ADVERTISEMENT

Since we've all heard things re Next Coach.... I did hear this...

Dude, you typed OC. Just responding. BTW what classification is he coaching in? I just don't see how in the wide world of sports he's ready to be an OC in the SEC.

That IF Kirby Smart comes.... He would hire Eric Kimrey as OC/QB coach... Legit source.
Yes...Kirby Smart said this the other day at an interview or told a friend who told a friend and they told you....NOT....you guys are just throwing s$#t against the wall to see what will stick.

Reactions: Tigerof66
That IF Kirby Smart comes.... He would hire Eric Kimrey as OC/QB coach... Legit source.

I don't know Kirby but I know one of Bama's other coaches. USC is one of only 3-4 places he would consider. But the only way he is willing to leave Bama is there be no buy out clause in his contract for Bama. He feels he is next in line for the Bama job when Saban hangs it up. I am not so sure he is without some successful head coaching experience but he thinks he is and that is all that matters. That demand wouldn't be met by Auburn and they went with Gus. The coach I know didn't know if Kirby had been contacted by USC yet or not, this was Sunday afternoon.

I don't know Kirby but I know one of Bama's other coaches. USC is one of only 3-4 places he would consider. But the only way he is willing to leave Bama is there be no buy out clause in his contract for Bama. He feels he is next in line for the Bama job when Saban hangs it up. I am not so sure he is without some successful head coaching experience but he thinks he is and that is all that matters. That demand wouldn't be met by Auburn and they went with Gus. The coach I know didn't know if Kirby had been contacted by USC yet or not, this was Sunday afternoon.

The "no buy out cause" for Bama seems unnecessary. If Bama really wanted him, it seems like they would pay it. After all, they're going to have to pay someone's buyout. We know Bama won't be looking for any bargains when they search for Saban's successor. Money won't be an issue.

That's good info that sounds like you got it from a friend, didn't 'overstate' anything just told it like it is. Given that 'requirement' I don't see how Smart could even be in the discussion for our HC job. Funny, if he insists on that clause for 'Bama having played for the 'dawgs I would have thought he'd insist on it for UGA, too.

That's good info that sounds like you got it from a friend, didn't 'overstate' anything just told it like it is. Given that 'requirement' I don't see how Smart could even be in the discussion for our HC job. Funny, if he insists on that clause for 'Bama having played for the 'dawgs I would have thought he'd insist on it for UGA, too.

I am any kind of insider at UGA or Bama other than one of their coaches played for me some years back, but supposely Kirby upset some of the boosters when we hired Grantham as DC. This is the story we were told, that Kirby verbally agreed to come to UGA but wanted to tell Saban face to face, Saban talked him out of taking the job. I don't have any issues with it, was a wise career choice. At one time Kirby's goal was to be the head coach at UGA, maybe he did burn some bridges but I have no problem with him not coming and wouldn't upset me if he was named our head coach. But I have no idea if part or any of that actually happened. I do know him and Bobo were big party and drinking buddies back in their day.

And I agree about what he wants making it tough to hire him, I don't think its the first time anyone has ever ask/demanded a similar clause be in their contract. My only concern with Kirby would be exactly how much does he actually do in his role as DC, or does he just carry out Saban's gameplan. But on the other hand, he knows exactly what it takes to have an ultra successful program because he has been with Saban so long. He is a great recruiter, maybe the best in the southeast, being head coach would take him off the road for the most part and I know that is one of, if not his strongest ability. In the beginning he was more responsible for getting all those recruiting classes to Bama.

Reactions: GCMD2
Who is he?

I see you joined in 2007, so I assume you are young. Google his name with "fade". Then Google with "Hammond Academy coach."

Don't know if he is ready for such a jump or not, but he's dadgum good at coaching.

This is bogus. Not saying he couldn't be brought on staff as a Offensive Quality Control guy or something.....but OC is just downright ridiculous. 100% Would and will never happen given where he currently is, and the jump that it would be.

Dabo is the next Bama coach anyway, Smart has nothing to worry about in regards to that opening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT