ADVERTISEMENT

So Clempson and FSU have asked the SEC for membership?

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Was pretty widely reported yesterday that both CU and FSU have reached out to the SEC to express interest. This is basically how the UT/OU story started. Some of the reports mentioned the SEC is focused on streaming #'s for TV contract value, not necessarily traditional live TV ratings. If true, CU/FSU make sense. Fans always think the league is focused on what their game day atmosphere is like, home attendance, do they bring in a new TV market, etc. The whole landscape has changed and the SEC may be trying to bolster its live streaming #s because its clear the ESPN agreement will be re-worked now and many have speculated the Longhorn Network will become a comprehensive streaming network for SEC sports.

It looks like we are headed to a 9-game conference schedule. If this happens, no Clempson in the SEC and us still having to play them every year is not good for SC. With CU in the SEC, it basically leaves us with our current schedule split......9 games vs conference/Clempson and leaving 3 games for us to schedule OOC. As we rebuild our program, this will help get to bowl eligibility each year.

I also think in any scenario of CU in the SEC, they will not come close to running the table in the SEC like they do now in the ACC. They already recruit really well so not sure how recruiting on the SEC brand helps them that much. But them having to consistently play teams like UF, UGA, Bama, Auburn, etc on top of FSU and us will 100% produce more L's on their season than they have seen over the last 5 or so years. They will also get pounded in baseball and several other non-football sports. Take away football and they will have one of the weaker overall sports programs in the conference.

From what I have read this doesn't appear to have legs. Mike Uva and Matt Barber have reported that it started with just one tweet that was picked up and repeated. Apparently, CU was quick to deny it.

Yes they said they deny it but who really knows the truth
Probably better chance that they did reach out to SEC than that they didn’t IMO

Reactions: jerryusc
Was pretty widely reported yesterday that both CU and FSU have reached out to the SEC to express interest. This is basically how the UT/OU story started. Some of the reports mentioned the SEC is focused on streaming #'s for TV contract value, not necessarily traditional live TV ratings. If true, CU/FSU make sense. Fans always think the league is focused on what their game day atmosphere is like, home attendance, do they bring in a new TV market, etc. The whole landscape has changed and the SEC may be trying to bolster its live streaming #s because its clear the ESPN agreement will be re-worked now and many have speculated the Longhorn Network will become a comprehensive streaming network for SEC sports.

It looks like we are headed to a 9-game conference schedule. If this happens, no Clempson in the SEC and us still having to play them every year is not good for SC. With CU in the SEC, it basically leaves us with our current schedule split......9 games vs conference/Clempson and leaving 3 games for us to schedule OOC. As we rebuild our program, this will help get to bowl eligibility each year.

I also think in any scenario of CU in the SEC, they will not come close to running the table in the SEC like they do now in the ACC. They already recruit really well so not sure how recruiting on the SEC brand helps them that much. But them having to consistently play teams like UF, UGA, Bama, Auburn, etc on top of FSU and us will 100% produce more L's on their season than they have seen over the last 5 or so years. They will also get pounded in baseball and several other non-football sports. Take away football and they will have one of the weaker overall sports programs in the conference.

If you read the article; it's mostly talking about how it's most likely NOT a possibility and tears down the credibility given the source.

I'll have to see a lot more substances than what I saw in the stories I read yesterday before I'll believe it. As @vehemon stated just above, most were giving the possibility little credence.

I'll have to see a lot more substances than what I saw in the stories I read yesterday before I'll believe it. As @vehemon stated just above, most were giving the possibility little credence.
Yeah, there's been lots of threads started here about it.
I'll start believing it more when the smoke isn't coming from Clempson/FSU fans or opinion columnist trying to stir up viewership.

This is all about new eyes on TVs and the typical average college football fan watching South Carolina or Florida....30-40% of them already have their eyes on those games anyways. Bringing them into the conference isn't going to increase the viewership that they would make you want to think.

This was the original "source." An Assistant Program Director at ESPN Upstate (whatever that is).....hmmmmm

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT