ADVERTISEMENT

So Under Armor dont payout?

Reactions: Lakecock1
Who knows what the outcome of these investigations will be? It seems clear, however, that at least in basketball the shoe companies are right at the middle of the cheating. I'd be curious to see if they are also involved in football recruiting.
As for basketball: I'm sure that getting rid of shoe companies won't get rid of the cheating. Bill Self, and countless other coaches, will clearly try to find a new way.
I think the NCAA needs to step in and do away with contracts and connections to shoe companies. No more sponsorships, no more apparel deals, no more huge payouts to schools or coaches. Next, drop down a level and do the same. A player is involved with an AAU program that is sponsored by an apparel company? Not eligible. The AAU team played in a tournament sponsored by an apparel company? Not eligible. A high school team is sponsored by an apparel company? Not eligible.
Yeah, its heavy handed. Yes, it seems to fly in the face of a free market and capitalism. But, collegiate sports are their own world. The NCAA has rules against all sorts of things that are allowed in general society.

There will be no outcome that impacts these programs. No way they’ll go after Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Kentucky, etc...

I just remember reading the article criticizing our relationship with Under Armour, mainly because Spurrier got all that money from the deal while here, and how it said no program suffers more by being in a relationship with UA than SC Basketball. I believe it. Look at the top guys we had real shots with 4-5 years ago that we missed out on. Perhaps being a Nike school might have made the difference to land some in-state guys.

I wish we did Nike.....just because I prefer the brand personally

Apparel is more affordable too. I love UA’s brand. I believe their clothing has a classy look to it and most of it is very comfortable. But Nike is the leading brand and that’s huge. I remember Connor Shaw ripping UA cleats at one point. That’s never a good thing.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
Notice on the Steph Curry commercial which caused so much technical consternation during the baseball game yesterday, it never mentioned that the basketball shoes they were advertising were made by UA. I did notice a small UA logo on his sock for a split second.

It does hurt in basketball not to be a Nike school. In football, I think it matters less.

I wish we did Nike.....just because I prefer the brand personally
Nike did not want us, just like they did not want Auburn. They had taters and bama were not going to spend any more money in a small state. UA was a godsend for us. Also remember they stroked us a 10 million dollar bonus check when both teams made the final four.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT