ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT: It's sad to see landmarks from my time at USC disappear

I graduated in 1968. Capstone had just been built, and the Honeycombs were still new.
The Carolina Coliseum was being built. The Big Bird was just a few years old at the time.
The Reflecting Pool in front of the Library was built the year before. It used to be Davis Field, where Baseball was played in the distant past. The ROTC paraded there often. Longstreet Theater was still used as a Gym for some PE classes and Intramural basketball. There were just 11,000 students at that time, about the size Coastal Carolina is now. The current USC budget is bigger than the entire State budget
in 1968, which was 500 million.
@yankacock It's great to see you posting!

Reactions: vacock#
I was a student from ‘77-‘81, and lived there for 11 more years (15 altogether) interrupted only by 2 years in Greensboro, NC in the mid 80’s. I remember most all of the places mentioned, and got to know many of the workers and owners of those establishments. The businesses may have closed ... the owners may have died ... but the memories live on.

Reactions: surfincock
I graduated with a BSEE in 1986. I was in Columbia today looking at a new project and I went to the SC bookstore to get some goodies. The cashier told me that the school recently purchased the block the bookstore sits on, from their corner all the way to Wendy's for new buildings. He then said he's not sure but thinks the store may close. This is my favorite bookstore because it is next to the old engineering building. I left there to go to Sandy's to get lunch and it was closed. This was news to me since I haven't been there in a couple of years. Then I realized how many places are gone that were such a big part of my college years.

1. Pappy's
2. The Big Bird
3. The laundromat
4. The honeycombs
5. Sandy's
6. Block C
7. Rainbows
8. Parthenon
9. KFC on Rosewood

Kinda sad about it.
I also graduated in 86 and remember all of those places. The Golden Spur in the Russell House was where my instructor bought pitchers as the final exam for the university 101 course. Pretty cool. Pappy's was our favorite hangout. Always there to get the wooden nickels for a free pitcher on Friday's plus great chicken on gamedays.

I graduated with a BSEE in 1986. I was in Columbia today looking at a new project and I went to the SC bookstore to get some goodies. The cashier told me that the school recently purchased the block the bookstore sits on, from their corner all the way to Wendy's for new buildings. He then said he's not sure but thinks the store may close. This is my favorite bookstore because it is next to the old engineering building. I left there to go to Sandy's to get lunch and it was closed. This was news to me since I haven't been there in a couple of years. Then I realized how many places are gone that were such a big part of my college years.

1. Pappy's
2. The Big Bird
3. The laundromat
4. The honeycombs
5. Sandy's
6. Block C
7. Rainbows
8. Parthenon
9. KFC on Rosewood

Kinda sad about it.
Dairy Bar?
Campus Club?

big_bird_1980.jpg

Right in front of that VW Beetle, there was a barber shop, my dad used to take me there back in late 60's...
I went there once but Floyd was too friendly so I didn't go back.

And now for the Old Timers:

The Purple Onion
The Gondola
Cogburns
Vella's
The Kollege Korner
The Varsity (upstairs and downstairs)
The Downtowner
Doug Broome's (Two of 'em)
The Captain's Kitchen
Speranza's (in the gas station, before they moved into a church)
.... and I almost forgot ...... The DeSoto Hotel.

The DSP (Downstairs Plaza) has been gone since the late 1980's. It was usually the cheapest draft beer around the campus. Decent food also from what I remember. The year before my freshman year, USC was voted one of the top 5 party schools in the entire country by Playboy magazine. Maybe even number 1, I cannot remember for sure.

There is not much left on the campus and surroundings from my time there (1978-1982). If the buildings still exist, they are used for something else now. I guess Gambrell is still used for the history department, but besides that, I cannot think of a single classroom building where I had classes that is still operating as such.
1981. IIRC UGA was voted #1 party school by Playboy....with an asterisk. The asterisk was we would have easily been #1 but for the fact they considered us a "professional" party school instead of "amateur", thus we weren't eligible. I remember Holderman was pissed and tried to crack down on on-campus parties.....good effin luck, SOB.

What you guys call nostalgia was still in the future when I was a student at USC. Can't identify a single place mentioned. I guess time will do that to ya.

Can't believe no one has mentioned late nights at the Capital Cafe on Main.
We made plenty of late night/early morning stops there. What I remember more than the food was the waiter. He was probably in his late 50s and was openly pissed off every time I saw him. I don't think it was anything we did...,

We made plenty of late night/early morning stops there. What I remember more than the food was the waiter. He was probably in his late 50s and was openly pissed off every time I saw him. I don't think it was anything we did...,
Paul. He was pissed off at the world. That was part of his "charm".

Paul. He was pissed off at the world. That was part of his "charm".
Yeah, I seem to recall that bad attitude was his schtick.
One closing that brings back memories for me is The Big Bird. I remember playing pool and drinking beer downstairs at least 3 nights a week while I was taking summer classes. That was maybe the worst pool table I ever played on.

Reactions: surfincock

1. Pappy's
2. The Big Bird
3. The laundromat
4. The honeycombs
5. Sandy's
6. Block C
7. Rainbows
8. Parthenon
9. KFC on Rosewood

Kinda sad about it.

Noooooo!! Say it ain't so Lee!

The SC Bookstore and Sandy's are my Top 2 stops when I bring my family back home to visit my folks in Hopkins. We get all our Gamecock apparel from the SC Bookstore. Life won't be the same anymore.

Reactions: rogue cock
Leo’s wings was good and watched a friend projectile vomit thru one of the honeycombs which was pretty amazing , no clean up at all.

I graduated BSEE in '84. Sumwalt was the building I spent the most time in. Hate that Sandy's closed. Sounds like another restaurant may occupy that building soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr CockStrong
It's part of getting old. You'll never get use to it. I was disapoitined when that old Columbia hotel went down even though it was a shot hole and I never stayed there and CCI

I graduated BSEE in '84. Swearingen was the building I spent the most time in. Hate that Sandy's closed. Sounds like another restaurant may occupy that building soon.

You mean Sumwalt, don't you? Swearingen opened in the Fall of '87.

1. Pappy's
2. The Big Bird
3. The laundromat
4. The honeycombs
5. Sandy's
6. Block C
7. Rainbows
8. Parthenon
9. KFC on Rosewood

Kinda sad about it.
I remember almost all of those places as I graduated in '89. There was a place called Suffy's in that same strip I think. But most of those places needed to go. The honeycomb dorms for example were awful. Had to be upgraded, whereas Sandy's was never that good anyway, and I always thought Parthenon was overrated too. I remember everyone taking their dates there and I just didn't get it. Very mediocre. As for the laundromat, there was a bar/pool hall right next to it. So, we used to put in a load and drink and shoot pool. But it was a DUMP (and not entirely safe), so we quickly upgraded to Opening Break when it opened.

I miss Pappy's and the Big Bird though. Both were dives but had a certain charm, and if it's true that Andy's Deli closed, I think I may need a day of mourning. I probably ate the "Andy's Special" about 200 times when I was in school. Always went out to Tony's Pizza in Cayce for all-you-can-eat spaghetti on Tuesday nights as well. Spaghetti and meat sauce on a plastic, sectioned plate. So redneck, but I loved it anyway.

Otherwise, I generally like the newer, nicer stuff that's popping up all over town. Columbia is actually a very underrated restaurant city.

Last edited:
I remember almost all of those places as I graduated in '89. There was a place called Suffy's in that same strip I think. But most of those places needed to go. The honeycomb dorms for example were awful. Had to be upgraded, whereas Sandy's was never that good anyway, and I always thought Parthenon was overrated too. I remember everyone taking their dates there and I just didn't get it. Very mediocre. As for the laundromat, there was a bar/pool hall right next to it. So, we used to put in a load and drink and shoot pool. But it was a DUMP (and not entirely safe), so we quickly upgraded to Opening Break when it opened.

I miss Pappy's and the Big Bird though. Both were dives but had a certain charm, and if it's true that Andy's Deli closed, I think I may need a day of mourning. I probably ate the "Andy's Special" about 200 times when I was in school. Always went out to Tony's Pizza in Cayce for all-you-can-eat spaghetti on Tuesday nights as well. Spaghetti and meat sauce on a plastic, sectioned plate. So redneck, but I loved it anyway.

Otherwise, I generally like the newer, nicer stuff that's popping up all over town. Columbia is actually a very underrated restaurant city.
Andy's is still there.

Reactions: aj&uscgrad
I was there from '67 to '72.... So many changes and so much better than all those years ago. My wife and I sometimes go down and walk the horseshoe and ride around. Today's kids have so much more I just hope it is appreciated.

Noooooo!! Say it ain't so Lee!

The SC Bookstore and Sandy's are my Top 2 stops when I bring my family back home to visit my folks in Hopkins. We get all our Gamecock apparel from the SC Bookstore. Life won't be the same anymore.
Hey Jacie, great to hear from you! I'm sorry to bear bad news but that's what is happening. The SC bookstore is my go to pace also. Maybe they stay open, but he sounded like they were closing.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
I graduated in '81. I remember all these places.

The three generations of Sumwalts have been very productive. I was BSEE in 1972 too (for Bedouin post) and then MSEE at Georgia Tech. I remember polishing the Bent (Tau Beta Pi) in front of the Sumwalt Building. Does anyone know where it was moved?

If I remember correctly, there were not very many EEs to graduate in 1972. A friend and I were exempted from taking the final exam in one of our EE classes during my senior year because we messed up the curve. Great days at USC.

Tony's pizza sold out a few years back but the new owners were too cheap to buy the recipes with the restaraunt. It now taste like crap and I can no longer go to my all time favorite place to eat. I grew up eating their pizza. It's so disappointing now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT