ADVERTISEMENT

So UGA has 31 Seniors. But only 18 commitments.

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
You think they gonna sign 31? Not sure how that 25 limit works but will be interesting to see how it works out.

You think they gonna sign 31? Not sure how that 25 limit works but will be interesting to see how it works out.

I'm not sure why the media kept throwing that out there without qualifying it. Same applies to fans as obviously that's an obscene number that logic would say doesn't add up. Yes, UGA has 31 seniors...but 17 if them are walkons. That leaves 14 seniors on scholly; 9 of which are current starters, which is a pretty typical year for us.

We actually are somewhat limited in schollys this year and can only sign 24 max, especially with news today that Trent Thompson is returning. There are five 4 star recruits I'm aware of that we've told we simply don't have room for them, and that number will grow if a few high 4 and 5 star guys we are chasing jump on board.

Last edited:
They're still limited to signing 25 per class. 25 per year and 85 total are the maximums.

but there are ways around the 25 per year cap

The SEC has a limit of 28 signees between December and May, which limits how many players a team can enroll early to avoid breaching the 25-man cap. The Big Ten’s rule is similar and also features a cap of 28 per year.

I'm not sure why the media kept throwing that out there without qualifying it. Same applies to fans as obviously that's an obscene number that logic would say doesn't add up. Yes, UGA has 31 seniors...but 17 if them are walkons. That leaves 14 seniors on scholly; 9 of which are current starters, which is a pretty typical year for us.

We actually are somewhat limited in schollys this year and can only sign 24 max, especially with news today that Trent Thompson is returning. There are five 4 star recruits I'm aware of that we've told we simply don't have room for them, and that number will grow if a few high 4 and 5 star guys we are chasing jump on board.
You have 7 3* recruits committed...why would you tell 4 stars to go away?

Reactions: 67gamecock
Uhmm? That should be pretty obvious? If you need lineman and they are only 3* you don't kick them off because you have an 8th 4* DB that wants to commit.
The poster didn’t mention anything about specific positions. Two of the 3* are safeties, don’t think they play on the line.

Uhmm? That should be pretty obvious? If you need lineman and they are only 3* you don't kick them off because you have an 8th 4* DB that wants to commit.

Correct; depends on position of need. Also, most of our 3 stars are high 3/borderline 4 and/or 4 stars elsewhere. Then you have guys like Wildgoose whom our staff feels the recruiting services are insane for not having as 4 star for whatever reason.

By the way, Triton above is using hypotheticals. I know of two 4 star OL who would commit tomorrow, but because of who we have, along with 5 star Salyer and possibly Mays, and borderline 5 star Hill, we just don't have room. And if 5 star Cox (recent OSU decommit) and Reese commit, that pushes a few more 4 stars away.

Last edited:
Correct; depends on position of need. Also, most of our 3 stars are high 3/borderline 4 and/or 4 stars elsewhere. Then you have guys like Wildgoose whom our staff feels the recruiting services are insane for not having as 4 star for whatever reason.

By the way, Triton above is using hypotheticals. I know of two 4 star OL who would commit tomorrow, but because of who we have, along with 5 star Salyer and possibly Mays, and borderline 5 star Hill, we just don't have room. And if 5 star Cox (recent OSU decommit) and Reese commit, that pushes a few more 4 stars away.
pat.gif

Crazy stuff.

uh duh..Maybe Kirby Smart and staff do their own evaluations...Not everyone is naive enough to think recruiting rankings by bubble wrap for brains gurus carry much weight...
Agreed. Originally when this was posted didnt believe the poster that they would turn away recruits of the same position if they were better but he explained his insider knowledge, which I’ve then responded to him. Thank you for your concern of my intelligence though.

Surely you don't believe UGA has 31 sr scholarshipped players, nearly have of that number are walkons, we only have 17 sr on scholarship.including the 3rd string qb, long snapper, punter and 2 backup OL, so if you count the snapper and punter 14 actually see the field, Michel is a backup, the TE is a backup, one of the LB and DB are backups. So 7 sr starters and 4 that play alot, Did you really think that everyone of those 31 that walked on sr day were scholarship guys and contributed? Tell me you arent that naive.

Reactions: reecedg1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT