ADVERTISEMENT

So? What do you think of Shane Beamer?

As good as expected. I just liked the fact that we looked prepared to play. Not a lot of stupid penalties. This is the type of game we have won in the past, but looked terrible doing it.
I totally agree. They looked better prepared than they usually are for first game.

Plus, it was a beautiful night for football!

I was pleasantly surprised. I must see facts before making a decision - and I understand it was a bad Eastern Illinois team.....BUT - the players and coaches were prepared for the game. That's a big deal. 11 guys knew where they were supposed to be, and EXECUTED. Huge steps in the right direction. Again...I know who the opponent was...but to me that was one more impressive thing: they didn't take the game for granted and sleep walk through it. The players cared, and their play showed it. I was impressed with Beamer's crew this week. I hope it trends similar ways this year even when we are outmatched in talent or struggle in games.

I was pleasantly surprised. I must see facts before making a decision - and I understand it was a bad Eastern Illinois team.....BUT - the players and coaches were prepared for the game. That's a big deal. 11 guys knew where they were supposed to be, and EXECUTED. Huge steps in the right direction. Again...I know who the opponent was...but to me that was one more impressive thing: they didn't take the game for granted and sleep walk through it. The players cared, and their play showed it. I was impressed with Beamer's crew this week. I hope it trends similar ways this year even when we are outmatched in talent or struggle in games.
Like Spurrier used to say, "Keep on playing hard and see what happens."

I get to see my first game this weekend against East Carolina as long as ESPN doesn't decide to stream the game again .

Pros:

1. We pitched a shutout. Always a good thing.

2. The defense played fast and physical. For the first time since Muschamp stained our sideline, they looked like a cohesive unit.

3. Beamer Ball. Two blocked punts. Love it.

4. White. The man played like his hair was on fire and his ass was catching.

Cons:

1. The OL. It was hard watching them give up so much pressure up the middle. Considering the were supposed to be a strength -- again -- that was very disappointing.

2. Penalties. Got to clean that up. Simple as that.

3. (Hopefully just a minor one.) Lloyd. I was hoping for so much more against an inferior opponent. He had a couple of flashes, but overall just underwhelmed IMO. I don't know his final numbers, just that it felt like it should've been better. Of course, this could be tied to No. 1.
260 rushing and would have gotten over 300 if not for a penalty.

Cons:

3. (Hopefully just a minor one.) Lloyd. I was hoping for so much more against an inferior opponent. He had a couple of flashes, but overall just underwhelmed IMO. I don't know his final numbers, just that it felt like it should've been better. Of course, this could be tied to No. 1.

I thought Lloyd would have a better game too, but coming off the ACL tear might have effected him mentally in the game and it may have to take playing a few more games until he can trust his knee, mentally... Good news White looked good running the ball and he is a man on a mission...

Beamer ball this offense is not great. And we will need to continue the solid special teams play. 2 blocked punts set up the offense with short Fields.
OK...maybe not great in your opinion, however Cocks actually would have put 60 on board with a so so night if 2--TWO-- touchdowns had not been called back with pseudo penalties... and they gave up zero -so maybe they just could be slightly underrated..jmho .Go Cocks

Reactions: jeff2001
I thought Lloyd would have a better game too, but coming off the ACL tear might have effected him mentally in the game and it may have to take playing a few more games until he can trust his knee, mentally... Good news White looked good running the ball and he is a man on a mission...
Good point. Even Lattimore had a fumble or two in his first game back at Vandy.

Hopefully Lloyd will have gotten the confidence he needed after this game.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
OK...maybe not great in your opinion, however Cocks actually would have put 60 on board with a so so night if 2--TWO-- touchdowns had not been called back with pseudo penalties... and they gave up zero -so maybe they just could be slightly underrated..jmho .Go Cocks
I should have said this offense may struggle against the better teams we play . And the special teams hopefully will continue to help the O.

Reactions: Cockman101
Pros:

2. The defense played fast and physical. For the first time since Muschamp stained our sideline, they looked like a cohesive unit.

Cons:

1. The OL. It was hard watching them give up so much pressure up the middle. Considering the were supposed to be a strength -- again -- that was very disappointing.

yeah, Lloyd only put up 55 yards on 14 carries, but it was his first game action in 2 years. Hopefully he’ll get more confident.

The one thing I didn’t like about the game plan was giving so many back touches. I kind of understand the point, but it kind of reminded me of the Muschamp days when there seemed to be no cohesive plan for the running attack. We wound try one running back for a couple plays then another one for a play, then bring a different one in for a couple plays, and bring the first one back for a few plays then go back to another one for one play. I’d like to see Us have a Main guy with a back up also getting substantial reps.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I expected our defense to play soft, bend don't break, even against a weak opponent. The fact we came out attacking on defense, challenging the offense, was a revelation.

Now, can we do that against a quality opponent? That's the million dollar question. If we can, that will take a load off the offense, give us better field position, and we will win more than 4 games.

Last edited:
Pros:

Cons:

This sums it up precisely.
Well Done.
I was VERY pleased with our performance. The team looked like a well coached team playing an opening season game. We aren't world beaters, we have some areas to improve on, our talent and depth isn't top tier, but it was a GREAT start to a new era.
It was simply refreshing to see a coach use the clock to score at the the end of the half (Muffcramp couldn't tell time) and to see us play additional players (read QB's) for a few snaps to get a game feel (Muffcramp couldn't think into the future).

Taking any win around here is the problem. You beat a horrific team as a 40 pt favorite at home and suddenly some seem to think the corner has been turned. I have no doubt that Muschamp, or even Brad Scott or Richard Bell, would have rolled that team. Means nothing. Play somebody with a pulse and we will see

You sure you’re a Gamecock fan? You know how many times we’ve been favored by large margins and not covered ( or even close)? We were favored by 40……we did our job for a change.

Reactions: jeff2001
We beat Charleston Southern 72-10 in 2019 and they were a much better team than Eastern Illinois.

Why are we pretending the performance last

We beat Charleston Southern 72-10 in 2019 and they were a much better team than Eastern Illinois.

Why are we pretending the performance last night was an outlier?
Huh? If you've been following the Gamecocks for decades, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Huh? If you've been following the Gamecocks for decades, you'd know what I'm talking about.
I mean I've been following for more than two decades now so yeah I'm not seeing what you're talking about other than hoping it's going to be better this time.

Anyone trying to take real takeaways from the other night is foolish.

I mean I've been following for more than two decades now so yeah I'm not seeing what you're talking about other than hoping it's going to be better this time.

Anyone trying to take real takeaways from the other night is

Anyone trying to take real takeaways from the other night is foolish.
The game of football has tangibles and intangibles. There were some tangibles (zero points allowed in forever, blocked punts in years, etc..) and more intangibles. I don't think anyone with sound football logic is saying this "W" means we've turned things around but to say there's nothing different and no positive takeaways is just plain foolish.

Reactions: WingchunCock
The game of football has tangibles and intangibles. There were some tangibles (zero points allowed in forever, blocked punts in years, etc..) and more intangibles. I don't think anyone with sound football logic is saying this "W" means we've turned things around but to say there's nothing different and no positive takeaways is just plain foolish.
It was one game against maybe the worst team we've played in 20 years. There isn't enough data to tell if that intangible was based on us or the opponent.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
It was one game against maybe the worst team we've played in 20 years. There isn't enough data to tell if that intangible was based on us or

It was one game against maybe the worst team we've played in 20 years. There isn't enough data to tell if that intangible was based on us or the opponent.
Lol... One game, unless it was against a Pop Warner squad., lol can tell a team some things of value. So we'll agree to disagree.

yeah, Lloyd only put up 55 yards on 14 carries, but it was his first game action in 2 years. Hopefully he’ll get more confident.

The one thing I didn’t like about the game plan was giving so many back touches. I kind of understand the point, but it kind of reminded me of the Muschamp days when there seemed to be no cohesive plan for the running attack. We wound try one running back for a couple plays then another one for a play, then bring a different one in for a couple plays, and bring the first one back for a few plays then go back to another one for one play. I’d like to see Us have a Main guy with a back up also getting substantial reps.
It's called evaluating everyone for game 1, but it also allows for fresh legs throughout the games. The game has changed over time. Not so much about one main guy at RB.
Btw, Harris did have over 1,100 yards against 10 SEC opponents last year, so that's not much of a comparison to the Muschamp staff. Which they sucked, definitely not taking up for them in any way.

Reactions: rogue cock
You can't take much away for the rest of the season talent wise by blowing out an inferior opponent, but we did blow them out. EIU was never in the game.

However, I was extremely pleased with the "play to win" mindset instead of the consistent Muschamp mindset of play not to lose. Going for 2, going for it on 4th down, going for punt blocks -all of those things are things we can build an identity with. We will probably lose quite a few games this year, but if we lose playing hard and playing to win, I won't mind too much. When we go to Athens, I want to see that kind of aggressive mindset.

You can't take much away for the rest of the season talent wise by blowing out an inferior opponent, but we did blow them out. EIU was never in the game.

However, I was extremely pleased with the "play to win" mindset instead of the consistent Muschamp mindset of play not to lose. Going for 2, going for it on 4th down, going for punt blocks -all of those things are things we can build an identity with. We will probably lose quite a few games this year, but if we lose playing hard and playing to win, I won't mind too much. When we go to Athens, I want to see that kind of aggressive mindset.
I agree with your assessment, but I’ll add that a football team that believes in its leadership and in itself can easily win some games it’s not supposed to.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
It's called evaluating everyone for game 1, but it also allows for fresh legs throughout the games. The game has changed over time. Not so much about one main guy at RB.
Btw, Harris did have over 1,100 yards against 10 SEC opponents last year, so that's not much of a comparison to the Muschamp staff. Which they sucked, definitely not taking up for them in any way.

a whole lot of teams out there have, if not a feature back, a primary back.

Something is starting to stink. I don't think this thread is going to age well.
Season isn't over yet... We're better than last year with 3 wins... The losses are the same of getting blown out...

At least we can count on Muschamp getting blown out by Clemson, let's see what Beamer can do against Clemson... Clemson is out key game to win in-state recruiting battles with very good players...

So... What do you think of Beamer now???

I had before the season going 3-9... They are 5-4 and could end up going 6-6, 7-5, 8-4 or just lay an egg and go 5-7... But this has been a hellava of a year for Coach Beamer and he should be named SEC coach of the year with what he had to work with and bring this team together... Under Muschamp, the program was very toxic in the locker room and it started with Muschamp and other coaches...

Let's beat MIZZOU and go bowling.. This team deserves going bowling at 6-6...

Reactions: tngamecock#
Happy for him. Need to stick with him to see what he builds. Now, the jury is still out on Satterfield IMO. Let's build an O line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT