually).

Last edited:

if you are in the long term then this should matter less. Long as in 5+ years.

There are three parts to this issue - the virus panic, the economic fallout, and the political partisanship.

Given the vaccines that are undergoing trials there should be an answer to this within the next 6-8 months with all the fast tracking that is going on. The probability is high. Moderna, the pharmaceutical company, is worth watching.

The second issue is the economic fallout. The stimulus package has to be coordinated across countries. If not it is not going to be as effective as it needs to be. The $1 trillion sound large but in the big scheme of things coordination with the UK and the European countries along with Canada and Mexico is needed.

The third issue is the most vexing. The politics. The partisanship is killing the USA. The Media is taking sides and accentuating in bad ways every move either side makes. An issue that should be approached in a bipartisan fashion is now about blame. I am an independent and I vote on issues so this mudslinging is quite disconcerting. If we as a country don’t get our act together we have no one else to blame but ourselves.

What is creating your tax liability? I’m not financial expert, but if you are looking to offset taxable income, selling off stock at a loss will at least help you for next year’s return.

BTW - I understand where you are coming from. I’m paying 3X in taxes this year versus last, and because of Trumps tax changes, the impact was unexpected. Thank goodness I have cash on hand on don’t have to rely on liquidating positions right now to pay taxes.

On the bright side, we should have an additional 90 days to submit returns.

If you paid attention, you would have known many stocks were overvalued (Tesla worth more than VW ring a bell?) This is why I moved my 401K investments out of stocks and into fixed rate investments and bonds on February 9th. I didn't do it because of the spread of COVID-19, I didn't know it was going to be this bad. My portfolio is still down 4%, but not nearly as bad as the overall market.

What is creating your tax liability? I’m not financial expert, but if you are looking to offset taxable income, selling off stock at a loss will at least help you for next year’s return.

BTW - I understand where you are coming from. I’m paying 3X in taxes this year versus last, and because of Trumps tax changes, the impact was unexpected. Thank goodness I have cash on hand on don’t have to rely on liquidating positions right now to pay taxes.

On the bright side, we should have an additional 90 days to submit returns.

I haven't seen much detail about the proposed plan, but I believe it is a deferral of any payments, not an extension of the deadline to file.

Reactions: Silverspur02
He's just blowing off steam because he is worried. There is some extreme volatility right now. There are people getting rich off of these wild swings.

How are people getting rich off of the wild swings? I'm not doubting they are not people getting rich but just wondering how, I might try it myself. LOL! Maybe they are buying the lows knowing they will go back up?

How are people getting rich off of the wild swings? I'm not doubting they are not people getting rich but just wondering how, I might try it myself. LOL! Maybe they are buying the lows knowing they will go back up?

There are people who have the o o, the capital and the smarts to swing trade. You can also craft different options spreads to take a view in the market. You can also take a page from storied investors like Buffet, who says to be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when other are fearful. He was sitting on a lot of cash coming into this market.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT