ADVERTISEMENT

Sit down with Perry Orth

I know some like to take a swipe at Perry because he is a walk on but he also "helped his team to the district title as a senior... set school records for both a season (2011) and career in passing yards, completion percentage and touchdown passes".
Personally, I don't care who our starter is as long as he gives us the best chance to win games.

Now I appreciate a walk-ons spirit and dedication as much as anyone. Also love seeing the underdog do well. But let's face some facts. If Orth is the starter something has gone terribly wrong with our recruiting process during three consecutive eleven win seasons.

Good read on a good kid. I understand the idea of being concerned if a walk-on wins the job, especially in the wake of 2010-14 run. But on flip side, with the way our OL and running game is set up, we should be able to succeed with a QB who is efficient and can move the chains (i.e. hit short/medium routes, to keep defenses honest). Therefore, I don't care if it's Orth, Mitch, Scarnecchia, Nunez, or Nosovitch ... or even a combination of them. We just need to move the chains, wear out defenses, and not go away from whatever is working that particular day. Go Cocks!

Nothing is wrong with the recruiting processes if Orth wins the job. All that means is he developed faster from the HS game to the college game. If predicting how a QB is going to develop from level to level were an exact science then there wouldn't be so many NFL teams that spend way more money on looking at players have so many first round busts at the position. Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell would have been stars. A good friend of mine that played for Spurrier at Duke and made it to the NFL for a short time told me the change in the speed of the game from HS to college is exponential, and then double that going to the NFL. So predicting how a kid adjusts to that speed change is not perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT