ADVERTISEMENT

Sir Tanner has got to go

1. Neutering Frank right off the bat and suspending him for a game... terrible look for the program
2. Allowing Thornwell to be suspended for Clemson game we would have won easily. I'm going off what bigger boosters have told me but there you are... it was Ray's call.
3. The ridiculous ticket fiasco to end our season.
4. Allowing Holbrook to essentially be feeling out other jobs his last year rather than giving him an ultimatum to do his.
5. Either having no idea that Spurrier had ceased recruiting and asking him to come back after the Miami win. The "enemies" speech during camp should have been a massive red flag.
6. Continuing to allow an athletic program that NEVER EVER responds to any requests I've ever sent or seen sent in my educational tenure for pennants, videos from coaches, etc. Over and over and over I see requests made to USC and Clemson for things like this... twice I've seen Dabo send personal videos to schools in which I've worked. Every. Single. Time. USC simply doesn't respond at all. And I'm talking 40 or 50 instances over the last 10 years or so (so it goes beyond merely Tanner).

My essential point has always been that the SEC isn't the kind of league to learn on the job. Feel free to disagree.

Great post! All over #5.

Reactions: Cock-Vader
Yes, he did. He may not have lost his temper and ranted like many on here seem to have wanted, but he handled it through the proper channels and filed a complaint with the conference.
If you call that backing Staley, I've got some nice, ocean-front property in Nebraska to sell you.

That was the weakest and most tepid "defense" I've seen since Wally Burnham.

He would've lost nothing by going on air and really demanding an apology for the completely baseless and bogus comments by Mizzou's AD. (And before you respond, no. Saying he didn't "understand" the comments and that he "thought" an apology should be in order is not a demand.)

Finally, why did Dawn feel the need to file a lawsuit if she felt her AD had properly defended her honor? Seems to me she didn't feel very defended.

This was the easiest layup of Tanner's AD career, and he completely botched it.

If you call that backing Staley, I've got some nice, ocean-front property in Nebraska to sell you.

He would've lost nothing by going on air and really demanding an apology for the completely baseless and bogus comments by Mizzou's AD. (And before you respond, no. Saying he didn't "understand" the comments and that he "thought" an apology should be in order is not a demand.)

Finally, why did Dawn feel the need to file a lawsuit if she felt her AD had properly defended her honor? Seems to me she didn't feel very defended.

He did seem to get quite a bit angrier over the bat warming accusations when he was coaching than he did the Dawn situation.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

He did seem to get quite a bit angrier over the bat warming accusations when he was coaching than he did the Dawn situation.

He let the Mizzou AD trash Dawn and our fans, twice. I was extremely disappointed in Ray Tanner and was worried that Staley might leave us over it. She took matters into her own hands.

He let the Mizzou AD trash Dawn and our fans, twice. I was extremely disappointed in Ray Tanner and was worried that Staley might leave us over it. She took matters into her own hands.
Because of Tanner, the Mizzou AD also got reprimanded by the SEC and was required to pay a fine. The SEC shut him up. Tanner handled it professionally through the channels he was supposed to do.

All I know is I ask fans of winning programs who their AD is and they don't know. Get the clown off the field before games. It just reminds me is incompetent.

And our "professional" AD did absolutely nothing to defend him.....absolutely nothing!
He was a coach then, firing back at another coach. The Mizzou AD was punching below him in the pecking order. That's why as AD, Ray should've defended Dawn a helluva lot better than he did. Just imagine all the goodwill he would've garnered from fans had he done so. Not to mention serving notice to the rest of the conference that we won't be disrespected like that.

Reactions: USC2USC
Looking back on it, that might be the time I really lost faith in Ray as AD.

Add the absurd Javon Charleston situation to the list. If this stuff happens somewhere else, I haven't seen it.

He was a coach then, firing back at another coach. The Mizzou AD was punching below him in the pecking order. That's why as AD, Ray should've defended Dawn a helluva lot better than he did. Just imagine all the goodwill he would've garnered from fans had he done so. Not to mention serving notice to the rest of the conference that we won't be disrespected like that.
And if he had, Tanner would also have been disciplined and fined by the SEC as was the Mizzou AD. Whether you like it or not, he handled it professionally and properly....and I don't doubt for a second that Hyman and McGee would have handled it in the same manner, if they would've gotten involved at all, as both were extremely hands off.

And if he had, Tanner would also have been disciplined and fined by the SEC as was the Mizzou AD. Whether you like it or not, he handled it professionally and properly....and I don't doubt for a second that Hyman and McGee would have handled it in the same manner, if they would've gotten involved at all, as both were extremely hands off.
It would have been the same principle as getting tossed out of a game. You let your guys and gals know you've got their back. Everything else you said is just conjecture.

It would have been the same principle as getting tossed out of a game. You let your guys and gals know you've got their back. Everything else you said is just conjecture.
What's conjecture? That Hyman and McGee were very hands off with their coaches? They were....Hyman much moreso than McGee. Hyman was too involved in the business aspects of the ADs office to be highly concerned about the athletic aspect (i.e. the coaches).

What's conjecture? That Hyman and McGee were very hands off with their coaches? They were....Hyman much moreso than McGee. Hyman was too involved in the business aspects of the ADs office to be highly concerned about the athletic aspect (i.e. the coaches).
How you say with such authority they would have handled the situation is conjecture. Awfully hard to prove that one way or the other. But we know how Ray handled it.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
This noise coming out of College of Charleston regarding Holbrook adds to the case of Ray Tanner's ineptitude as an AD.

"Furthermore, the messages would seem to indicate that Holbrook – under intense pressure in the spring of 2017 during his final days at South Carolina – was working on an exit strategy rather than working to reverse the fortunes of a Gamecock program that was dropping series after series after series during a critical stretch of the year."

Yet Ray Ray sits on his thumb and does nothing. Just as we will do in 2020 when Muschamp is forced out and we go after another program's sloppy seconds HC...

https://www.fitsnews.com/2019/01/03/college-of-charleston-baseball-scandal-gets-serious/
This is the most stupid post I have seen on this board, and that is REALLY saying something.

Reactions: rogue cock
I think it's the fact that the University hired him to begin with that chaps most people's backsides. This is an SEC school... he had never been an AD. It was/is absurd to think he was ready for the job. He essentially said hire me or I'm gone but of course, he was gone as baseball coach either way. Even if he's learned on the job, there is no question in my mind that his inexperience thus far has hurt the athletic program.
How?

1. Neutering Frank right off the bat and suspending him for a game... terrible look for the program
2. Allowing Thornwell to be suspended for Clemson game we would have won easily. I'm going off what bigger boosters have told me but there you are... it was Ray's call.
3. The ridiculous ticket fiasco to end our season.
4. Allowing Holbrook to essentially be feeling out other jobs his last year rather than giving him an ultimatum to do his.
5. Either having no idea that Spurrier had ceased recruiting and asking him to come back after the Miami win. The "enemies" speech during camp should have been a massive red flag.
6. Continuing to allow an athletic program that NEVER EVER responds to any requests I've ever sent or seen sent in my educational tenure for pennants, videos from coaches, etc. Over and over and over I see requests made to USC and Clemson for things like this... twice I've seen Dabo send personal videos to schools in which I've worked. Every. Single. Time. USC simply doesn't respond at all. And I'm talking 40 or 50 instances over the last 10 years or so (so it goes beyond merely Tanner).

My essential point has always been that the SEC isn't the kind of league to learn on the job. Feel free to disagree.
1) Frank's behavior in public is atrocious at times. He deserved to be suspended.
2) Thornwell was suspended because of University drug policies. That was out of Ray's hands.
3) The ticket fiasco you blame on Ray was out of his hands also. The insurance company said all tickets had to be refunded in order for the University to file a claim.
4) Holbrook was done here. Who cares if he was looking for another job? I will concede he should have been fired in 2015, and I have posted that many times.
5)Tanner never asked Spurrier to return. Jeri Spurrier insisted he return, and Spurrier has stated that publicly.
6) This has been a problem at USC for decades. It didn't start with Tanner.

1) Frank's behavior in public is atrocious at times. He deserved to be suspended.
2) Thornwell was suspended because of University drug policies. That was out of Ray's hands.
3) The ticket fiasco you blame on Ray was out of his hands also. The insurance company said all tickets had to be refunded in order for the University to file a claim.
4) Holbrook was done here. Who cares if he was looking for another job? I will concede he should have been fired in 2015, and I have posted that many times.
5)Tanner never asked Spurrier to return. Jeri Spurrier insisted he return, and Spurrier has stated that publicly.
#6 could easily be fixed by now and I figured Ray would be the type who would have fixed that long time ago.

SO the coaches wife was making decisions for the AD?

Well from my prospective you are reading a lot into it. Tanner was mostly recapping what happened. Of course he and the coach have conversations. None of us know what the content of those conversations are.

I think in general he is way too hands off. Its ok, we can disagree.
RT probably has similar conversations with all head coaches of all varsity sports USC sponsors. And he probably had several conversations with Dawn regarding the Mizzou AD's rampage.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT