ADVERTISEMENT

So what if the SEC says we can't play Clemson?

GandBinNC

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Jul 12, 2011
Raleigh, NC (from Columbia, SC)
So, what if we do anyway? What will the SEC do? Fine us? This would be the 112th consecutive meeting. The second-longest streak in the country. I say, to hell with the SEC. We need to play Clemson. If you agree with me, email President Caslen and AD Tanner, et al. Fan outcry will force their hand. Clemson is already on board. This is bigger than the SEC.

Reactions: vacock#
So, what if we do anyway? What will the SEC do? Fine us? This would be the 112th consecutive meeting. The second-longest streak in the country. I say, to hell with the SEC. We need to play Clemson. If you agree with me, email President Caslen and AD Tanner, et al. Fan outcry will force their hand. Clemson is already on board. This is bigger than the SEC.
I doubt it will actually force their hand, but rest assured they're looking for something that will work, even if it is a temporary order that the teams must play from the state house. If we play any games, Clemson needs to be one of them.

I really want that to be true.......but it's not. Not anywhere close to the truth.

I’m sure it would be some sort of NCAA Violation. We’d be protected...as long as Clemson showed up they won’t do anything to us.

Maybe it could work if Clemson agreed that the game would be canceled if the SEC needed USC to play a make-up game that weekend which would be needed in determining the two teams to play in the SEC championship.

That’s what the SEC cares about - protecting the integrity of the season in determining a champion. Same could be the case with the ACC. If Clemson had a game postponed due to a covid outbreak then they could use the weekend of the USC game, if needed, to make up the ACC game.

Both sides would know in advance the needs of the conferences would trump the rivalry game if necessary, but at least we would have a chance to continue the rivalry uninterrupted.

Reactions: hillstosea
Man your avatar made me think you were Cock of Earl... Then I read your post and I could actually understand it! That was a bit jarring, I had to go back and actually read your name! LOL

I wish we had been able to keep the taters on schedule but I understand why we could not and I doubt we get in 10 games anyway. The first time someone catches a sniffle, the season is over... Every single major sport that has restarted has had cases... It is unlikely college players will magically avoid it.

SEC may use it as an excuse to get rid of us and add a team that is relevant and adds to the strength of the conference.
HAHAHAHA... We already bring a lot to the conference. If football was all that mattered they'd have found a way to dump Vandy years ago.

HAHAHAHA... We already bring a lot to the conference. If football was all that mattered they'd have found a way to dump Vandy years ago.
Vandy lends academic cachet to the conference and resides in a great city that people love to visit. They are also charter members. Vandy has redeeming factors that others don't. But make no mistake, the SEC is a football-first league, and heavily so.

Part of being in a conference & sharing in all the money being in said conference affords you means you abide by the rules of that conference. It's really an easy concept. If you want to make independent decisions, then by all means, drop out of that conference, & declare yourself an independent. I know of one team that did just that, the results were highly predictable. I highly doubt there is much appetite to try that a second time unless you love misery.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no way the SEC dumps Vandy. They are a member of the AAU (Association of American Universities). The AAU is one of the most exclusive academic organizations a university can belong to. And, you don't apply, it's by invitation only.

A big reason TAMU and Mizzou were invited to the SEC was that they were also members of the AAU. This lifted the academic profile for the whole conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
Vandy lends academic cachet to the conference and resides in a great city that people love to visit. They are also charter members. Vandy has redeeming factors that others don't. But make no mistake, the SEC is a football-first league, and heavily so.

Isnt our football grad rate better than Vandy's?

When you join a conference you go by the rules and guidelines established by the conference. You cannot go out on your own and do what you want to do. That is how it works. Just like when you are employed by a company you have to go by their rules and guidelines. You agree to this when you join the conference. Back in the early 70's USC, Clemson all agreed to leave the ACC. Well you know the rest of that story. If you think for one second Clemson cares about USC you are truly misinformed. Just like in life sometimes we all have to do things that we do not agree with. You have no idea of how much work was put into USC joining the SEC. The fact of the matter is the SEC is where a lot of student athletes want to go. Sure I am like you I value the rivalry but it is what it is, life goes on and it will continue. Ray Tanner, Caslen all voted for the non conference game. The league just as it did when they admitted us back in 1992 voted not to have non conference games. In the long run there is too much at stake for us to go out doing things on our own just because we do not agree with it. Too much includes yearly revenue from the SEC, playing in the most prestigous conference.

South Carolina better watch its move here. The "no one can tell us what to do" children already got us wrecked with another conference that sent our sports programs into a decades long tail spin. Ultimately it worked out ok with the invite to the SEC.

Don't fall for the ACC and Clempson's tricks here. The ACC was one of the first to announce a conference only schedule. Then the SEC follows suit and they change their mind. The ACC would like nothing more than for this to create conference issues for USC, UGA and UF. Clempson would also love for this to create bad blood between the Cocks and the SEC.

This game (or any games) probably won't happen anyway. Let this one go. The SEC made the right call.

Reactions: ForeUSC
Bowl Games ? We may be getting way ahead of ourselves here.
As things stand now, what Chamber of Commerce is going to plan on of having several thousand out of towners descend on their cities ? And, add the crowding of hotels and restaurants in their downtown area. No football game would be worth the negative scrutiny and publicity.

When you join a conference you go by the rules and guidelines established by the conference. You cannot go out on your own and do what you want to do. That is how it works. Just like when you are employed by a company you have to go by their rules and guidelines. You agree to this when you join the conference. Back in the early 70's USC, Clemson all agreed to leave the ACC. Well you know the rest of that story. If you think for one second Clemson cares about USC you are truly misinformed. Just like in life sometimes we all have to do things that we do not agree with. You have no idea of how much work was put into USC joining the SEC. The fact of the matter is the SEC is where a lot of student athletes want to go. Sure I am like you I value the rivalry but it is what it is, life goes on and it will continue. Ray Tanner, Caslen all voted for the non conference game. The league just as it did when they admitted us back in 1992 voted not to have non conference games. In the long run there is too much at stake for us to go out doing things on our own just because we do not agree with it. Too much includes yearly revenue from the SEC, playing in the most prestigous conference.

All due respect, I have a pretty good idea of the work that went into USC joining the SEC. It was improbable and fortunate and a Godsend for the University of South Carolina. And I don't think Carolina playing Clemson would endanger USC's membership within the conference. Tempest in a teapot.

Having said that, I believe the second longest running rivalry in the country is worth fighting for. You make a false equivalency between our troubles in the ACC, which were myriad, and spearheaded by a football coach/AD bent on leaving the conference we helped found, and this situation with the SEC. No comparison whatsoever.

All due respect, I have a pretty good idea of the work that went into USC joining the SEC. It was improbable and fortunate and a Godsend for the University of South Carolina. And I don't think Carolina playing Clemson would endanger USC's membership within the conference. Tempest in a teapot.

Having said that, I believe the second longest running rivalry in the country is worth fighting for. You make a false equivalency between our troubles in the ACC, which were myriad, and spearheaded by a football coach/AD bent on leaving the conference we helped found, and this situation with the SEC. No comparison whatsoever.
One thing for sure is we both support USC. Lets just say we agree to disagree on certain viewpoints. Just like a job, your company tells you to
do something this way and you decide to do it your way. Well a couple of things are going to happen either you are going to be written up, suspended or fired. I have seen that a few times in life. Whether or not we agree with the SEC we agreed to go by the rules, guidelines of the conference when we joined. Like you I wanted to play the game, but I am
a believer in abiding by the rules and guidelines set forth either in a job or a conference affliliation. Believe it or not the ACC came back later on and made some guidelines if we decided to rejoin. USC was not going to do that. Clemson does not and never will care about USC. Trust me the SEC has a list of schools that would give anything to be a member. Membership in the SEC is truly valuable. Maybe one Saturday during football season I can buy you a beer and we can continue this friendly conversation.

One thing for sure is we both support USC. Lets just say we agree to disagree on certain viewpoints. Just like a job, your company tells you to
do something this way and you decide to do it your way. Well a couple of things are going to happen either you are going to be written up, suspended or fired. I have seen that a few times in life. Whether or not we agree with the SEC we agreed to go by the rules, guidelines of the conference when we joined. Like you I wanted to play the game, but I am
a believer in abiding by the rules and guidelines set forth either in a job or a conference affliliation. Believe it or not the ACC came back later on and made some guidelines if we decided to rejoin. USC was not going to do that. Clemson does not and never will care about USC. Trust me the SEC has a list of schools that would give anything to be a member. Membership in the SEC is truly valuable. Maybe one Saturday during football season I can buy you a beer and we can continue this friendly conversation.

Sounds good. Cheers. Hope things work out to have any football at all, and who knows, maybe the SEC will soften their stance and the rivalry can go on with their blessing. Its not just us with skin in the rivalry game - its Georgia/Ga Tech and Florida/FSU as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT