ADVERTISEMENT

So are bowls just going to die off now?

bigsirspur

Nov 12, 2012
A 12-field playoff is going to suck all of the oxygen out of the post season. For the bowls that are not hosting a playoff game, is there any hope that anyone cares anymore? Bowl trips were great opportunities and rewards for the athletes. They loved them. They got a little less special in recent years with players opting out, but still a fun way to spend an evening in late December.

A 12-field playoff is going to suck all of the oxygen out of the post season. For the bowls that are not hosting a playoff game, is there any hope that anyone cares anymore? Bowl trips were great opportunities and rewards for the athletes. They loved them. They got a little less special in recent years with players opting out, but still a fun way to spend an evening in late December.
I agree the system wasnt broken. The best team has won the NC every year. People complain because they think it make them look smart.

Uh, no….take a minute….& let yer 2nd or maybe 3rd gear to kick in.

As long as there are sponsors willing to guarantee $3-$5 million payouts to each team (teams conf), then there’ll be non-championship bowl games
This. Folks bowls aren’t going anywhere. It’s a huge tourism boost to the economies that get them. It’s easy to say “no one cares about the other bowls” but did you care about the Capital One, Outback, Birmingham (input any other bowl we’ve attended) when we went? Of course you did because it’s your team.

Full disclosure: to the best of my knowledge, we had no chance of winning a national championship in any of those years either.

The oxygen has already been sucked out of the post season. I'd suggest it started several years ago when Christian McCaffrey skipped his bowl game with Stanford (Rose Bowl?)...it was a big story then, but is now commonplace for big name players to tap out of what are viewed as meaningless games. The players don't really care, and that apathetic view of the bowl season has worked its way into the general fanbase. Even coaches seem to be mailing it in during the post-season.

If the expanded playoffs has the effect of pulling the plug on bowl season life support, I'm all for it. The patient is dead...no need to prolong things further.

This. Folks bowls aren’t going anywhere. It’s a huge tourism boost to the economies that get them. It’s easy to say “no one cares about the other bowls” but did you care about the Capital One, Outback, Birmingham (input any other bowl we’ve attended) when we went? Of course you did because it’s your team.

Full disclosure: to the best of my knowledge, we had no chance of winning a national championship in any of those years either.
At the time those were considered good bowls. Any bowl game played after New Year's Eve was considered a top-notch bowl game and very respectable. It was something to brag about.

There will still bowl games.
Even with the expanded playoffs that is just 12 teams. I believe I read that some of the big name bowls will be part of the playoff format. So the big ones will still be around in some capacity.
Some of the minor bowls will likely be casualties, but aside from the local chamber of commerce I doubt some will care. The argument has been there are too many as there is now.

At the time those were considered good bowls. Any bowl game played after New Year's Eve was considered a top-notch bowl game and very respectable. It was something to brag about.

Capital One definitely.
Outback maybe.
Birmingham definitely not.

Hope so!!! Seeing as players are opting out and the only teams wanting to play are smaller schools trying to prove they belong. Now they will get a shot and win, lose, or draw they will quit whining. Should be much better in the long run!!

There are 11 games in a 12 team playoff. The first two saturdays will have four games. If I was a non-playoff bowl, I wouldnt want my game on those saturdays. I dont think there are that many non-playoff bowls on in that time frame anyway. Then we're down to 4 teams left after that. Really no different than things are today. I dont see the other bowls suffering any more than they have been.
I do think they should to jump right in to the playoffs after conference championships tho. If they dont have more than a week to prepare for round two, they shouldnt have more than a week to prepare for round one. That would make things interesting

We care about our team, but the rest of the country doesn't. Just like I don't watch a bowl game that features Arizona State or some other similar team.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Teams like South Carolina will exist simply to place a "W" on the ledgers of Alabama and Clemson, on their way to their annual championship matchup. Like those preliminary wrestling matches that preceded the main event.
Wow! That's a pretty bleak assessment of our team's reason for being. I think it's a bit more than that myself. Go Cocks!

Unfortunately, the plethora of laughable bowls featuring mediocre, undeserving teams will continue.
Come on, King. I enjoy the bowl season. It's a chance to watch match ups that rarely, if ever, occur during the regular season. It coincides with the holiday season, which also makes them kind of fun to watch. I hope they continue. I'll usually forego the first few match ups. But once it gets to teams from the P5, I recline in my Lazyboy with some good snacks and watch 'em play.

Wow! That's a pretty bleak assessment of our team's reason for being. I think it's a bit more than that myself. Go Cocks!
That’s if the playoffs are enhanced, added to the NIL attraction of the power teams, player stipends, television enrichment to the power conferences, fading away of mid-tier bowls, and so forth comes around. This is not a knock on South Carolina, but a reality which may occur as the rich get richer.

I got a crazy idea......BEAT THEM !!!! If it goes to 12 team. Bama , clemson and OSU will make it every year until the end of time . If bama somehow goes 9-3 and gets in. People will be complaining a lot more about that than they are now.

Hmmm....Did you read the article? If you don't believe the reasons why it creates an echo chamber, then check the actual numbers over the 7-year span vs. any prior 7-year span.

We care about our team, but the rest of the country doesn't. Just like I don't watch a bowl game that features Arizona State or some other similar team.

Yeah, it really isn’t that hard to understand.

In fact, it takes some willful ignorance to not get it.

No one but the fans of those in the corporate raided bowls, and gamblers who don’t care about the teams, give a flying F about them now.

If anything, there are now 4 de facto bowl games (5-12) that have some added juice.

Absolutely no different in terms of matchups (maybe even better sans any tie-ins) than the NYD game now, except the winner advances instead of pretending to give a rip about the “prestige” of a bowl that started losing prestige once they completely whored out to corporate interests and then completely became nothing more than TV filler and a fan road trip once they went with a playoff.

There were already too many bowl games even before the 4 team playoff started. 6-6 and 5-7 teams don't deserve to goto bowls. Heck, last year us at 2-8 were going bowling before Covid mercifully shut us down. Personally I would like to see a 16 team playoff like the old Division I-A. They did it for years and it worked well so why can't they just use that for the new playoff format?

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

I may be a rare bird but I can enjoy watching teams play football that are not wearing garnet and black and it doesn’t have to be for a national title either.

I don’t like all the opt outs and that needs to be addressed at some point, but I enjoy watching teams play (particularly from different geographic regions) and watching the game. Besides what else are you really watching from mid December to early January. Only so many times I can watch Christmas Story.

Come on, King. I enjoy the bowl season. It's a chance to watch match ups that rarely, if ever, occur during the regular season. It coincides with the holiday season, which also makes them kind of fun to watch. I hope they continue. I'll usually forego the first few match ups. But once it gets to teams from the P5, I recline in my Lazyboy with some good snacks and watch 'em play.
I was more enamored when I was younger. My priorities have changed some.

As long as there are sponsors willing to guarantee $3-$5 million payouts to each team (teams conf), then there’ll be non-championship bowl games
And, fans of the teams invited will want to go, The majority of the players will want to go for a much needed "vacation" as a reward for their work during the season.

There will be a few players elect to opt out. But, not many. These are non-championship bowls. There wasn't much NFL talent on these teams to begin with (That's why they aren't in the playoff).

Let's see...

-Teams/conferences still get paid.
-Fans still want to go
-Players still want to go
-Communities reap economic benefit of tourism

Yep, most non-championship bowls will be fine.

Yeah, a few of the minor bowls will go tits up. But, they were at risk of that happening anyway. The majority of the bowls will be fine. There was incessant and unnecessary whining about bowls prior to Playoff expansion. I fully expect the unnecessary whining to continue.

I was more enamored when I was younger. My priorities have changed some.
Unfortunately, the older you get the more life throws at you. I wish my passion for sports was still there but now it seems like mere existence has taken over as the days grow shorter. And by that I mean I'm experiencing way more deaths around me than I ever have. Everything around me is shifting in its order of importance.

Sadly, recognizing how little SC actually cares about even attempting to win as the days get shorter has really soured me. I'm an old jaded soul now.

There were already too many bowl games even before the 4 team playoff started. 6-6 and 5-7 teams don't deserve to goto bowls. Heck, last year us at 2-8 were going bowling before Covid mercifully shut us down. Personally I would like to see a 16 team playoff like the old Division I-A. They did it for years and it worked well so why can't they just use that for the new playoff format?

How exactly does it change the Sugar Bowl or CarQuest bowl or Pappa John’s Freeze Your Arse Off in freaking Birmingham bowl?

Are those bowls going away?

If anything, having some higher ranked, better matchups played at a home venue opens up nicer bowl destinations for lesser teams.

Again, no one but the fans of those teams and gamblers give a da*n about them now.

This “back in my day” revisionist history and is both sad and funny.

Let’s cut the BS and be totally real, If Carolina didn’t suck out loud and could actually compete for a top 12 spot, not a da*n soul would complain.

If Carolina could , heavens forbid, host a playoff game, well all the bleating village idiots would then be pounding their chests and be all excited.

Don’t worry. There will still be the same chance for UofSC to overachieve and make the Belk Bowl and get punked by UVA again. LOL.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the older you get the more life throws at you. I wish my passion for sports was still there but now it seems like mere existence has taken over as the days grow shorter. And by that I mean I'm experiencing way more deaths around me than I ever have. Everything around me is shifting in its order of importance.

Sadly, recognizing how little SC actually cares about even attempting to win as the days get shorter has really soured me. I'm an old jaded soul now.
Things are pretty good for me. I just like golf more than college athletics.

And, fans of the teams invited will want to go, The majority of the players will want to go for a much needed "vacation" as a reward for their work during the season.

There will be a few players elect to opt out. But, not many. These are non-championship bowls. There wasn't much NFL talent on these teams to begin with (That's why they aren't in the playoff).

Let's see...

-Teams/conferences still get paid.
-Fans still want to go
-Players still want to go
-Communities reap economic benefit of tourism

Yep, most non-championship bowls will be fine.

Yeah, a few of the minor bowls will go tits up. But, they were at risk of that happening anyway. The majority of the bowls will be fine. There was incessant and unnecessary whining about bowls prior to Playoff expansion. I fully expect the unnecessary whining to continue.
From what I've seen on television prior to the pandemic, and based on a few "attendance" experiences of my own, fans don't want to go to the extent they used to. Actual attendance has fallen way off.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I may be a rare bird but I can enjoy watching teams play football that are not wearing garnet and black and it doesn’t have to be for a national title either.

I don’t like all the opt outs and that needs to be addressed at some point, but I enjoy watching teams play (particularly from different geographic regions) and watching the game. Besides what else are you really watching from mid December to early January. Only so many times I can watch Christmas Story.
Not being argumentative, but how can this be addressed? Schools can't force kids to play football for them another year, much less attend and pass classes.

The way I see it, the only one that could address it is the NFL by punishing the opt-outs with lower draft picks and signing bonuses. But so far, they have emphatically proven they don't give two sh!ts about it.

So I don't know what other options there are.

Not being argumentative, but how can this be addressed? Schools can't force kids to play football for them another year, much less attend and pass classes.

The way I see it, the only one that could address it is the NFL by punishing the opt-outs with lower draft picks and signing bonuses. But so far, they have emphatically proven they don't give two sh!ts about it.

Good question and I’m not sure there is an answer that I can give. Until the NCAA and NFL work collaboratively (which I’m not sure they want to do) then it is likely to continue.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
To a great degree, the bowl system was already broken. For programs serious about football, the bowl didn't matter if they weren't in the playoffs. An expanded playoff will generate more revenue, and you will have 12 teams with a purpose in post season. All the other bowls with all of the pretender programs that just want to get to a bowl game, and can cobble 6 wins together, will still be there. Not that anyone will care, but they will still be there as long as corporate sponsors exist and ESPN is willing to pay to fill TV time.

Last edited:
They are already dead. Nobody cares about the non-playoff bowls as it is. If athletes really love them so much why are they dropping off their teams at increasing rates every year to avoid playing in the bowls?

that’s what is funny about this whole thread.. the op is griping about bowls disappearing, but the proposals in place would likely make MORE bowls part of the playoffs every year, meaning more bowls will actually matter and fewer players will opt out every year- that is how you do something about it!

Last edited:
Un popular opinion here. I liked the bowl system for choosing national champs.

When did a bowl system ever choose a champion??

If you are referring to the old, old days, the best teams often did not meet thanks to bowl tie-ins.

Champs selected by coaches and newspaper dolts.

Then, there were computers.

Then a selection committee to pick Top 4 head to head.

So, again, how did bowls ever choose a champion?

There is some serious cognitive dissonance occurring in this thread.

There are too many bowl games. There were 40 licensed bowl games for the 20-21 season. That's 80 teams! If a team falls outside the top 30 or 40 teams, does it deserve a bowl bid? The number of bowls could easily be cut in half.

Reactions: atl-cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT