ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Venables is staying put

AltoonaSteve

Silver Member
Nov 22, 2021
He was in a recruit’s home with Dabo yesterday, after which visit the recruit reaffirmed his commitment to Clemson. Doesn’t seem like a guy who’s packing his bags.

^^^
giphy.gif

His son has completed his time at Clemson
So now might be the time

then again maybe he likes where he is coaching

I didn’t apply for a manager position because - it is a long story and not as some posters say about Venables …

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I’d say BV has a few jobs he’d take, one being Oklahoma. But teams like Oklahoma can hire coaches with successful Head Coaching experience. BV could be a great 3rd choice for a school like that. But I agree, if he doesn’t go, it likely means he wasn’t offered and wasn’t the top choice.

So now might be the time

I didn’t apply for a manager position because - it is a long story and not as some posters say about Venables …

Doesn't he have a younger son still at clemson? Or was I misinformed?

Reactions: WhyteHarper
So now might be the time

Again he has another son at Clemson that is a sophomore.

Reactions: WhyteHarper
You do if you are comfortable making 2.5 million. I mean not everyone is money hungry.
There are lots of cautionary tales out there. He gets paid $2.5 million/yr to do something he's very, very good at. Most head coaches fail. I admire the Bud Foster's and Joe Lee Dunn's of the world. Masters of their craft.
Let Muschamp be your example! HC in waiting at UT, hell of a defensive coordinator, hot commodity. Hell Clemson even interviewed him before hiring Dabo, most of us wanted him because of all the hype surrounding him. How many defensive guys work out as head coaches? Id say the only one that pops in my head is Kirby, not sure what saban's background was, i wanna say defense so there's that too.

Reactions: hotchkis
I don't know if he's afraid of failure, since I don't know him at all, but it's possible he just doesn't want to be an HC. Aside from actual games, there's the speaking circuit, the constant press conference, meet and greets with Booster/Alumni, and much more.
There's a lot more to being a HC then just roaming the sidelines 12 times a year.

Last edited:
Let Muschamp be your example! HC in waiting at UT, hell of a defensive coordinator, hot commodity. Hell Clemson even interviewed him before hiring Dabo, most of us wanted him because of all the hype surrounding him. How many defensive guys work out as head coaches? Id say the only one that pops in my head is Kirby, not sure what saban's background was, i wanna say defense so there's that too.
If Kirby had come here instead of UGA there is a good chance he would have ended up a canned mega millionaire just like mooch. UGA will always get talent regardless of who the coach is.

If he doesn't get the job, it can only mean he wasn't offered. Nobody that's sane stays at a job paying 2-2.5 million vs what an Oklahoma would pay.
I don't do well with the millions number so i always have to put something like this into a monthly thing.

Salary (gross, bc i have no idea what taxes are like on a few mil, but would love to find out from personal experience ;)

$120,000 a year is 10 grand a month
$250,000- 20,800 a month
$500k - 41,000 and some change
$2.5 million - 208,000 a month
$5 mil-416,000
$10 mil-832,000

Im sure i could do it, but it would be hard to spend 208,000 a month even if i put 50k a month away for my kids, I would still have 58,000 a month for me and the Mrs. Yes at 832k i could put more away for my kids and have a few extra houses but why add the stress of both sides of the ball and the politicking of running a program. Just my thoughts, I don't' even come close to 10k a month so there is that lol.

OU is supposedly announcing the hire at their basketball game tonight. Per the Tigers, Venables and Swinney are scheduled to visit a recruit on Thursday.

BV not going anywhere. He does not want to be a HC.
I have always heard he has zero interest in being a head coach.
I don't know him. I wouldn't recognize him on the street. But I have a few friends who know him and they swear he won't go. Once again, I don't know. But it will be interesting for sure.

Being a head coach, there is so much more you have to do that has nothing to do with coaching.

On top of it, you are not just in charge of players. You are in charge of your coaching staff. Then you have your media demands, weekly tv show, weekly radio show. Press conferences.

All eyes are on you.

Sometimes, as a coach, you just want to coach and that is it.

Venables gets paid a nice sum of money just to coach in the ACC. He knows what the Big 12 is like. He fell out of favor as a DC there. That is how he ended up in Clemson. He isn't going back for the headache of being head coach.

A lot of assistant coaches who become head coaches underestimate the demand of what being the head guy means.

He was in a recruit’s home with Dabo yesterday, after which visit the recruit reaffirmed his commitment to Clemson. Doesn’t seem like a guy who’s packing his bags.
Who knows? Brian Kelly was in a recruit's home for ND and finalized leaving for LSU when he got outside. I don't doubt Venables isn't man enough to be a head coach.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Venables gets paid a nice sum of money just to coach in the ACC. He knows what the Big 12 is like. He fell out of favor as a DC there. That is how he ended up in Clemson. He isn't going back for the headache of being head coach.

A lot of assistant coaches who become head coaches underestimate the demand of what being the head guy means.
Oklahoma is in the SEC, sooner or later. I don't how that affects your argument, just pointing out that the coaching in the Big XII shouldn't play much of a factor in his decision.

Oklahoma is in the SEC, sooner or later. I don't how that affects your argument, just pointing out that the coaching in the Big XII shouldn't play much of a factor in his decision.

It doesn't even matter really. The ACC with Clemson's athletes is a lot less stressful than coaching in the Big 12 or SEC.

It was defense. So as of now 2 of the best coaches in CFB were DC’s. Muschamp isn’t the model for every coach moving forward. He was just terrible at his job.

Taters are riding this as long as they can because it keeps Clemson in the news. They haven’t been mentioned for weeks in the National media so any publicity is good.

Reactions: Lakecock1 and TAV31
He has stayed at CU because he has not been offered another P5 job. Its that simple. Look for OU's hire to be more splashy than BV.

Reactions: TAV31
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT