ADVERTISEMENT

Simple question, why are we not running Rattler more?

cockn'fyr

Mar 26, 2006
Seems too me like it would open some things up, I mean wasn’t he a highly rated duel threat prospect in high school? And please don’t say because our oc has no clue!

The only thing i can think of is we’re not confident with his backup and don’t want to be in the situation we were in last year or which I hope to God is not the case, we agreed with him when he came here not to put him in harms way to assure his health going to the next level! I hope not, because we need to win some games and he is no where near nfl ready!

Last edited:
Seems too me like it would open some things up, I mean wasn’t he a highly rated duel threat prospect in high school? And please don’t say because our oc has no clue!

The only thing i can thing is we’re not confident with his backup and don’t want to be in the situation we were in last year or which I hope to God is not the case, we'd agreed with him when he came here not to put him in harms way to assure his health going to the next level! I hope not, because we need to win some games and he is no where near nfl ready!
I will try to not blame oc as you mention. However, he is in charge of the play calling I believe. What we have now is not working, so it makes sense to use a mobile qb I would think.

I get the sense he’s not fond of contact. He constantly heads for the boundary when upfield and a slide would accomplish a much easier and sucessful result. He will force a ball into traffic when a check down or throw away is a much better result. He reminds me of the QB from USC who plays for the Panthers, Sam Darnold. Will throw a int. in a heartbeat. He would be much more effective rolling out. Our OC,(I made no such assurance) doesn’t know if he‘s shot, screwed, snakebit or powder burned,

Last edited:
I get the sense he’s not fond of contact. He constantly heads for the boundary when upfield and a slide would accomplish a much easier and sucessful result. He will force a ball into traffic when a check down or throw away is a much better result. He reminds me of the QB from USC who plays for the Panthers, Sam Darnold. Will throw a int. in a heartbeat. He would be much more effective rolling out. Our OC,(I made no such assurance) doesn’t know if he‘s shot, screwed, snakebit or powder burned,
Interesting observation. In some ways they may be trying to prepare him for the pros by not running. In other words just a drop back passer. However people like Russell Wilson have shown success as a passer and runner.

• Haha
Reactions: the orange dog
Interesting observation. In some ways they may be trying to prepare him for the pros by not running. In other words just a drop back passer. However people like Russell Wilson have shown success as a passer and runner.
When I first read this I though that it just might have been the craziest thing I have ever read on a football board. What coach would sacrifice an entire team for an entire season to prepare a 1 and done QB for the NFL?

Then I remembered….Beamer.

All I know is I see list of top Qb’s and Rattler is no where to be found, even in a top 30 cfb qb’s, wow that’s suprising! You would think he would want to do whatever he could to showcase all of his ability, so far he shouldn’t be banking on just his arm talent!

When I first read this I though that it just might have been the craziest thing I have ever read on a football board. What coach would sacrifice an entire team for an entire season to prepare a 1 and done QB for the NFL?

Believe it or not some people here tried to give Muschamp credit for doing the same thing. I guess sacrificing our team by losing outright to UVA in a bowl game worked out pretty good for Deebo.

Last edited:
Agree. And sometimes all it takes is one hit to change your mindset.

Darnold never played for USC...RMO III

Are ****ing serious? You need to stop commenting about sports. Your brain isn't capable of simple thinking.

• Haha
Reactions: the orange dog
Rattler is not a big guy like Hooker or Richardson. You simply cannot expose your QB to that kind of punishment. It would be foolish. He runs enough to be effective. The only issue I have with him running is that he slides a lot. You lose 3 yards every time you slide, and sliding accomplishes nothing that diving forward wouldn't accomplish. diving to the ground gains an extra yard or 2 whereas sliding loses 3 yards. That's a 4 to 5 yard differential.

Reactions: usc_nc
6 games
5 touchdowns
8 interceptions

Either he's just not a good qb, or he is not a fit for what's trying to be done. I will lea e the OC comments for a different thread too.

6 games
5 touchdowns
8 interceptions

Either he's just not a good qb, or he is not a fit for what's trying to be done. I will lea e the OC comments for a different thread too.
I don't think he is a great QB, but in his defense, several of the INTs were not his fault. The ball bounced off receiver to the defender. At this point I think he is only an average QB.

I don't think he is a great QB, but in his defense, several of the INTs were not his fault. The ball bounced off receiver to the defender. At this point I think he is only an average QB.

Someone elsewhere said 4 of those ints weren't on him. Even being that forgiving:

6 games
5 tds
4 ints

I'm not sure I'd even say that's average, but that's semantics.

Someone elsewhere said 4 of those ints weren't on him. Even being that forgiving:

6 games
5 tds
4 ints

I'm not sure I'd even say that's average, but that's semantics.
Yeah, well whether it's avg, a little below avg, or a little above avg, that's just a matter of degree. I think we can agree he is not a great QB.

Reactions: Lurker123
Yeah, well whether it's avg, a little below avg, or a little above avg, that's just a matter of degree. I think we can agree he is not a great QB.
The cream rises to the top. Cannot hide from stats. :(

He is slow, runs like a 4.8 and really it not that mobile. I wouldn't call him a dual threat. Can't compare him to Connor Shaw, because Connor played in a run option offense in high school and has developed skills to tuck and run. And he was good at it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT