ADVERTISEMENT

Small towns in South Carolina

Not in SC but in my area we have the Billy Bowleggs festival . Apparently he was a pirate who buried his treasure on the beach here and then died before he could come get it . So for a weekend people dress up like pirates and drink until they black out . It’s ludicrous. Funny but ludicrous. My buddy got a BUI one year on a kayak . Can’t make that up .

Last edited:
Reactions: redrogers
Model T's to Olar Festival. I grew up in Olar and Rizer Motor Co. sold Fords. Mr. C. F. Rizer and Henry Ford became friends primarily because Rizer at one time sold more Fords than any dealer in either South Carolina or the southeast (really hard to believe). Henry's revenue stream took a hit in the late teens or 20's and Mr. Rizer loaned him thousands of $$ to get Henry back on his feet. (also a little hard to believe). The Festival recognizes the Model T connection to my home town. Quite a neat little spectacle.

Watermelon Festival Pageland SC
Tell ya this much Pastor, I could tell ya some very, VERY hilariously funny and certainly true stories about the Pageland Watermelon Festival back in the late 80's and early 90's!!! And I do mean such from riding in the front seat (I sat in the middle as one fella drove and the other sat at the door - the back was loaded w/ about 20 others!!!) of an early 1900's Fire Truck at 3:30 in the morning, with ALL OF US VERY MUCH UNDER THE INFLUENCE and a Pageland city cop pulling up beside us asking if all was well!!!

We all laughed our arses to a severe shaking (the cop included) phase 'cause it was blatantly apparent that we were all totally out of it!! Heck, I think we were even driving down the wrong side of if the road when that occurred!!! Even funnier was the fact that ALL of our wives were back at the fire department, and all of them were just as "happy" as we all were!!!

Leaving out A LOT of details herein, but I must say that ever since that night occurred, I always have and always will keep Pageland waayyy up towards the top of my list of fine towns within the state of South Carolina!!!

You could have a Defunct Textile Festival in a lot of towns
Sad but true. Heck, legend has it that Lancaster and Great Falls to this day still severely suffer from Springs Industries deciding to "exit stage left" back in the mid to late 90's towards Mexico. Word now is that they're (i.e., Springs Industries) pretty much functioning out somewhere over in the Oriental area kinda near where the pacific and indian oceans meetup!!

JMHOFWIW of course!

Peace!!

Mighty Moo Festival in Cowpens. Annual event started as a reunion for sailors who were on the USS Cowpens in WW II, evolved into a weekend of events including parade, carnival, concerts, golf tournament, etc. Not sure if there are any living sailors, but the festival continues every June.

I love Poke Sallet (not Polk). But I'm not letting some stranger fix it for me. That's how you get poisoned.
I guess you can call it anything you wish........do yourselves a favor and click on the youtube link at the end.

"Pokeweed can be found throughout the majority of the Continental United States but is far more prevalent in the central and eastern states of the South. It is a poisonous weed, related to nightshade, but if prepared for consumption correctly, it is actually considered a delicacy by many denizens of the rural United States. In fact, in its cooked form, pokeweed is so popular that many states, especially those in the South, hold yearly festivals in the early spring to commemorate it."

The cooked version of this weed is properly referred to as "poke sallet," but like with so many traditions that have survived via word of mouth, the pronunciation can often be found altered, most commonly to "poke salad." You might also see it spelled "polk salad" or "polk sallet." The "polk" spelling was popularized by a 1968 country/pop song by Tony Joe White called "Polk Salad Annie."

Last edited:
Summerville Flowertown Festival
It’s highly thought of, but I just don’t get the allure of standing in lines, getting hot and sweaty, and walking about 1/100th of a mph. But I don’t understand the allure of the circus or parades either. Maybe it’s just me…

Doesn’t Chapin have an Oyster roast? It’s kind of of meh, but I no one has mentioned it yet.

I grew up in Irmo with the Okra Strutt. That was pretty fun in the 80s and early 90s.
Irmo 86’…. The Okra Strut wasn’t that great, but it did good for charities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT