ADVERTISEMENT

So are bowls just going to die off now?

Yeah, folks keep going on about how the expanded playoff is good for everyone. What about all the teams that don't make the playoffs? If the bowls were rendered near meaningless with 4-team playoff, what's it gonna be like with a 12-team playoff. There will be zero great bowl matchups.

I think a lot of it boils down to the gradual loss of the spirit of amateur competition. College men playing a game of football against another college's men. Now, its "college football needs to have a national champion", and be seen on TV, and rake in conference/big television money, and pay the players a salary, and allow them to get paid for their NIL, and allow them opt out in order to protect their professional chances, and allow them to transfer in and out, and make coaches multimillionaires. I will always love to see the Gamecocks play, but some of the spirit is becoming lost. Its even hard to form an emotional attachment and bond to players these days due to those things. They are just becoming guys wearing the Gamecock football uniform. Sorry for the rant.
What about Basketball, baseball, softball, golf, tennis, track and field, volley ball, swimming and diving, wrestling, soccer, etc, etc, etc.? You think football should be the only college sport that doesn't have a playoff or a national championship? Actually, we have always crowned a national champion in football. It was just bogus and not legitimate until we had a playoff. The system was broken, and has been fixed for the most part. In 2004 when an undefeated team from the toughest and best conference in the country was left out of consideration, that signaled a change had to be made. While maybe not perfect, at least with the current system that situation will not happen again.

Reactions: Gamekem
A 12-field playoff is going to suck all of the oxygen out of the post season. For the bowls that are not hosting a playoff game, is there any hope that anyone cares anymore? Bowl trips were great opportunities and rewards for the athletes. They loved them. They got a little less special in recent years with players opting out, but still a fun way to spend an evening in late December.
Lets be honest, no one now really cares about the bowls outside the traditional "New Years Day Bowls" except for the teams/fans participating in them and the city / businesses who host them. Unfortunately, opt outs are going to be more and more popular, but not because of a playoff system. It is because the upcoming generations are all about "me." Bowls will still be important and take on more of a "NIT" role and be a jumpstart for the next season and the players will still get those rewards. With the expanded playoff, the majority of fans will be interested in 11 games vs 3 games.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Lets be honest, no one now really cares about the bowls outside the traditional "New Years Day Bowls" except for the teams/fans participating in them and the city / businesses who host them. Unfortunately, opt outs are going to be more and more popular, but not because of a playoff system. It is because the upcoming generations are all about "me." Bowls will still be important and take on more of a "NIT" role and be a jumpstart for the next season and the players will still get those rewards. With the expanded playoff, the majority of fans will be interested in 11 games vs 3 games.
You mean you and your friends don't get together and have a big party to watch the Humanitarian Bowl?j/k

I agree with the exception that the number of games will be greater. With conference championship games and a 12 team playoff assuming the first 4 get a bye, the total number of games is 16. IMO, too much for college football.

Yup.

LOL at those whining about bowl games no one really gives an F about now. How they are suddenly so beloved.

The bowls are now the backup QB of college football.

Of course, even that whining is misplaced.

The 5-12 matchups are equivalent to the NYD bowls moved from a neutral site to a campus.

Now, that might suck for some in the bowl coalition that was in the rotation, although they can still rotate the semis and finals. And, they pick up a quarterfinal game so I guess they can still line their pockets.

So, in reality you still have 7 bowl matchups within the playoff system.

The other bowls with lousy attendance and nice to blah to bad locales will still exist for the Carolinas of the world to aspire to.

And, all that “invaluable” extra practice time, assuming your head coach even fully utilizes the time, will still exist.

Never fear all those who love pointless bowl games! They have added a new one- the Jimmy Kimmel bowl in LA! *no, it is not a joke.

This is the ultimate example of a pointless bowl game and the comedic irony of Kimmel taking the naming rights is hard to even quantify in my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT