ADVERTISEMENT

So what's our brand?

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
Trevor Lawrence pushed the Clemson brand last night. Save the religion and character stuff for the other thread, I'm talking football brand.

I would say Clemson is a dynamic, fast paced spread offense with a mobile, accurate QB and big fast receivers. Defense is blitzing, physical stop the run first oriented. And they win.

Other examples are the Naval academy's triple option, LSU's passing game, Oklahoma's creative play calling, Wisconsin and Georgia's physical running game. All these teams win at a good clip.

A lot more goes into brand, but let's focus on the football.

What is Mr. Muschamp's brand? He owes that to us, we need a direction. "Doing what our players can do" is a cop out because he controls recruiting. And is winning part of our brand?

Our brand is weakness. Our offensive line is physically weak and has no durability. Our backs cannot blow up defensive players and the skill set for our receivers is terrible as a group and cannot win 50% balls most of the time. Defensively......secondary is worst in SEC and haven't learned to tackle or cover on most plays. Our front 7 has gotten better and is tackling better but once the ball crosses 10-15 yards down field, we lose. We haven't gotten better since Muschamp showed up.

We have no “brand” the only thing Muschamp has given us to hang our hats own, is an occasional Spurs up. His 4 seasons here have diminished our program in SC and have made us “irrelevant nationally! I don’t see a brand being established at USC as long as Tanner and Muschamp are driving the bus.” In my 42 years as a Gamecock I’ve never seen us “the fans” this bleak, Will Muschamp has stripped away the pride we felt being a part of this program. And I don’t think he’s in a hurry to pull us back in, Maybe our brand should be called “Will Muschamp in full control!” Or “Champ got them on lock” considering the huge buyout he roped Tanner into signing. And we all know he’ll be in Columbia as long as we win 7 or 8 games every other year. This could get worse!

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Well, the good news is it can turn around quickly with the right hires. You mention LSU’s brand now is it’s passing game. But before this year it was a solid D with a boring offense that couldn’t score against Bama. Joe Brady changed all that in a few month’s time.

LSU on offense has always had fantastic skill guys and a very good OL. They seemed to struggle getting the right guys at QB.

What put them over the top was getting a top notch transfer at QB who committed to throwing (IIRC) 10,000 passes over the summer break to his receivers.

I'm not sure who "next man up" is when Burrow leaves, but he has big shoes to fill. Be interesting to see if their offense regresses a bit next year.

I bet every Clemson player is talked to and explained the importance of brand.

Dabo is a salesman, he understands brands. We are clueless.

They most definitely understand pushing a brand. It's why you see that ugly damn Tiger paw emblazoned on everything. It's recognizable, it's Marketing 101.

Then look at us, just in the three big men's sports.. Football helmets have had different brand stickers, and we change uniforms every week.. Basketball uniforms are completely different logo wise from football. Some jerseys say, "Carolina"...other jerseys say, "South Carolina". The emblem on our baseball hat is completely different and unrecognizable from the other two sports.

It's discombobulated, chaotic, and scattered, there's no unifying identity.

They most definitely understand pushing a brand. It's why you see that ugly damn Tiger paw emblazoned on everything. It's recognizable, it's Marketing 101.

They've been doing it a long time, too. Back when I was a kid in the 70s those tiger paws were sprayed in orange paint on the old Clemson Highway at least as far as Pendleton.

The brand shouts “satisfied with mediocrity, now and forever.” Although occasionally if the right helmet is chosen, it shouts “we are Chic-fil-a.”

Well, the good news is it can turn around quickly with the right hires. You mention LSU’s brand now is it’s passing game. But before this year it was a solid D with a boring offense that couldn’t score against Bama. Joe Brady changed all that in a few month’s time.
We have always been told you can’t win big here in this state. Clemson proved that wrong

Outside of our "Fire Ant" defense of the 80's, we haven't had much cause for a brand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT