ADVERTISEMENT

Sigma Nu Game Ball Run

harrystax

Aug 30, 2018
Fellow Gamecocks,

Tonight at 7:30 pm, the brothers of Sigma Nu will run the game ball for the Carolina vs. Clemson game from Williams Brice Stadium to Greenwood where we will hand the ball off to the Sigma Nus of Clemson who will complete their trip up to Clemson. This is the 41st year of this Palmetto Bowl tradition between the Delta Chapter from South Carolina and the Beta Zeta chapter from Clemson.

This year, the 138 mile round trip run is in memory of Ross Smith. Ross was a 2012 alumnus of Sigma Nu and South Carolina who passed away this year. All proceeds from Game Ball Run go towards the Ross Smith Student Assistance Fund. The Ross Smith Student Assistance fund provides school and hygiene supplies to alternative school students in South Carolina. The Delta Chapter is excited to partner with the Ross Smith Student Assistance Fund to open up a supply closet at a local alternative school in Columbia. We have currently raised $9290 of our $10000 goal. Donations can be made at https://sigmanu.crowdchange.co/.

Forever to Thee,
Harry

Very cool tradition. Didn't realize it happened so far before the game. Guess it has to because of Thanksgiving

Very cool tradition. Didn't realize it happened so far before the game. Guess it has to because of Thanksgiving
I think with the addition of a 12th game it pushes the rivalry to after Thanksgiving. I remember it being ran the week of the game too.

Reactions: coolcock2001
Thanksgiving has "screwed up" a lot of stuff with the game. Almost all the out of state students clear out of town and don't get to experience it. There also seems to be less buzz during the week. I remember listening to that all day radiothon they used to have Friday before the game; a lot of the juice has been taken out of that. Is what it is though

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Great tradition. Wasn’t Delta chapter MIA a few years in late 80’s.
animal-house-posters.jpg.cf.jpg

I guess it not continuous, wasn't Sigma Nu suspended and then recharted in the early 1990's? The Gamecock one?

Thanksgiving has "screwed up" a lot of stuff with the game. Almost all the out of state students clear out of town and don't get to experience it. There also seems to be less buzz during the week. I remember listening to that all day radiothon they used to have Friday before the game; a lot of the juice has been taken out of that. Is what it is though

We are trying to organize an all day radio thon on 96.3 FM where fans can come gather somewhere. If we can do so I will let you know, but it isn't as easy as it once was

Reactions: coolcock2001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT