ADVERTISEMENT

So, about the East ...

texcock

Jan 17, 2002
As ridiculous as this sounds, and with the understanding that we could be down to a third-string QB the rest of the way ...

If we can figure out a way to beat Florida, the A&M game could absolutely be for the East title.

As ridiculous as this sounds, and with the understanding that we could be down to a third-string QB the rest of the way ...

If we can figure out a way to beat Florida, the A&M game could absolutely be for the East title.

Just win em all and see what happens.

UGa would have to lose another one, we give Florida their second SEC loss. Basically if we beat A and M and Florida, Florida or Auburn beats UGA, we would win the East...as long as Missouri loses a couple.

Reactions: gamecockblack
The Mizzou loss really stings now more than ever. But I'm not going to worry too much about past games or future games. I'm just going to enjoy this one for a few more days. Great, gutsy win by the Gamecocks!

Mizzou is good. They should be 7-1 going into Athens in a couple of weeks.

I forgot about Bama already but we’re already 2-2 in conference. Need Mizzou to lose ASAP, UGA and UF will have at least 2 when it’s all said and done, one from playing each other obviously, plus UGA still has the Barn. Maybe yesterday was the light switch game, but sadly UcheaT is the most concerning game imo. It’s still tough to win in Knoxville, but I think we take UF this weekend

It's possible but extremely unlikely. We need a big win next week before I even seriously consider this. But Georgia losing a second game with their schedule is doable. But the biggest issue is getting Missouri to lose 3 SEC games. Their schedule is pretty favorable, even with a likely loss to Florida and Georgia.

Here's the scenario where we win the division:

SC:
- Scenario: Win out in conference games. That means beating UF, UT, Vandy, and TA&M.
- Conference record: 6-2
- Division record: 5-1
Mizzou:
- Scenario: Lose to UGA and UF
- Conference record: 6-2 (assuming no other losses)
- Division record: 4-2
UF:
- Scenario: Lose to SC. Beat UGA and Mizzou.
- Division record: 5-1
UGA:
- Scenario: Lose to UF. Beat Mizzou.
- Division record: 4-2​

This is my understanding based on checking out the tiebreak rules from here. Correct me if I'm wrong:

If all those things happen, we start with:
A. Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams:
SC: 2-1 (lost to Mizzou)
Mizzou: 1-2 (lost to UF, UGA)
UF: 2-1 (lost to SC)
UGA: 1-2 (lost to SC, UF)
That leaves SC and UF as the two remaining teams, so then we jump to the two-team tiebreaker rules, which start with the head-to-head. In the scenario above, we'd have beaten UF, giving us the head-to-head nod.
...it's a bit of a reach, but crazier things have happened.

EDIT: I totally forgot about the Mizzou probation. That may change everything..

Is Mizzou eligible for the sec championship, thought they were on NCAA probation with no postseason this yr?
You are correct. They are prohibited from competing in the SEC championship game unless they win the appeal they filed back in mid-July. We all better hope Missouri wins out and gives both UGA and UF another loss and that we win out. That would put us in the championship game.

I didn’t remember about the Mizzou ineligibility. Otherwise, I’m calling it right now that Mizzou wins the east with getting to play two awful teams from the West. They could lose to either Florida or Georgia and still piggyback them the way they did a few years ago over us. On a related note, I’m STILL pissed at Heisman Johnny and Texas A&M for not beating Mizzou on the night we clobbered Clemson. Sigh.

Reactions: lostcock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT