ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Bryce Thompson Decommits From VPI

South Carolina recruiting: Bryce Thompson de-commits from Virginia Tech

Three-star ATH Bryce Thompson camped with the Gamecocks on Wednesday.

On Sunday night, three-star athlete Bryce Thompson, one of the top overall prospects from the state of South Carolina, announced on Twitter that he will de-commit from Virginia Tech.

The decision comes nearly 11 months after his pledge to the Hokies.

North Carolina State, South Carolina and Washington State are among his other Power 5 offers.

The Gamecock coaches got another in-person look at Thompson last Wednesday when he attended the second session of the Will Muschamp Football Camp. He worked primarily at defensive back with Travaris Robinson, but also slid over to wide receiver for reps during the 1-on-1 portion of camp.

Earlier this year, Thompson told SEC Country he’s being recruited by South Carolina to play as a nickel back and/or safety.

“I want to make sure that my whole family to be at every home game, too. I keep that in mind,” he said, during an interview in February. “My coaches, my high school coaches don’t have to go far to watch me play. I can still see all of my old friends and stuff.”

Thompson, who played his junior season at Ben Lippen School in Columbia, S.C., recently transferred back to Dutch Fork in Irmo, where his high school career began.

According to the 247Sports composite, he’s ranked as the No. 34 athlete in the Class of 2018. Thompson is No. 7 overall among prospects from the state of South Carolina.

Reactions: okccock
Whoever gets the kid will like him. He is a good athlete, obviously, but his "game smarts" are just as impressive.

If bud foster and will muschamp, two of the all time best at putting dbs into the league, both want this kid he is a stud period

Foster and Muschamp? What do they know? Rod on the other hand knows it all. 3* forget him according to Rod.

Less then a week away from Dak Joyner commitment announcement, that should be our second 4 **** with Maxwell Lyama.

Melvin Ingram was a 3 star. He just signed a $66 million contract. That's $22 million per star for you Clemson fans.

Ingram was a 4 star on rivals, they still have the classes under recruiting and commitment list and go back all the way to 2002.

Ingram was 2007, the class where the players Fred Chatham the long time Duke Assistant, recruited and brought in from NC turned out so good as time passed, of course Spurrier not caring or following recruiting much, gave him his walking papers soon after, and would eventually make a guy like Jr, the worst possible person to that post, the recruiting coordinator.

Last edited:
Ingram was a 4 star on rivals, they still have the classes under recruiting and commitment list and go back all the way to 2002.

Ingram was 2007, the class where the players Fred Chatham the long time Duke Assistant, recruited and brought in from NC turned out so good as time passed, of course Spurrier not caring or following recruiting much, gave him his walking papers soon after, and would eventually make a guy like Jr, the worst possible person to that post, the recruiting coordinator.
You are correct. However, he was a 3 star on Scout, and I'm pretty sure Rivals upgraded him to 4 star later in the process.

Yeah rivals does seem to do a lot of revisionist history, quite possible, but I though Ingram was a 4 star was my recollection, which is why i looked, but i don't follow scout much.

Seems like the guy who gets no respect would be more respectful to others.
Sometimes Rod posts just to see the numbers change on the post count. VT didn't hesitate on him and we shouldn't. It appears to me that * rating a DB would be tougher than rating a QB or DL for instances since he isn't involved in every play.

I admit; I'm growing weary of seeing us raking in the 3* players while the most recent teams to play for CFP championships pull in 4* and 5* - It matters to a degree. HOWEVER, I'm doing my best to trust in Boom & Co's evaluations and trust that they pay dividends in the next couple of years. /Fingers crossed

Last edited:
I admit; I'm growing weary of seeing us raking in the 3* players while the most recent teams to play for CFP championships pull in 4* and 5* - It matters to a degree. HOWEVER, I'm doing my best to trust in Boom & Co's evaluations and trust that they pay dividends in the next couple of years. /Fingers crossed

This sums up how I feel too

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT