ADVERTISEMENT

Some people need to seriously calm down...

carolina81

Apr 4, 2001
Nobody knows a damn thing about what's going on behind the scenes with the coaching search. Everything at this point is pure speculation. As Heath was saying on his show the other day, even with all of the vacancies right now, there is a large pool of solid coaching candidates this year (some already HC's, some coordinators). Let the search play out before throwing Tanner, BOT, etc. under the bus. When the dust settles, we'll more than likely have a good hire. He may not be a celebrity, household name like a lot of fans want, but that doesn't mean such a coach can't be successful. All that matters is that he can coach, run a program, and appeal to recruits. Go Cocks.

They say it's lazy to quote and respond (or something like that), but I want to do it anyway.

Nobody knows a damn thing about what's going on behind the scenes with the coaching search. Everything at this point is pure speculation.

Yup.

As Heath was saying on his show the other day, even with all of the vacancies right now, there is a large pool of solid coaching candidates this year (some already HC's, some coordinators).

I totally disagree with this. The pool of candidates who could conceivably come into this situation and make a difference isn't that big. We need a home run. We pull top twenty recruiting classes here pretty often - and usually finish 7th at best, usually lower in the SEC, along with being 4th in our division in that conference. This is a tough neighborhood. The other schools have just as much cashflow to throw at coaches and facilities as we do, and some more (or they are crazy enough to spend more).

We absolutely have to get a Herman, a Smart, Fuente even (though that bird has flown). We are going nowhere like Kentucky if we sign a Stoops, or a Fedora.

Really Spurrier did us a favor quitting when he did (though last January would have been better). It should have worked. But this season has been like no other I've ever seen for coaches getting canned or resigning for various reasons.

And while this is a great job, some that are better opened up (or may like Texas).

I don't really listen to Heah Kline (Cline?), but I want him to provide a list of "a large pool of solid coaching candidates this year," that he has. Preferably he can read them to me on air, and I get carte blanche and control of the mike to respond when he is done (none of this going to break and ignoring the call), I'm going to question and mock him with a verbal hammer.

Let the search play out before throwing Tanner, BOT, etc. under the bus. When the dust settles, we'll more than likely have a good hire. He may not be a celebrity, household name like a lot of fans want, but that doesn't mean such a coach can't be successful. All that matters is that he can coach, run a program, and appeal to recruits. Go Cocks.

Uh huh. If he isn't a celebrity, or a recruiting demon how is he going to recruit? If you haven't noticed we are SURROUNDED now by programs that emphasize recruiting. He might "appeal" to recruits, but there are LOTS of those guys around us now. And he really needs to run a scheme on offense that can compete against schools with better talent (Herman) or find someone who can (Smart).

One guy that could have made a difference in this regard (Smart) stands a good chance of being hired by Georgia (unless they win the Herman sweepstakes). As far as the other big name mentioned, Herman, I have sneaking feeling he is holding out for Texas either this year, or camping at Houston with his expanded pay for a year.

He's right as far as there being some guys out there that aren't being talked about. But they don't appear to even be a blip on our radar.

We'll probably get some guy like Tubberville or Fedora. And if we do odds are we lose to Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, A&M year after year after year.

Whereas VT got their guy in a hurry. Think it was a better job, but still.

Someone put up a thread saying that if Georgia names Smart (or Herman) as HC tomorrow, what exactly was Tanner doing all this time? I think it is a fair question.

Reactions: Cbreezy33
Who is this large pool of coaches that are available? Heath forgot to name any.

You do realize this hire is ten times more important than the Spurrier or even Lou hire. This could make or break this program. There is no "reset" button. You either stay up with teams in this league or you get left behind and spend 20 years playing catch up.

Reactions: Cbreezy33
UTK has still not returned to the glory days of Phat Phil.

This will be a momentous, consequential hire.

Since joining the SEC, we've had Sparky, Fatso, Holtz & Spurrier.

Despite all the message board hysteria, this is a big deal.

Go Cocks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT