ADVERTISEMENT

Sleep

DeeDave

Oct 11, 2021
I use to dismiss older folks who claimed they could not sleep.

At a little over 50 now and I am lucky to get 5 hours a night. Usually fall asleep between 12:30-1am and wake up between 6-6:30am.

This morning I woke at at 5:40am.

This definitely hurts your health and likely shortens anyone’s life.

If you are a fan of old western movies, you can usually find a good one around 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. I watched Once Upon A Time In The West twice last week in the middle of the night. It was worth it.

At a little over 50 now and I am lucky to get 5 hours a night. Usually fall asleep between 12:30-1am and wake up between 6-6:30am.

Get used to it, It only gets worse!

After 4 hours seek immediate medical help

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
I just turned 51 and I’ve been getting anywhere from 3-5 hrs a day for years now.I’m tired all the time.working 12’s and rotating doesn’t help.

A nice indica will fix you right up

If you are a fan of old western movies, you can usually find a good one around 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. I watched Once Upon A Time In The West twice last week in the middle of the night. It was worth it.

About 15 years ago- when I use to dismiss older folks complaining of not sleeping- I was on a business trip and at breakfast, a supervisor who was in his mid 50s told me he had trouble sleeping the night before and he woke up and turned on Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. He had seen it so many times, it put him to sleep. For whatever reason, that got me to laughing and I still think of him telling me that.

I just turned 51 and I’ve been getting anywhere from 3-5 hrs a day for years now.I’m tired all the time.working 12’s and rotating doesn’t help.

This is my situation too- tired a lot of the time.

I use to would work outside in t he evenings for a few hours but I just can't seem to do it these days because I am so tired by 5-6pm. I still can't sleep though.

Welcome to the golden years.

Reset Your Circadian Rhythm:

+ Get at least 5-15 minutes of sunlight or natural light in your eyes in the early morning - preferably right when you wake up. Even on the most cloudy day, the brightness from outdoors exceeds indoor manmade light by a large margin.

+ Almost every American is short on magnesium and potassium and both have big roles in the sleep process. Why? Our top soil has been massively degraded by manufacturing processing and things like Roundup. Magnesium Threonate is a unique form of mag which can enter the blood-brain barrier. Ideally, take 100mg in the morning and then another 300mg an hour before sleep. For potassium, it's best to get from food such as leafy greens, avocados, etc. but you can supplement if needed.

+ At night, wear red glasses (blue blockers) at least two hours before bed if you have on artificial lighting or are staring of blue screens (TVs, phones, computers). Going outside for sunset is also huge for getting that red spectrum which helps offset the blue light you've been consuming all day from technology. This helps build the melatonin necessary in the brain for sleep.

+ Stay away from stress in the evening. This would include violent TV shows, the news, etc.

+ Get good exercise in the day. Your body needs to be tired for your brain to get tired. Infrared Sauna is a great hack if your joints can't deal with any major movement. Breaking a good sweat and red light goes a long way.

+ Give it a few days. Sometimes it takes a little time for your circadian to reset. Same with restoring your Mag and Potassium stores in the body. (and melatonin)

+ Don't screw around with bad sleep. It's the foundation for most all body processes - including glucose control.

Guys, i have a lot of bad habits that lead to my poor sleep, waking up in the middle of the night and having to go to the bathroom starts it, then i start thinking about stuff and that’s
No good! I’ll usually turn the tv on to distract me, metv plays mannix and cannon and that will usually put Me back to sleep. My wife has started me drinking a bedtime tea
Mixed with a stress tea (ashwagandha) mix, it seems to have helped Some!

Reactions: Ward Jr
Guys, i have a lot of bad habits that lead to my poor sleep, waking up in the middle of the night and having to go to the bathroom starts it, then i start thinking about stuff and that’s
No good! I’ll usually turn the tv on to distract me, metv plays mannix and cannon and that will usually put Me back to sleep. My wife has started me drinking a bedtime tea
Mixed with a stress tea (ashwagandha) mix, it seems to have helped Some!

Oh man- you nailed me here- MeTV is my favorite and also watch that late at night.

I use to would work outside in t he evenings for a few hours but I just can't seem to do it these days because I am so tired by 5-6pm. I still can't sleep though.
Here it is 1:25 am and I got a golf rd in the morning.last time I was up till atleast 3am and having to get up at 7.

Might you have sleep apnea? You've reached the right age for it. Have a sleep study done. You might wind up with a CPAP machine but it will change your life and probably lengthen it. I don't sleep but 6.5 - 7 hours a night, but it's GOOD sleep. God bless.

Might you have sleep apnea? You've reached the right age for it. Have a sleep study done. You might wind up with a CPAP machine but it will change your life and probably lengthen it. I don't sleep but 6.5 - 7 hours a night, but it's GOOD sleep. God bless.
I had one done a couple of weeks ago,the home test.I’m waiting on the results to come back.i had to wear a ring for 2 nights.

Reset Your Circadian Rhythm:

+ Get at least 5-15 minutes of sunlight or natural light in your eyes in the early morning - preferably right when you wake up. Even on the most cloudy day, the brightness from outdoors exceeds indoor manmade light by a large margin.

+ Almost every American is short on magnesium and potassium and both have big roles in the sleep process. Why? Our top soil has been massively degraded by manufacturing processing and things like Roundup. Magnesium Threonate is a unique form of mag which can enter the blood-brain barrier. Ideally, take 100mg in the morning and then another 300mg an hour before sleep. For potassium, it's best to get from food such as leafy greens, avocados, etc. but you can supplement if needed.

+ At night, wear red glasses (blue blockers) at least two hours before bed if you have on artificial lighting or are staring of blue screens (TVs, phones, computers). Going outside for sunset is also huge for getting that red spectrum which helps offset the blue light you've been consuming all day from technology. This helps build the melatonin necessary in the brain for sleep.

+ Stay away from stress in the evening. This would include violent TV shows, the news, etc.

+ Get good exercise in the day. Your body needs to be tired for your brain to get tired. Infrared Sauna is a great hack if your joints can't deal with any major movement. Breaking a good sweat and red light goes a long way.

+ Give it a few days. Sometimes it takes a little time for your circadian to reset. Same with restoring your Mag and Potassium stores in the body. (and melatonin)

+ Don't screw around with bad sleep. It's the foundation for most all body processes - including glucose control.
Great post. Hospitals use Mag Cl IV a good bit for insomnia but I've also heard Theronate is a better option with little digestive distress compared to the other forms. Phosphatidylserine can also be useful in a Mag stack for lowering cortisol at night. Sadly, many use medications for sleep and most don't support REM.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Here it is 1:25 am and I got a golf rd in the morning.last time I was up till atleast 3am and having to get up at 7.

I know this feeling. I went to bed about 12:45am and had to get up at 5:15am to hit the road.

Great post. Hospitals use Mag Cl IV a good bit for insomnia but I've also heard Theronate is a better option with little digestive distress compared to the other forms. Phosphatidylserine can also be useful in a Mag stack for lowering cortisol at night. Sadly, many use medications for sleep and most don't support REM.
I've found Magtein by Life Extension be the most effective with zero digestive issues:

Up to 3 caps one hour before bed works for most. On rare occasions (former alcoholics w/ neurotransmitter deficits or large men) we will pair with some inositol.

asleep at 1am last night and up at 5:40am this morning. 2nd night in a row it was almost 1 am for me and up before 5:45am.

I am already dragging again and it's not even 11am- but that is now normal for me. Probably giving myself a sure heart attack in the coming year or so.

CPAP is no good for insomnia. It's only good for sleep apnea.

I found out today that the results is apnea.i waiting on a call to go get fitted next week.the doctor said something about having to wear it atleast 4 hrs a day or something like that so insurance would pay for it.i also told her about my episode I had at work earlier in the week where all of a sudden I got hot,sweating,hungry and thirsty.i told her that the medicine I was talking didn’t seem to be helping and she told me to take 2,this is for my sugar issues.it sucks getting old.

I used to have sleep apnea when I weighed 260. The sleep clinic wanted me to use the CPAP but i couldn't sleep with that thing on my face with the air blowing in my mouth. Got down to 220 and it went away. But that's all while falling asleep. Insomnia is something else.

When I wake up to take a pee at midnight I sometimes take half of a Tylenol PM or a 3 mg Melatonin. The latter can give you some crazy dreams which may be fun.

I used to have sleep apnea when I weighed 260. The sleep clinic wanted me to use the CPAP but i couldn't sleep with that thing on my face with the air blowing in my mouth. Got down to 220 and it went away. But that's all while falling asleep. Insomnia is something else.

Good to hear. Sleep apnea is actually a nutritional deficiency (Vitamin B1 and/or Vit D) which is typically caused by higher blood sugar (insulin resistance). Instead of the eloquent solution of testing/treating nutritional deficiencies which would resolve the apnea and also help many other aspects of your health, "modern medicine" uses it as an opportunity to sell gadgets and pills once again.

Reactions: PaleoCock
The CPAP machines they have now with only the nose cannulas are an entirely different animal. Very user friendly. I've been using one for probably seven or eight years and it has been a life changer.

The CPAP machines they have now with only the nose cannulas are an entirely different animal. Very user friendly. I've been using one for probably seven or eight years and it has been a life changer.
My brother got a CPAP at a yard sale and got hooked on them. He's in to the whole helmet and hose thing. And he never had sleep apnea lol. He just likes the thing. I fall asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow.

Reactions: king ward
Except I have had 2 sleep studies that didn't show any significant apnea. My (second) Dr prescribed a CPAP. I told him I had already tried that(first Dr.) and it didn't help. This quack said, "oh but they are different now. they are improved." I spent $1,500 on the damn thing. I used it every night for 10 months and it did absolutely no good at all. In fact, it may have made my insomnia worse. When I went back to the Dr and told him it hadn't helped he had the nerve to tell me, "oh, well the CPAP is not designed for your problem." I called this SOB everything but a choir boy.

I found out today that the results is apnea.i waiting on a call to go get fitted next week.the doctor said something about having to wear it atleast 4 hrs a day or something like that so insurance would pay for it.i also told her about my episode I had at work earlier in the week where all of a sudden I got hot,sweating,hungry and thirsty.i told her that the medicine I was talking didn’t seem to be helping and she told me to take 2,this is for my sugar issues.it sucks getting old.
Yeah and trust me when I tell you if you don’t wear it a certain amount of hours per night insurance will decline paying. I got so pissed I sent mine back.

I used to coach basketball and many nights in season I would not get home and settled down long enough to get four good hours of sleep before having to be up, especially if we had an out of town game.

Then throw in the fact that we had young kids and if they woke up during the night I would have to disconnect and help since my wife had taken care of the kids most of the day. Decided if having to wear it a certain number of hours per night was a requirement then I’m out.

Reactions: humble servant
My brother got a CPAP at a yard sale and got hooked on them. He's in to the whole helmet and hose thing. And he never had sleep apnea lol. He just likes the thing. I fall asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow.
If he had a more up-to-date one, he would like it even better. It puts you in your own little world as you fall asleep.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
ABout 6-7 years ago I went with my son to a church summer camp. I was a chaperone.

WE all stayed in cabins and our group of about 10 was in one cabin. One of the dads there had a CPAP machine with him and he used it at night. He said he couldn't sleep without it.

Here we were in this little rustic cabin in the woods (we did have electricity and a large attic type fan- no air conditioning) at summer camp and he had to use his machine but he slept better than any of us.

Reactions: king ward
I have sleep apnea, and my issues are a bit different. I don't have issues with sleeping at night - its the QUALITY of sleep I get. I can sleep for 10-12 hrs at a cycle now, and often do.

Back when I could only afford to sleep for 7-8 hrs, I would go to sleep and then wake up at the proper hours, and not wake up for a second in between. But those 7-8 hrs were like 3-4 hrs to my body's system, and I would struggle staying awake at work, especially in the afternoon hours. I would cut down on my lunches, and basically just snack, because any decent-sized meal at lunch would have me super droozy in the afternoon hours at work.

I have deviated septum issues with my nose - and it is native. I snored when I was a child, and due to concerns over this by my parents, I had my tonsils taken out because it was thought that they might have been swollen - possibly inflamed and infected. They were taken and were found to be perfectly fine, and I continued to snore afterwards, and did so all my life.

I had asleep study done at my local hospital that showed I had nearly 300 "events" during the night I was hooked up. This was back when sleep studies were different than they are today - I had little wires taped all over my body while I slept. A single "event" is a moment where I am disturbed out of my deep sleep period, which is the period of sleep where the body and heart truly rest and heal. Out of 7-8 hours of sleep, a person may only have 3-4 hrs of deep sleep, so I was experiencing "events" of disturbance more often than every minute I was in deep sleep.

I got a CPAP, and it was one where they force air in through your nose, keeping your nose channels open and therefore your mouth channel shut. The idea is that as you age, your body's conditioning worsens, and you gain body-fat content. The tissues in your neck and rear mouth area sag and flop down over each other as you sleep, causing your breathing channels to become restricted, which also causes the snoring sounds. The sounds but mostly the air restrictions are what causes the "events" - its like someone constantly shaking your shoulders while you're asleep, not exactly waking you up to full consciousness, but disturbing you JUST ENOUGH to get you out of your deep sleep, then when you fall back into it, they shake you again out of it.

Poor sleep cycles - where you get little deep sleep periods over time - years, decades - places extra strain on your heart, which is a muscle that never fully rests. Symptoms can be heart enlargement due to this poor rest, and heart failures.

My CPAP was not able to work for me, due to my deviated septum. No matter what type of funnel I used over my nose, or what setting of air being forced in that I used, when I fell off to sleep, I couldn't get in enough air through my nose to suit my body, and I would inevitably (and unconsciously) open my mouth to start breathing in though it. But a person CANNOT breath through BOTH their nose AND mouth at the same time, so when this happened, I started choking like I was drowning, and would tear off the mask even before I was quite awake. This ended up disturbing my sleep more than my snoring did.

I would require corrective surgery to fully resolve the issue. But it is also true that maintaining proper weight, getting good nutrition, getting excercize every day - going for walks at your local gym or along your neighborhood streets for at least 30 minutes per day - and keeping your weight down will also help as much as CPAP machines will unless for extreme circumstances.

Back when this site was GamecockCentral, back around 2005 or so, and I was a paying member, there was a weight-loss group that was going on, and I participated in that, as part of my efforts to get into better weight and condition, and to battle my sleep apnea. Perhaps it would be a good idea for posters here to start a thread and get engaged in something like that again, if only there were enough members here who were serious about community-minded projects, and not just the typical tired political monkey feces-throwing competitions....

Last edited:
I have sleep apnea, and my issues are a bit different. I don't have issues with sleeping at night - its the QUALITY of sleep I get. I can sleep for 10-12 hrs at a cycle now, and often do.

Back when I could only afford to sleep for 7-8 hrs, I would go to sleep and then wake up at the proper hours, and not wake up for a second in between. But those 7-8 hrs were like 3-4 hrs to my body's system, and I would struggle staying awake at work, especially in the afternoon hours. I would cut down on my lunches, and basically just snack, because any decent-sized meal at lunch would have me super droozy in the afternoon hours at work.

I have deviated septum issues with my nose - and it is native. I snored when I was a child, and due to concerns over this by my parents, I had my tonsils taken out because it was thought that they might have been swollen - possibly inflamed and infected. They were taken and were found to be perfectly fine, and I continued to snore afterwards, and did so all my life.

I had asleep study done at my local hospital that showed I had nearly 300 "events" during the night I was hooked up. This was back when sleep studies were different than they are today - I had little wires taped all over my body while I slept. A single "event" is a moment where I am disturbed out of my deep sleep period, which is the period of sleep where the body and heart truly rest and heal. Out of 7-8 hours of sleep, a person may only have 3-4 hrs of deep sleep, so I was experiencing "events" of disturbance more often than every minute I was in deep sleep.

I got a CPAP, and it was one where they force air in through your nose, keeping your nose channels open and therefore your mouth channel shut. The idea is that as you age, your body's conditioning worsens, and you gain body-fat content. The tissues in your neck and rear mouth area sag and flop down over each other as you sleep, causing your breathing channels to become restricted, which also causes the snoring sounds. The sounds but mostly the air restrictions are what causes the "events" - its like someone constantly shaking your shoulders while you're asleep, not exactly waking you up to full consciousness, but disturbing you JUST ENOUGH to get you out of your deep sleep, then when you fall back into it, they shake you again out of it.

Poor sleep cycles - where you get little deep sleep periods over time - years, decades - places extra strain on your heart, which is a muscle that never fully rests. Symptoms can be heart enlargement due to this poor rest, and heart failures.

My CPAP was not able to work for me, due to my deviated septum. No matter what type of funnel I used over my nose, or what setting of air being forced in that I used, when I fell off to sleep, I couldn't get in enough air through my nose to suit my body, and I would inevitably (and unconsciously) open my mouth to start breathing in though it. But a person CANNOT breath through BOTH their nose AND mouth at the same time, so when this happened, I started choking like I was drowning, and would tear off the mask even before I was quite awake. This ended up disturbing my sleep more than my snoring did.

I would require corrective surgery to fully resolve the issue. But it is also true that maintaining proper weight, getting good nutrition, getting excercize every day - going for walks at your local gym or along your neighborhood streets for at least 30 minutes per day - and keeping your weight down will also help as much as CPAP machines will unless for extreme circumstances.

Back when this site was GamecockCentral, back around 2005 or so, and I was a paying member, there was a weight-loss group that was going on, and I participated in that, as part of my efforts to get into better weight and condition, and to battle my sleep apnea. Perhaps it would be a good idea for posters here to start a thread and get engaged in something like that again, if only there were enough members here who were serious about community-minded projects, and not just the typical tired political monkey feces-throwing competitions....
Hey! Throwing monkey feces is great cardio especially when you land a good one right in the mouth!!

I haven’t been to a ent yet but have seriously been thinking about it but I think some of my problems come from my uvula,mine seems long to me and causes all kinds of issues.i can’t yawn sometimes without gagging.when I try and open my mouth wide open i gag because of it.it’s so difficult when I go to the dentist.I always tell the doctor when they want to check out my throat that that have maybe a second and that’s it.

I haven’t been to a ent yet but have seriously been thinking about it but I think some of my problems come from my uvula,mine seems long to me and causes all kinds of issues.i can’t yawn sometimes without gagging.when I try and open my mouth wide open i gag because of it.it’s so difficult when I go to the dentist.I always tell the doctor when they want to check out my throat that that have maybe a second and that’s it.

That's typically related to either GERD (acid reflux) or tension in your throat from repeated stress (singing, coughing, etc).

If GERD, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (white vinegar if you don't tolerate ACV) in 8oz of water 20 minutes before meals should help resolve in a few days. If it's a bad case, add a good digestive enzyme and HCL to the equation.

If it's throat tension, you can massage the top and back area of your throat to release it. There's plenty of YT videos online of singers doing this regularly to improve their range and quality.

Simply turn on any Janet Yellen speech approximately one hour prior to bed.

Reactions: humble servant
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT