ADVERTISEMENT

Someone asked why ESPN was failing

That has absolutely nothing to do with why they are failing. They get a couple bucks for each person who pays a cable or satellite bill. TENS OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ARE CANCELING SUBSCRIPTION TV EVERY YEAR. That is why they are failing. That is the only reason. People pushing their own political agendas like to imply that some liberal undertones spouted by a few on air personalities had a hand in the downfall but it has absolutely nothing to do with it. People have proven for decades that an offensive or controversial tv broadcast will get MORE views especially from those who disagree with the message.... ESPN has to find a new revenue source or they will go out of business.

Sports eye candy helps too....:D:);)

11371227_1518784241744876_951996166_n.jpg

That has absolutely nothing to do with why they are failing. They get a couple bucks for each person who pays a cable or satellite bill. TENS OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ARE CANCELING SUBSCRIPTION TV EVERY YEAR. That is why they are failing. That is the only reason. People pushing their own political agendas like to imply that some liberal undertones spouted by a few on air personalities had a hand in the downfall but it has absolutely nothing to do with it. People have proven for decades that an offensive or controversial tv broadcast will get MORE views especially from those who disagree with the message.... ESPN has to find a new revenue source or they will go out of business.
You are partly correct and totally wrong..If you don't think liberal politics and aggression has pissed off a ton of Americans, you have your head in the sand

So, you obviously agree with this.

Does that then explain why NFL viewership was down big time and most of their games can be viewed on local TV?

ESPN's issues are a combination of things. First off, they made a mistake of vastly over paying for contracts while not realizing that technology would keep evolving to the point that would make cable TV not the absolute must have that it was for years. Suddenly, their political views aren't helping their cause. I would venture to say that the majority of sports fans are fairly conservative types. But ESPN seems intent on driving a political agenda. Just this week I was looking forward to see the special on the Celtics/Lakers. But while it did cover the history of the rivalry, it doesn't take one very long to realize that they were really trying to do a political story on race and to illustrate how Boston is a racist city. I watch games on the network, but rarely view anything else on there. Anyone who will honor someone with their "courage award" for basically choosing to be a freak over many other truly courageous candidates, is not a network I care to pay serious attention to.

Not surprised that article comes from Fox, which panders to the whiny alt-right.

People are cutting the cord. That's it. Nobody's going to skip our game on tv because of Michael Sam.
I kept paying for satellite just to watch espn shows especially during football season now I don't care to hear their garbage. I can't speak for others but they ARE the reason I cut the cord.

You can watch all the top ten clips you want while sitting on the toilet or sitting at a desk while at work.

There's no reason to watch sports programming. I can find out anything I want to know about sports news from my cell phone.

Does anyone get excited to read the sports section of their newspaper? Why would you when you have sports forums/websites, Facebook, twitter, etc. I don't need to watch until 7pm to find out who the Cavs are going to target in the offseason bc I've already been exposed to that news 20 times already before I left work.

There used to be recruiting news phone numbers you could call into. Think they tanked because of s political agenda or bc information is instantly available now?

I know plenty of people that have left cable all together. Netflix and Hulu is much cheaper. Broadcasting companies need to figure out how to monetize the digital platform.

You are partly correct and totally wrong..If you don't think liberal politics and aggression has pissed off a ton of Americans, you have your head in the sand
Where did I say that?
I was talking about why ESPN is collapsing and I am 100% correct. The liberal undertones I mentioned had ZERO impact on their downfall, I never anywhere said that over the top liberalism hasn't pissed anyone off! That extremist PC bullshit the pu$$;3$ have been craming down everyone's throats the past decade or so is the reason why we elected a bigot/sociopath to be president- because he was the only guy who didn't give a F about any of it!!

The thread was about ESPN, and they have NOT lost an impactful number of viewers because of liberals who work for them. Republicans who get all pissed about that kind of stuff windbup watching MORE generally to "see what they will say next"... in addition- the number of people who do or don't actually WATCH ESPN is not nearly as impactful as the number who are cutting the cord. Whether you watch or not, if you have Directv, any cable service.. ANY subscription TV service, a certain amount of what you pay goes straight to ESPN whether you watch their channel or not! Sure, verifiable ratings give them better Ad revenue, but the losses due to TENS OF MILLIONS of people cutting the cord and not paying the subscription fee means they are losing hundreds of millions in yearly revenue and the numbers are growing daily!

Again, anyone who tries to imply that liberal POVs have contributed at all to ESPN's downfall is not only WRONG, they are clearly pushing their own conservative agenda.

Reactions: ExpatCarolinian
All of the people ticked off at ESPN, why aren't they tuning into Fox Sports 1? Undisputed is getting laughable ratings and FS1 programming is way more to the right of ESPN.

Reactions: ExpatCarolinian
I heard Kellerman's diatribe and felt it was some of the most ignorant garbage i had ever heard...I don't know why the talking heads of sports tv have hard time admitting that Kaepernick is a militant pretentious jerk that screwed himself royally..
If you think Kaepernick is a militant pretentious jerk you really prefer getting your opinions spoon fed to you from others instead of doing a little research for yourself. He didn't Tweet or release a public announcement ahead of the first time he took a knee. He just did it in the background of the situation without a lot of hubbub. He simply did it quietly and without fanfare. The media swooped in and made it a public spectacle. He simply chose to make a silent protest in his own way. He doesn't owe it to anyone to stand during the national anthem. He doesn't owe it to the Minute Men, he doesn't owe it to the Doughboys, he doesn't owe it to the Greatest Generation. It's his right- the same right that everyone that fought for this Country defended with their life. Do you and I have a right to be disgusted by it, you damn right, but we don't have a right to force standing for the Anthem. Yes, many were disgusted by ESPN's coverage of it, but that isn't the prime reason ESPN is struggling. It's struggling because their non-live sports programming blows, and people have tons of other options and alternatives for watching sports, or even alternatives to watching sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: KansasCock#1
I kept paying for satellite just to watch espn shows especially during football season now I don't care to hear their garbage. I can't speak for others but they ARE the reason I cut the cord.
No, they were the last remaining reason you didn't for a while until you decided it wasn't worth it to you just for football.

The American people have had liberal politics shoved in their face and up their keister for the past 8 years...The gig is up...True Americans are not as loud as liberals jackasses..But they are more pissed off than anytime since i have been alive...The people are quietly furious...We have had it

Where did I say that?
I was talking about why ESPN is collapsing and I am 100% correct. The liberal undertones I mentioned had ZERO impact on their downfall, I never anywhere said that over the top liberalism hasn't pissed anyone off! That extremist PC bullshit the pu$$;3$ have been craming down everyone's throats the past decade or so is the reason why we elected a bigot/sociopath to be president- because he was the only guy who didn't give a F about any of it!!

The thread was about ESPN, and they have NOT lost an impactful number of viewers because of liberals who work for them. Republicans who get all pissed about that kind of stuff windbup watching MORE generally to "see what they will say next"... in addition- the number of people who do or don't actually WATCH ESPN is not nearly as impactful as the number who are cutting the cord. Whether you watch or not, if you have Directv, any cable service.. ANY subscription TV service, a certain amount of what you pay goes straight to ESPN whether you watch their channel or not! Sure, verifiable ratings give them better Ad revenue, but the losses due to TENS OF MILLIONS of people cutting the cord and not paying the subscription fee means they are losing hundreds of millions in yearly revenue and the numbers are growing daily!

Again, anyone who tries to imply that liberal POVs have contributed at all to ESPN's downfall is not only WRONG, they are clearly pushing their own conservative agenda.
What does Donald Trump have to do with this? Job numbers are up, border crossing down 80%,unemployment down,stock market off the hook, gangs being deported, fewer on food stamps etc. Look at the facts, the "bigot" is doing pretty well. I simply don't understand how one can hate another person they don't even know......could it be they just want to push THEIR agenda? Nearly 70 million can't be wrong.

If you think Kaepernick is a militant pretentious jerk you really prefer getting your opinions spoon fed to you from others instead of doing a little research for yourself. He didn't Tweet or release a public announcement ahead of the first time he took a knee. He just did it in the background of the situation without a lot of hubbub. He simply did it quietly and without fanfare. The media swooped in and made it a public spectacle. He simply chose to make a silent protest in his own way. He doesn't owe it to anyone to stand during the national anthem. He doesn't owe it to the Minute Men, he doesn't owe it to the Doughboys, he doesn't owe it to the Greatest Generation. It's his right- the same right that everyone that fought for this Country defended with their life. Do you and I have a right to be disgusted by it, you damn right, but we don't have a right to force standing for the Anthem. Yes, many were disgusted by ESPN's coverage of it, but that isn't the prime reason ESPN is struggling. It's struggling because their non-live sports programming blows, and people have tons of other options and alternatives for watching sports, or even alternatives to watching sports.
That was dumbest most insulting post I have ever almost read. He owes it to ALL those doughboys and the greatest generation people you just pissed on. THEY gave him the right to insult the flag and hit a now jobless knee you misguided "person". You will never see anyone in North Korea not stand for the flag sir they would be dead in seconds. I have lived long enough to learn that all liberals are hypocrites at the core. How dare you insult my father and or his brother who was killed at Okinawa so this piece of mold could do what he did. People like yourself never earned freedom or know what it is you just complain and point fingers when my first cousin was shot in the head in Viet Nam. FGF can ban me for life but I wanted to let you know how sick you made me with that ignorant and sad post, you should be ashamed you ungrateful and ignorant "person". You should apologize to every veteran on this board. So insulting.

You will never see anyone in North Korea not stand for the flag sir they would be dead in seconds.

This is why the USA is a much better place to live than N. Korea (one of many, many reasons). We have the right and a political system which allows us to express dissent, however distasteful it may be. Surely you don't wish to make standing for the anthem compulsory, do you?

Reactions: Out of Conference
You are spot on, sir. Some people want so desperately to make EVERYTHING about politics, even when the obvious main root causes are an industry disruption caused by new technology.

I think people want their opinions validated. I really dislike ESPN's programming and much of it is debate-type shows. But what percentage of programming is political? Go up and down the lineup. It's moronic to think a "liberal slant" is what is causing hundreds of layoffs (like ESPN is the only sports network getting rid of people).

Liberals are too busy getting paid to riot and picket against President Trump to watch any sports, including ESPN. I personally believe Disney and ESPN will fix their viewership and revenue issues.

This is why the USA is a much better place to live than N. Korea (one of many, many reasons). We have the right and a political system which allows us to express dissent, however distasteful it may be. Surely you don't wish to make standing for the anthem compulsory, do you?
Well it was at one time. This what confuses me that so many young people don't get that there would be no rights if it weren't for the people who defended it. Why is that such a puzzle? I wore the uniform and was willing to take a bullet for peoples' right to be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: LakewoodCock
Alienation tips ratings the other way. But both these factors are valid. ESPN's acceleration toward financial decline wouldn't be any different than for anyone else if only the subscribership issue was in play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT