ADVERTISEMENT

Sometimes you have to survive first games

BeachBird

Nov 10, 2004
That was a huge test for a defense that needed confidence, a QB that needed confidence, receivers that needed confidence.

VERY VERY impressed with our O-line (except on 4th and 1). Otherwise, I thought they were lights out.

Reactions: spinrbait
agreed Jeff. That was a quality offense we played against and a decent Defense. That same offense averaged a huge point total last year.

We have typically been slow starters in first games. It will get better from here I hope :)

Reactions: spinrbait
The most encouraging thing to me is that the defense didn't let the big play break them. Last year it seemed like they'd allow a big play, then just roll over and let the other team score. Tonight when that happened, the buckled their belts and refused to budge.

There are still things to worry about. We made too many small mistakes, and for most of the 3rd quarter we didn't seem terribly interested in playing to our strength on offense by running the ball (though that's on the coaches, not the players). They also seem to lack the right killer instinct, resolutely refusing to punish UNC for any of their mistakes (a touchdown after that failed 4th down conversion would have been a back-breaker). But overall, signs are encouraging. If they practice hard, clean up their game, and grow as players, we'll have a pretty good team on our hands.

Reactions: chick75
Pass blocking was great. We had plenty of time to throw the ball. That 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 run blocking call was just a bad play call. I like this OL.

We didn't play lights out in the first game during our 3 straight 11 win seasons.....the ECU game that Garcia saved and Vanderbilt we beat 17-14 are two examples. We played better against UNC in a 27-10 win also but still not lights out. I think this team might be OK....we shall see though.

Yeah, I agree. First games are often just about surviving. I'm not overly concerned. While we obviously do need to step it up in a few areas, I saw some glimmers of hope and promise with this team. Glad to get the win, and hoping we get a lot more this season. Go Gamecocks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT