ADVERTISEMENT

Simone Biles pulls out of the team competition. It's unknown at this point if she will compete in the individual events.

With regard to Durant and Kawhi, that is why I said arguably. I think Durant is there. Further, Durant probably has 4-5 more years of top notch play as his game doesn't require a lot of athleticism. I, also, have Magic ahead of Bird. I didn't mention him because his career was shortened as well due to the HIV Virus. However, he was the engine that won the Laker/Celtic rivalry in the 80's. Also, many don't account for the evolution of the game. Lebron is statistically as good of an outside shooter as Bird and Lebron is not even considered a good shooter for this day and time.
You have to admit Magic had a much better surrounding cast than Bird did, even if the 1986 Celtics are regarded as one of the best teams in NBA history.

No doubt the Lakers were the team of the 80s. To be fair in the 3 finals they played each other they all went at least 6 games. The Lakers won more titles in the 80s, but the Celtics were right there with them otherwise the Lakers would have went on a Chicago Bulls like run in the 80s.

As far as Lebron being as good of an outside shooter as Larry Bird, you know that’s inaccurate. Lebron’s best 3 point percentage year was .406. Larry Bird shot that percentage or higher 6 of his 13 years in the league. Not to mention Lebrons best year at the free throw line would have been Larry Birds worst year there by far.

Reactions: cockofdawn
You have to admit Magic had a much better surrounding cast than Bird did, even if the 1986 Celtics are regarded as one of the best teams in NBA history.

No doubt the Lakers were the team of the 80s. To be fair in the 3 finals they played each other they all went at least 6 games. The Lakers won more titles in the 80s, but the Celtics were right there with them otherwise the Lakers would have went on a Chicago Bulls like run in the 80s.

As far as Lebron being as good of an outside shooter as Larry Bird, you know that’s inaccurate. Lebron’s best 3 point percentage year was .406. Larry Bird shot that percentage or higher 6 of his 13 years in the league. Not to mention Lebrons best year at the free throw line would have been Larry Birds worst year there by far.
I was mainly talking about behind the arc. Bird had years over 40%. However, his career % is 37.3%. You conveniently left out several years where Bird shot the 3 in the 20s while figuring out how to shoot it. LeBron’s career % is 35.1 and that is considered to be the weakest part of his game. Granted, LeBron has never figured out the FT line but his career % of around 73% is passable. The point was the evolution of the game. 37% from behind the arc is considered slightly above average now. However, back then he was that era’s version of Steph Curry. If Steph had a 3 point shooting year of 37%, he would probably quit.

I was mainly talking about behind the arc. Bird had years over 40%. However, his career % is 37.3%. You conveniently left out several years where Bird shot the 3 in the 20s while figuring out how to shoot it. LeBron’s career % is 35.1 and that is considered to be the weakest part of his game. Granted, LeBron has never figured out the FT line but his career % of around 73% is passable. The point was the evolution of the game. 37% from behind the arc is considered slightly above average now. However, back then he was that era’s version of Steph Curry. If Steph had a 3 point shooting year of 37%, he would probably quit.
I am aware that Bird had some years in the 20s % wise. Of course I wouldn’t bring that up. It’s not going to help my argument, but it is certainly a point you would bring up. I know you know the game and respect your difference of opinion.

The game has changed and that certainly makes it tough to compare eras. Magic and Bird come along at the time where the NBA literally implemented the 3 point line. I’m sure it took coaches and players a few years to scheme and adjust, just as it takes with any new rule. Not to mention the data and analytics that drive today’s game was nonexistent back then. Lebron shot more 3s in his time in LA than Larry Bird made in his entire career.

Isn’t that one of Lebron’s best skills? Making teammates better? Ben, I’m disappointed in you liking this comment. Your comments indicate that you know the game instead of relying on inaccurate talking points based on watching a basketball game every now and then. Further, I ran across your comment about LeBron attempting to stack the deck. However, the only difference between now and the 80’s that so many people tend to cling too is that teams did it then and players do it now. People forget that there was no salary cap in the NBA until 1985. So, Bird got to play with 4 other Hall of Famers. Magic got to play with 4 HOFers as well. The only team that had a chance besides those two was Philly. Detroit came along when Philly and Boston got old. Teams used the rules to horde the best players and you didn’t have to pay them much. It’s a shame that people take offense to players being smart and using the rules of free agency to their advantages. Smart athletes are selfish. Smart guys in suits are businessmen.
Yes he loved Cleveland and his teammates lol

Yes he loved Cleveland and his teammates lol
What does this have to do with basketball? When a player is a free agent that means he is free to go where he wants to play. Players are not bound to a team although I admit many are tied to this old way of thinking. LeBron, Wade, and Bosh were going to play together in 2010 no matter what. They just decided that it wouldn’t be in Cleveland.

When they change the rules of the game because of one player, he has to get some mention as the GOAT
I agree with that. However, the Center position from the 60s through the 90s is so stacked. My biggest reason for not mentioning Wilt is how many times his teams lost big games to the Celtics and later in his career to the Knicks. The losses to the Knicks were inexcusable in my opinion. The Celtics were stacked back then. However, so were the Warriors and later the Sixers. The player I compare Wilt to is Shaq. Imagine Shaq with the little lane Wilt played with for a good part of his career.

Last edited:
I agree with that. However, the Center position from the 60s through the 90s is so stacked. My biggest reason for not mentioning Wilt is how many times his teams lost big games to the Celtics and later in his career to the Knicks. The losses to the Knicks were inexcusable in my opinion. The Celtics were stacked back then. However, so were the Warriors and later the Sixers. The player I compare Wilt to is Shaq. Imagine Shaq with the little lane Wilt played with for a good part of his career.
Shaq is one of my favorites. I got to meet him when he was in Miami. Most people have no idea how big he is. I can palm a basketball and my hand disappeared in his. He was genuinely just a big happy kid. Pretty smart guy too. He was always smiling.

Shaq is one of my favorites. I got to meet him when he was in Miami. Most people have no idea how big he is. I can palm a basketball and my hand disappeared in his. He was genuinely just a big happy kid. Pretty smart guy too. He was always smiling.

100%. I met him at Boca Resort when he lived in Miami. Super cool and MASSIVE. He was incredibly patient with kids who came up to hug his ankles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT