ADVERTISEMENT

So Bama canned their baseball coach Goff after one season

Imagine that and others want to give more years to coaches who don't produce. (Excuses: Just needs another year to get it right, needs to change assistant coaches, had bad injuries on the team, baseball is hard to hit, players just can't execute, pitchers walk too many, players make bad timely errors and finally just have some bad luck.)

Bama coach is accused of threatening to pull/reduce scholarship money over performance issues. The way he went about it is no longer under NCAA rules.

Imagine that and others want to give more years to coaches who don't produce. (Excuses: Just needs another year to get it right, needs to change assistant coaches, had bad injuries on the team, baseball is hard to hit, players just can't execute, pitchers walk too many, players make bad timely errors and finally just have some bad luck.)
Ha. You must have been listening to Sportstalk tonight. They listed every excuse you mentioned.

There must be more to it than wins and loses after just 1 year. Just saying.

sclawman, he broke NCAA rules. I realize you have no clue about anything, but a simple google search would've helped you this time.

sclawman, he broke NCAA rules. I realize you have no clue about anything, but a simple google search would've helped you this time.
"No clue about anything". Ha. I heard Peterson last night discussing his firing during the SEC tournament and posted. I read later on the ESPN ticker the reason behind it. So I didn't change my OP. Get over yourself. It's a simple post on a sports messageboard-not ESPN. Anyone getting bent out of shape over it like you needs to get a life.

What NCAA rules were broken?
He threatened or tried to pull scholarships of players who weren't very good. At "power 5" schools, it is against NCAA rules to pull a scholarship just because a kid isn't as good as you (or the previous) coach thought he was going to be. In other words, if the kid did nothing wrong, other than the fact he just wasn't very good, you have to renew his scholarship. (Kids don't get punished for mistakes in recruiting by coaches).

Reactions: sclawman77
He threatened or tried to pull scholarships of players who weren't very good. At "power 5" schools, it is against NCAA rules to pull a scholarship just because a kid isn't as good as you (or the previous) coach thought he was going to be. In other words, if the kid did nothing wrong, other than the fact he just wasn't very good, you have to renew his scholarship. (Kids don't get punished for mistakes in recruiting by coaches).
That's a dumb rule.

And I admire the heck out of them for that & I'm quite envious.

Tennessee swept by Holbroke....FIRED!
Alabama loses a series to Holbroke....FIRED!
Yep, another reason why I posted about this. Isn't it comical (and coincidental) that the two SEC teams we won series against end up canning their head coaches.

That's a dumb rule.
It makes sense to me. If you're "supposed" to go to college for an education, and a coach offers you a scholarship to pay for your education because he thinks you are good enough to play there, and you do everything that's asked of you (work hard, go to class, work your tail off in practice etc) but it turns out you're not as good as they thought, then the kid shouldn't be blamed because the coach wasn't a good evaluator of talent or couldn't develop you. Otherwise, coaches could cut tons of kids every year and the whole concept of student-athlete goes out the window.

It makes sense to me. If you're "supposed" to go to college for an education, and a coach offers you a scholarship to pay for your education because he thinks you are good enough to play there, and you do everything that's asked of you (work hard, go to class, work your tail off in practice etc) but it turns out you're not as good as they thought, then the kid shouldn't be blamed because the coach wasn't a good evaluator of talent or couldn't develop you. Otherwise, coaches could cut tons of kids every year and the whole concept of student-athlete goes out the window.

Do kids lose academic scholarships for not performing? Aren't some scholarships contingent on maintaining a minimum GPA?

I agree with your last sentence though.

Reactions: 92Pony

I think a lot coaches would rather chase players away to avoid the NCAA rule...

That's a dumb rule.

. . . and it's okay for the Music School to pull a full scholly on a Voice major who sounds like Roseann, or the Engineering School to pull a scholly an a Civil Engineering major who thinks Stress is something you get from worrying about what fraternity or sorority they're going to pledge . . . oh, what a world.

Our very own coaches have done the same thing. Force guys off the team, telling them they will not play a single minute, will not make road trips all kinds of reasons to force them to transfer

Reactions: Cybercock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT