ADVERTISEMENT

Simone Biles pulls out of the team competition. It's unknown at this point if she will compete in the individual events.

Eh, she's no Nadia. The simple fact is, you can't claim that you're the greatest and then bail. I hate that she's having issues. She's a great gymnast. But the media always wants to anoint the latest person the greatest because it generates views. GOATs don't have to proclaim that they're the greatest.

In gymnastics maybe. But I typically hear the GOAT conversation as being in all sports. Lebron recently stated football players shouldn’t be considered the “GOAT” because they play one side of the ball.

So the “GOAT” conversation, which is dumb to begin with, has been more about all sports combined. Biles isn’t in the conversation. And even if she is the best gymnast, the tattoo can still be a bit arrogant. She certainly got humbled this week.

She's been considered a GOAT by fans and legends of the sport for years before she finally embraced it. Kerri Strug even stated it earlier yesterday, and numerous replies in this thread indicate y'all value her opinion.

Reactions: rogue cock
that’s bologna. What the heck would people say if Tom Brady said “Ive decided to sit out the Super Bowl so that others can step up so I don’t have to be perfect.” This line of thought has literally never been on anyone’s radar until now. What the heck good is it to be the best if you don’t want people counting on you??
Do NE and TB win those Super Bowls without TB?

Reactions: GreatestCock
Here you go. Still comparing it to football. I am a football and basketball guy myself. Gymnastics is a totally different type of sport that I am not used to. From the looks of it, you are not used to it as well. It is okay to trust the experts in this area.

the argument to which I was responding has nothing to do with a particular sport. The argument was that it’s good she quit so that her teammates learned not to depend on her. This argument has NEVER surfaced in the world of sports until now.

the argument to which I was responding has nothing to do with a particular sport. The argument was that it’s good she quit so that her teammates learned not to depend on her. This argument has NEVER surfaced in the world of sports until now.
Oh it has. When people ask "does *insert team here* win *insert championship here* without *insert player here*. Just as I did above. And it's asked a lot.

Reactions: GreatestCock
I know it’s not the same, but I wonder how the NC State baseball team looks at this. They were forced to quit when 1 game away from the CWS Finals. I’m sure watching someone quit with an opportunity stirs up bitterness.

I also hate it for her alternate that missed out on the team competition. Fortunately her alternate for singles will compete. Any idea if it’s the same person?

Biles should’ve sucked it up, got beat, then withdrawn and sough help. I know it and y’all know it. Whats so wrong with teaching people to fight through something? That used to be admirable.

Champions thrive on pressure. Jordan wanted the ball in the last few seconds. Brady wants the ball on the last drive. That's where champions shine. It's their mental toughness that makes them champions. Her withdrawing was unfortunate but she made her decision based on what was important to her. If she has issues, I hope she solves them for her well being. I think she will always wonder "what might have been". She will make a butt load of money but will it quiet that voice? Whatever you think of her, she is a remarkable athlete. But what could have been?

Reactions: Carolina4
Champions thrive on pressure. Jordan wanted the ball in the last few seconds. Brady wants the ball on the last drive. That's where champions shine. It's their mental toughness that makes them champions. Her withdrawing was unfortunate but she made her decision based on what was important to her. If she has issues, I hope she solves them for her well being. I think she will always wonder "what might have been". She will make a butt load of money but will it quiet that voice? Whatever you think of her, she is a remarkable athlete. But what could have been?
You said this very well.

I'm torn, but isn't performing under pressure part of competing against the worlds best athletes on the worlds biggest stage? Isn't that the moment most Olympians have dreamed of and worked towards their entire life?
Some excel under pressure and unfortunately some crumble.. but they are still elite. Obviously it is easy to criticize from the side line. I don't know what is going on in her head. She may have other underlying issues we don't know about so I do wish her well.

I know it’s not the same, but I wonder how the NC State baseball team looks at this. They were forced to quit when 1 game away from the CWS Finals.

I also hate it for her alternate that missed out on the team competition.

Biles should’ve sucked it up, got beat, then withdrawn and sough help. I know it and y’all know it. What's so wrong with teaching people to fight through something? That used to be admirable.
There is no just sucking it up, since her senior debut in 2013 she's never had this occur in a event. I'm sure if she knew this was going to effect her as much she would had left the event. If she happened to "just suck it up" and do it she could have risked serious injury going for it and/or likely major deductions, if she plays it safe in the current state of mind. Then the USA would be off the medal stand all together. In that situation following that vault, she made the right decision to not hurt the team score and serve as a positive reinforcement on the sideline. If her teammates aren't even mad, why are all these people who don't even watch the sport mad?

There is no just sucking it up, since her senior debut in 2013 she's never had this occur in a event. I'm sure if she knew this was going to effect her as much she would had left the event. If she happened to "just suck it up" and do it she could have risked serious injury going for it and/or likely major deductions, if she plays it safe in the current state of mind. Then the USA would be off the medal stand all together. In that situation following that vault, she made the right decision to not hurt the team score and serve as a positive reinforcement on the sideline. If her teammates aren't even mad, why are all these people who don't even watch the sport mad?
They aren’t allowed to be mad. I’d be willing to bet some are a little upset about it, but still care for her. But they can’t say it. They’d be crucified by social media. Same with all the analysts. You have to have the same opinion on this or you will be torn down. You’ll be considered insensitive. And I’m not mad. I just think it’s crazy we can’t call it what it is because we have to protect her legacy. We have to keep babying this generation. And yes, she should’ve sucked it up. Other athletes do all the time.

They aren’t allowed to be mad. I’d be willing to bet some are a little upset about it, but still care for her. But they can’t say it. They’d be crucified by social media. Same with all the analysts. You have to have the same opinion on this or you will be torn down. You’ll be considered insensitive. And I’m not mad. I just think it’s crazy we can’t call it what it is because we have to protect her legacy. We have to keep babying this generation. And yes, she should’ve sucked it up. Other athletes do all the time.
So in other words you're ok with no medal than a Silver medal then, because it makes other people like yourself who care nothing about the sport feel better. I stand by my statement, she put the US in the best position possible in that moment and she still gives us 5 more opportunities to add to the US medal count. Was it disappointing, absolutely but I don't think it's worth pitchforks y'all are making it out to be.

I bet that will absolutely shatter her life. An anonymous poster on an internet forum using a fictional name remembers the greatest gymnast in US history as a quitter. Maybe she could aspire to live up to your expectations if anybody had ever heard of you.
ditto

Here you go. Still comparing it to football. I am a football and basketball guy myself. Gymnastics is a totally different type of sport that I am not used to. From the looks of it, you are not used to it as well. It is okay to trust the experts in this area.
And its not like former gymnasts haven't been all over the TV explaining it. Shannon Miller pretty much explained the issue perfectly....and if you don't know who Shannon Miller is, you shouldn't be in the conversation.

I’ve never been President of the United States but I was able to tell Trump was terrible at the job.

So I’m not sure your logic is sound on this one.

Then we should appreciate Biles for all the good that she has done for US gymnastics despite this setback, because if this analogy holds true, our next gymnast will be a blithering idiot that can't put one foot in front of another and will likely throw the competition for the Chinese.

And its not like former gymnasts haven't been all over the TV explaining it. Shannon Miller pretty much explained the issue perfectly....and if you don't know who Shannon Miller is, you shouldn't be in the conversation.
Same with Nastia Liukin, only people upset are those who don't know or watch the sport.

So in other words you're ok with no medal than a Silver medal then, because it makes other people like yourself who care nothing about the sport feel better. I stand by my statement, she put the US in the best position possible in that moment and she still gives us 5 more opportunities to add to the US medal count. Was it disappointing, absolutely but I don't think it's worth pitchforks y'all are making it out to be.
Good grief you put a lot of words in my mouth. Never said I was ok with less than a silver medal. She should’ve sucked it up and performed to her the best she could, like so many others have done in sports history. She may have not been at the top of her game, but if she truly is the best gymnast ever, her b-game is likely better than her replacement. That’s what sucking it up is. Not going out there and doing nothing.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I keep thinking what a waste of the past 4 years of training...I think what ever she's going through mentally must be so bad that you can't continue to do the one thing you were training for since you were a small child. One of 2 things will come out of this. Either she looks back in a couple of years and regrets it or it shines a brighter light on mental illness and we as a country can try to help with this illness. Hoping for the second scenario.

Good grief you put a lot of words in my mouth. Never said I was ok with less than a silver medal. She should’ve sucked it up and performed to her the best she could, like so many others have done in sports history. She may have not been at the top of her game, but if she truly is the best gymnast ever, her b-game is likely better than her replacement. That’s what sucking it up is. Not going out there and doing nothing.
Having the yips for the first time in your career at the Olympics is not the time to just suck it up. You still don't understand, her going out there at the moment could have ruined it for everybody. It's one thing to let yourself down but she didn't want to let the team down. Yes typically her B and or C game is better than most, but if she's already losing herself at arguably her best event, why be a further detriment to both the team and herself. Considering how the results turned out it's safe to say to she made the right decision for all parties.

Having the yips for the first time in your career at the Olympics is not the time to just suck it up. You still don't understand, her going out there at the moment could have ruined it for everybody. It's one thing to let yourself down but she didn't want to let the team down. Yes typically her B and or C game is better than most, but if she's already losing herself at arguably her best event, why be a further detriment to both the team and herself. Considering how the results turned out it's safe to say to she made the right decision for all parties.
Because I don’t buy it. It’s not that I don’t understand, it’s that I don’t believe her excuse. If I were going to quit, I’d come up with the best possible explanation too. That’s what I believed she did. All of her comments other than her excuse made it all about her. Why would she all of a sudden be thinking about the team?

We’re not going to agree on this. That’s ok. At this point we’ve given it far more discussion that it deserves.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I think Biles is probably the best that sport has ever had. But to me it looks like she didn’t have her A game this week and quit. And that is disappointing.

There is a difference in competitive pressure and the miscalculation of a gymnastic exercise that can break your neck. If you have not watched the event that set this off, please go back and watch. Watch the look on Biles' face while upside down in the air and let me know if you think it still is a Tom Brady/Michael Jordan situation. You know I am a football and basketball guy. I am big enough to say I don't understand and allow experts in the sport explain it to me.

Some people become a victim of their own success and get distracted, losing that edge that made them great to start with. Gymnastics is mental and physically tough on these young ladies. Not surprised she cracked.

I'm not a huge fan of gymnastics or women's sports in general, but I don't know how anybody couldn't be amazed by Kerri Strug in 1996. I watched that live, and I was amazing at that young ladies' fight and determination. One of my favorite Olympic moments.

I'll have respect for her if she doesnt compete in the rest of her scheduled events. If she does compete she's just a quitter

I'm not a huge fan of gymnastics or women's sports in general, but I don't know how anybody couldn't be amazed by Kerri Strug in 1996. I watched that live, and I was amazing at that young ladies' fight and determination. One of my favorite Olympic moments.

Was that Kerri being brave or Bela simply ordering her to compete, injury be damned? I'm going with the latter, given what we know now about how USA Gymnastics was run for years.

Was that Kerri being brave or Bela simply ordering her to compete, injury be damned? I'm going with the latter, given what we know now about how USA Gymnastics was run for years.
Exactly furthered her injury and prevented her from being able to perform in any other events as well. But people buy into the Dinseyfied version of this story.

Exactly furthered her injury and prevented her from being able to perform in any other events as well. But people buy into the Dinseyfied version of this story.
I wonder if she regrets it? It made her an American Hero. She wasn’t the big name on that team…not even one of the top 2 names with Miller and Moceanu stealing the country’s heart. Yet…when you think of the 1996 Olympics people think of Strugg. I’m sure she profited way more from it…not that that’s necessarily the goal. But don’t kid yourself to think al of these athletes aren’t hopeful to do it.

I wonder if she regrets it? It made her an American Hero. She wasn’t the big name on that team…not even one of the top 2 names with Miller and Moceanu stealing the country’s heart. Yet…when you think of the 1996 Olympics people think of Strugg. I’m sure she profited way more from it…not that that’s necessarily the goal. But don’t kid yourself to think al of these athletes aren’t hopeful to do it.
I know she has spoke on it before, If I remember correctly I think her feelings were mixed, but she definitely profited from a bad situation.

I'll defer to Strug on that, and I've never seen anything that said she was forced. She wouldn't have to hide it now.

Either way, forced or not, she stepped up and got it done. It came at a cost, but that is everything in life.

There is a difference in competitive pressure and the miscalculation of a gymnastic exercise that can break your neck. If you have not watched the event that set this off, please go back and watch. Watch the look on Biles' face while upside down in the air and let me know if you think it still is a Tom Brady/Michael Jordan situation. You know I am a football and basketball guy. I am big enough to say I don't understand and allow experts in the sport explain it to me.
I saw the video. She looked shaken. However, almost every gymnastic event has the ability to cripple the athlete. She has willingly decided to accept that risk and compete. Whatever was in her head surely threw her off. None of us can know what she went through. God bless her. I hope she beats those demons. But a champion overcome adversity, fights through to the end and gives their best shot. Surely she had these feelings before the Olympics began. That would have been the time to step back, not when your team mates needed you. That being said, if i tried to do that vault they would be replacing the floor. I would leave a divot.

There is no mental illness here. Just call it what it is - an athlete was overcome by pressure on a big stage and quit. It happens, but not usually to people who are considered GOATS. Also, don’t glorify this and call it brave, courageous, heroic or admirable because it is none of those things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT