ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Jim Holderman Dead At 85

chucktowncock

Nov 14, 2001
Former University of South Carolina president James B. “Jim” Holderman died Saturday at age 85, leaving behind a legacy of successfully promoting the school to the national stage while being plagued by a trail of legal missteps.

Reactions: jeff2001
"He was jailed in South Florida in 2003 on federal charges of conspiring to launder drug money. He also was accused of participating in a scheme to get visas for undercover agents posing as Russian mobsters.

He and a vice president at a small Texas college were arrested by the FBI in Miami as they were reportedly sifting through a bag full of $400,000 in cash, authorities said."

Wut? How did I miss that news back in the day?

"He was jailed in South Florida in 2003 on federal charges of conspiring to launder drug money. He also was accused of participating in a scheme to get visas for undercover agents posing as Russian mobsters.

He and a vice president at a small Texas college were arrested by the FBI in Miami as they were reportedly sifting through a bag full of $400,000 in cash, authorities said."

The guy was as crooked as the day is long. I ran into him at an event in Los Angeles in 1988 — he was glad-handing me the whole time until I mentioned that I was an Air Force Captain stationed in Los Angeles. His demeanor toward me changed immediately when he realized I probably didn’t have any big bucks to contribute to the university or to his pockets. I’ve often wondered how much cash he pocketed by making the Shah’s wife a faculty member.

He spent his last years in a Lexington retirement home living quite comfortably. My buddy's daughter worked at the home and said Jim still had pull at Carolina and would call Ray for tickets to events (usually for friends). You would have thought we would have cut off all contact.

My girlfriend,at the time,had a younger brother who was gay. Nothing wrong with that. To each his own. However, according to her he was one of Holdermans boy toys. They used to ride around in limousines and go to exotic places at university expense

I had two friends in college who were very handsome and straight. Holderman gave one a full scholarship and hired the other one. The one who worked for Holderman said that the reason he burned all that USC money was that he was flying around the world lobbying to be president of the World Bank.

It's a question of what did he do at USC vs what he did after he parted way with the University I was never quite sure how he qualified to be our school's President. He took "full" advantage of his position while here. The major crimes came later.

The Jim Bakker of USC.
Man those two, back during their days of shame-fame, those two both pretty much distorted the name "Jim" in a bad way!! WADR of course to anyone here that just so happens to share such!!!

Here's Jim (i.e. Bakker then vs now)...

image.jpg

And Jim again (i.e. Holderman from back in the day)...

AR-605153311.jpg

From what I vaguely remember, one of the old jokes was that ol' Jim's major problem came to proper normalcy, in that he simply lacked interest when it came time to hold-her-man!

Yeah, I'm through playin' now. =;-p

Last edited:
He spent his last years in a Lexington retirement home living quite comfortably. My buddy's daughter worked at the home and said Jim still had pull at Carolina and would call Ray for tickets to events (usually for friends). You would have thought we would have cut off all contact.
Well if there has been no grounds thus far to fire Ray, we’ve got a damn good one now.

Ray wasn't around when all the Holderman stuff was going on....but several Trustees were. Holderman was also the one who forced Carlen out and took control of the AD's office. Now, who do you really think made that decision.
When Holderman asked RT for tickets the first time, Ray either knew who he was or if not, inquired about who he was. My post said nothing about RT being around when the Holderman stuff was going on. Knowing what Holderman did, RT should have given him nothing but the finger.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT