ADVERTISEMENT

So it begins....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is you DO have a problem w it (forcing people to act a certain way for the national anthem). You think it's the owners right but you DO have a problem w it.
All companies expect their employees to represent them in the way they want to be represented. Millions of companies tell their employees how to dress every day. I agree with you from a government perspective, but I don't understand your employer perspective.

"Believe in" meaning you think owners can and should be able to force acting in a certain way for the national anthem or "believe in" as they can do it by law but you don't like it.

I think you mean the latter which means you agree it's ridiculous to do that in a free country.

no I really don't... in private business I believe an owner can require his employees to do certain things.
the employee can quit if he doesn't like it.
its that black and white to me.

however i would say; I'd like to see the players continue to kneel and see what the owners decide to do

All companies expect their employees to represent them in the way they want to be represented. Millions of companies tell their employees how to dress every day. I agree with you from a government perspective, but I don't understand your employer perspective.
You are correct with respect to employers. They usually will demand certain things for employees that are deemed to be pretty much directly good for business (dress code, behavior code, etc. while on the job). Companies, however, have seldom demanded their employees do or not do certain things because they are political and/or religious. Primarily this is because it is not directly related to their business and because it can indirectly harm business.

Reactions: DC-99
You are correct with respect to employers. They usually will demand certain things for employees that are deemed to be pretty much directly good for business (dress code, behavior code, etc. while on the job). Companies, however, have seldom demanded their employees do or not do certain things because they are political and/or religious. Primarily this is because it is not directly related to their business and because it can indirectly harm business.
The league obviously thinks what the players are doing is harming their business. Otherwise, they wouldn't care. These owners couldn't care less about this issue outside of the revenue impacts.

I'm not sure I understand your last sentence btw.

The league obviously thinks what the players are doing is harming their business. Otherwise, they wouldn't care. These owners couldn't care less about this issue outside of the revenue impacts.
But wait until they have to discipline them for kneeling. Do you really believe an owner is going to cut 2-3 or more of his star players for kneeling? No...he won't. And if he doesn't let them play, there will be several other teams that would love to have them.

That is the danger of making hard, fast rules. You have to follow through or they mean nothing. And if you follow through with your top employees, you may kill your business.

But wait until they have to discipline them for kneeling. Do you really believe an owner is going to cut 2-3 or more of his star players for kneeling? No...he won't. And if he doesn't let them play, there will be several other teams that would love to have them.

That is the danger of making hard, fast rules. You have to follow through or they mean nothing. And if you follow through with your top employees, you may kill your business.
I didn't say it was a good business decision. I said they have the right to demand certain things from their employees.

You're speaking from a team perspective. What you said doesn't apply to a league decision.

Reactions: Jpcooper

I'm not sure I understand your last sentence btw.
I think the league understands the issue grew in size and scope due to the rant by our president when he was in desperate need of a distraction. The league will survive, and they will likely embrace the cause brought forth by the players, in some form or fashion. Meanwhile, Trump will continue his assault on America.

Do you ever ask yourself, where did Trump come up with this strategy to divide the people, cast doubt on the media/press and make patriotism mandatory?

us-journalist-critical-of-putin-kicked-out-of-russia.jpg

I didn't say it was a good business decision. I said they have the right to demand certain things from their employees.

You're speaking from a team perspective. What you said doesn't apply to a league decision.
A league decision would be more difficult...agree. But as a collective enforcing that would have much greater legal scrutiny than an individual business...especially if you refuse to allow someone to ply his trade.

I think the league understands the issue grew in size and scope due to the rant by our president when he was in desperate need of a distraction. The league will survive, and they will likely embrace the cause brought forth by the players in some form or fashion. Meanwhile, Trump will continue his assault on America.

Do you ever ask yourself, where did Trump came up with this strategy to divide the people, cast doubt on the media/press and make patriotism mandatory?

us-journalist-critical-of-putin-kicked-out-of-russia.jpg
The "people" were divided long before Trump came in to office. None of these issues are less than a year old.

A league decision would be more difficult...agree. But as a collective enforcing that would have much greater legal scrutiny than an individual business...especially if you refuse to allow someone to ply his trade.
Minor point, but I believe Jerry Jones said he would bench players, not cut them. Maybe others have said they would cut players. I don't know.

Minor point, but I believe Jerry Jones said he would bench players, not cut them. Maybe others have said they would cut players. I don't know.
He may have...I haven't paid much attention to it lately. But I seriously doubt he would bench players to the point that it would harm his chances of winning...or to the point his players want to transfer.

I think you're giving Trump too much credit.
As an NFL fan, I watched Kaep lose his job, I watched a handful of players continue to kneel at the beginning of this season. I watched a couple media personalities mention it. To me, and I would assume the majority of the country, the kneeling thing was a dead/dying issue... I then watched a desperate individual, seeking yet another "hey look over there" moment, rile up his base and attack a group of football players exercising their right to civil protest. I watched an overwhelming amount of people cast common sense aside, again, and bolt to the front of the outrage line. Many without a clue as to why. So, yeah, forgive me if I call out the race-baiter-in chief. If nothing else, he can hang his hat on assaulting the evil NFL. Or perhaps he can use his 'power of pen' and write some nice rules on how to be patriotic in Trumps New Great America. Golly gee, that would be swell.

The flag represents the IDEALS that the United States America should stand for. We are still working out the details of those ideals and will be working on them until this country goes under(for whatever reasons and for however long that takes).
Our forefathers started this government in turmoil (because of their definitions of what is right and what it wrong). It leaves a sour taste in my mouth to think that "liberty and justice for all" was written in our founding document while slaves were widely used. I'm also not blind to the fact that it is difficult for some minorities to not have access to a level playing field. I do realize times have changed although not to the satisfaction of everyone involved.
The political elitists ( Democrats, Republicans, other party affiliations, celebs,defense blocs, special interest groups, sporting outlets, and the various media who make bucks off of our ignorance and intelligence) are to blame for many of these issues because it makes money when turmoil is involved. These elitist line their pockets with our money. All the while driving wedges between us that may never be removed. We all must wake up and smell the coffee.
The U.S. is like the Titanic when it sank. These elitist who have created this boondoggle of a political climate will have their butts on the lifeboats and carried to safety. Meanwhile, you and I ordinary folk will go unnoticed as we go down with the ship.
I would also like to point out that the flag people are kneeling before because it supposedly doesn't represent them are incorrect. While the flag isn't perfect, it still represents everyone here. Don't let the ignorant elitist talk you into believing that they know what's best for you. Keep in mind that it was the red,white, and blue flag that flew over the Union Army while a lot of non- minority folks fought and died for the freedom of the slaves here in the USA. Please remember that there were those non-minority folks in the south who didn't agree with slave ownership either. Read some of the articles
(many from the actual newspapers of the time) about how those who helped and tried to help were massacred and lynched while trying to reach out and help the slaves.
I'm not trying to disparage either side of this issue. I just feel that there are other ways to come to an agreeable decision without ruffling the feathers of the American Eagle.

As an NFL fan, I watched Kaep lose his job, I watched a handful of players continue to kneel at the beginning of this season. I watched a couple media personalities mention it. To me, and I would assume the majority of the country, the kneeling thing was a dead/dying issue... I then watched a desperate individual, seeking yet another "hey look over there" moment, rile up his base and attack a group of football players exercising their right to civil protest. I watched an overwhelming amount of people cast common sense aside, again, and bolt to the front of the outrage line. Many without a clue as to why. So, yeah, forgive me if I call out the race-baiter-in chief. If nothing else, he can hang his hat on assaulting the NFL. Or perhaps he can use his 'power of pen' and write some nice rules on how to be patriotic in Trumps New Great America. Golly gee, that would be swell.
You're paranoid. Trump took it personally and acted on it like he does with a lot of things.

He's not the first race-baiter.

As an NFL fan, I watched Kaep lose his job, I watched a handful of players continue to kneel at the beginning of this season. I watched a couple media personalities mention it. To me, and I would assume the majority of the country, the kneeling thing was a dead/dying issue... I then watched a desperate individual, seeking yet another "hey look over there" moment, rile up his base and attack a group of football players exercising their right to civil protest. I watched an overwhelming amount of people cast common sense aside, again, and bolt to the front of the outrage line. Many without a clue as to why. So, yeah, forgive me if I call out the race-baiter-in chief. If nothing else, he can hang his hat on assaulting the evil NFL. Or perhaps he can use his 'power of pen' and write some nice rules on how to be patriotic in Trumps New Great America. Golly gee, that would be swell.

POTW

The real threat to the NFL are injuries. Major injuries every week to favorite players. Ratings drop when the 3rd string qb and 2nd string rb are starting. Same on defense.

Some of the same people get so bent out of shape when someone kneels for the flag protesting police brutality, but have no problem wearing the flag as clothing, which should never be done.

Do any of you know even one person that previously watched the NFL who doesn't any more? Has there been any real Trump effect?

they like to shout "i'll never watch again"..like its some badge of honor to pronounce this on social media

Some of the same people get so bent out of shape when someone kneels for the flag protesting police brutality, but have no problem wearing the flag as clothing, which should never be done.
I don't care about either, but I can see the view point that one is an intentional act, while the other is done out of ignorance. Most people, myself included, don't keep up with arbitrary flag rules.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
they like to shout "i'll never watch again"..like its some badge of honor to pronounce this on social media
Not sure if that's had much of an effect on the league though. I can't see much of an effect from Trumps involvement other than maybe something like this.

And this isn't much different than the people who threatened to move to Europe if Trump won. There are idiots on both sides.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
Not sure if that's had much of an effect on the league though. I can't see much of an effect from Trumps involvement other than maybe something like this.

And this isn't much different than the people who threatened to move to Europe if Trump won. There are idiots on both sides.

league viewership on tv down 10-15 % this year, which is leading to the owners meeting next week with the commish

league viewership on tv down 10-15 % this year, which is leading to the owners meeting next week with the commish
How much of that is due to the kneeling and how much of that is due to the fact that the announcers talk about it throughout the game, making viewership less than fun? There are plenty of other channels to follow politics. Maybe its just not as fun as it used to be.

Quoting Reddit "forced patriotism is not patriotism. It's nationalism." And there are some obvious examples of what blind nationalism can do to a nation.

I think, before everyone gets upset, it would be best to try and place yourself in the other sides shoes. See what they see. And then, if you still feel the same, you can say you tried.

I have a military background, and I don't buy the angle it disrespects the troops. That's changing the narrative. This was never about the troops.
That’s just it, they change the narrative every day. 99.9% of the people in prison belong in prison. Blacks have a lot of altercations with police because they think they are badass and not going to take no crap from the popo. Everyone in America, that tries can better themselves. Blacks don’t have a monopoly of living in government housing and many get out.

That’s just it, they change the narrative every day. 99.9% of the people in prison belong in prison. Blacks have a lot of altercations with police because they think they are badass and not going to take no crap from the popo. Everyone in America, that tries can better themselves. Blacks don’t have a monopoly of living in government housing and many get out.
Those mouthy blacks need to shut up, right!

Reactions: paladin181
How much of that is due to the kneeling and how much of that is due to the fact that the announcers talk about it throughout the game, making viewership less than fun? There are plenty of other channels to follow politics. Maybe its just not as fun as it used to be.
Well, now that the league is saying "okay we hear you. Let's sit down and talk about it and see what we can do about it," I think you may see some progress here which may lead to less ad nauseam discussion about the kneeling con-trah-vah-see itself.

Reactions: cocky4 and DC-99
Sort of like many people I know support Trump because it's cool to hate Hilary, hate Obama, hate Democrats. But they really don't know what (or who) they are supporting.

Fascism is coming to America, and it's wrapped in the American flag. When individual freedom is overridden by "undying love and demonstrations of support for country" we have truly lost our way. The flag itself is not important. The ideas are. Freedom. EQUALITY. Equal treatment. If you don't think your country is living up to it what do you do?

Some people have forgotten the ideas that this country was founded on. And that's the real problem here. Thank a veteran AND kneel if you want to. These are not separate ideas.

With respect to school and the 1st Amendment: Tinker v. Des Moines. Look it up.

I see you read the Nation. If you want to point to fascism we can name all the current ruling of what speech is protected and what speech is restricted and sir.....I dare say it is you on the wrong side of history.

Let me ask you....are the players the only ones allowed to speak in your liberal mind? What person has stepped outside of their rights thus far? How does it feel to believe you will have to actually pay a price for saying what you believe in public.....cause you damn well know this has been a tactic used by the left for decades.

IMO we have been listening to the same voices on this subject for a long time and if you are not happy with the outcome.....maybe....just maybe it is time for the people that have been doing all the talking to listen to other ideas. Certainly listening to people that glorify criminality and try to saint dip those that buy into death are the people we need to listen to.

These are not things told to you out of hate...these are things told to you out of brotherly love. You have followed the wrong path....that path only offers more death. Nothing anyone can do until the way law is viewed and approached is changed. If you want good clean schools...less crime...turn away from embracing criminal culture. Somewhere deep down you know that is truth.

Last edited:
That's not the way protest works, they are protesting police brutality against people of color and hope the protest can send a message to the whole country and hence changes will be made and you "football watching" folk can still watch NFL football anytime its on.
...and there's been some great games recently
That’s one protester go ask another it is something else. Then you get some that say I’m just protesting with my brotha

Well, now that the league is saying "okay we hear you. Let's sit down and talk about it and see what we can do about it," I think you may see some progress here which may lead to less ad nauseam discussion about the kneeling con-trah-vah-see itself.

You're an optimistic one. I like that.

You're an optimistic one. I like that.
The point of the protests was to get people to listen and then talk about the issue. The NFL has said it will listen and talk about the issue. I guess it's more that I recognize those facts than that I'm optimistic. That said, I'm sure there will be plenty of stuff to annoy us forever.

I

I don't live in the city of Lancaster or its school area. If I did, I would move to raise kids. I respect your respect. Although my company is based in Mecklenburg and I'm not sure I would include it in your assessment. JMO.
NODA, Downtown Charlotte, Midwood Plaza, Myers Park, Dilworth and Cotswold areas are all modern and relatively safe. West Charlotte?? Don't go there!! =;-p Point being that, based on where I was born and raised, Charlotte has always been pretty much home to me, even though I'm a SC native!!

A lot more "happening" up here. I guess it's just something you either get used to, or just simply find a lot easier or naturally/comfortably fitting or blending in with.

From another perspective, when my family moved from LA to Columbia back in the late 90's, my oldest son had already completed the first grade within the LA school district. The thing is, he (my son) was simply not ready for the 2nd grade in Richland I school district. However, his 2nd grade teacher gave us the option of either starting him over in the 1st grade, or to let her have him, in the 2nd, and let her get him caught up. We chose the latter and he excelled!! Both my sons excelled at Richland I. Though they've both long since graduated (well, not that long ago!! My youngest did so in 2014), they both are now based at Pearl Harbor (Army)!! Point being that I am very much appreciative that my two boys grew up where they did as opposed to where they were both born.

I cannot imagine just how different things could have been for them had they remained and been raised there. I consider it a blessing to have been able to get them where we did and when we did!!

Peace out and best wishes,

A_N

Reactions: TheReelEss
The point of the protests was to get people to listen and then talk about the issue. The NFL has said it will listen and talk about the issue. I guess it's more that I recognize those facts than that I'm optimistic. That said, I'm sure there will be plenty of stuff to annoy us forever.
Yes, that's what they've said. And they league will help the players set up some non profits and participate in a few other things. Hope it makes things better. Most non profits do.

Reactions: Sulayman
Yes, a bunch of armchair patriots and angry old codgers will be on the wrong side of history again, being scared of the future and thinking their country only belongs to some of us and that the other people are destroying it. Welcome to the history of America.

I hope our entire team kneels and makes everybody put there money where there mouth is, even though we won't see the team kneeling in the locker room.

This is the typical Semetic lies/nonsense being spewed by the controlled mass media and eaten up by non-white parasitic cockroaches. L'chaim goyim.

This is the typical Semetic lies/nonsense being spewed by the controlled mass media and eaten up by non-white parasitic cockroaches. L'chaim goyim.

If you do not want to be part of the solution then you are of no use. We are all victims of the mass media. It has lied and certainly has shown itself to be at best hypocritical....and worst an enemy to truth.

All of us are living in glass houses and chunking rocks if we want to castigate people that fell for the lies.

If you do not want to be part of the solution then you are of no use. We are all victims of the mass media. It has lied and certainly has shown itself to be at best hypocritical....and worst an enemy to truth.

All of us are living in glass houses and chunking rocks if we want to castigate people that fell for the lies.
Not speaking to this issue, the kneeling one specifically, but its hard to find solutions to many problems when the truth is, some people just don't want the same outcomes. I think, given the size of this country, it will always be that way.

When you have a habitual liar in the White House what do you expect.

Reactions: DC-99
Not speaking to this issue, the kneeling one specifically, but its hard to find solutions to many problems when the truth is, some people just don't want the same outcomes. I think, given the size of this country, it will always be that way.
Yes, I get that and will always get that. The fundamental issue of police brutality or any type of racism is cultural and very subjective. It is really hard to legislate or dictate different outcomes. It's the mindset that needs to change. That task is much harder than simply changing some rules.

Reactions: cocky4
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT