ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Venables is staying put

Wasn't Satterfield out recruiting to? With todays salary escalations you would think he would jump on OU and give it a try.

Maybe when OU called Dabo for permission, he hung up the phone. (Jeff Scott said in the past when a school wants a Clemson assistant Dabo gets the first call and then advises)

It was defense. So as of now 2 of the best coaches in CFB were DC’s. Muschamp isn’t the model for every coach moving forward. He was just terrible at his job.
Agree both are two of the best, but are they the exception, not the rule? Who else has had success jumping from dc to hc?

Reactions: cockymom2boys
He has stayed at CU because he has not been offered another P5 job. Its that simple. Look for OU's hire to be more splashy than BV.
What’s splashier? I’m not saying he is all that, I’m just curious who you would have on that list.

His son has completed his time at Clemson
So now might be the time

then again maybe he likes where he is coaching

I didn’t apply for a manager position because - it is a long story and not as some posters say about Venables …
He has another son on the team that’s a sophomore.

Agree both are two of the best, but are they the exception, not the rule? Who else has had success jumping from dc to hc?

Below are some of the Notable former DC’s turned HC’s during the 2000’s:

Nick Saban @ Alabama
Kirby Smart @ Georgia
Luke Fickell @ Cincinnati
Mark Stoops @ Kentucky
Gary Patterson @ TCU
Bob Stoops @ Oklahoma
Pete Carroll @ USC
Kyle Whittingham @ Utah
Tom Allen @ Indiana
Mike Dantonio @ Michigan State
Bronco Mendenhall @ Virginia

I know not all of these are hired to their current job from a DC role, but there are still many defensive minded coaches with a lot of success. The game definitely shifted offensively the past 5-10 years. Oddly enough this season felt like a resurgence of defense like we saw with UGA.

I’d say you see close to, if not equal to the same amount of failures by coaches who were OC’s. It’s been a while but we experienced that with Brad Scott. You don’t usually see teams like UF and OU hire coordinators, though it does happen. Typically they find a proven winner and take him from a team. Times have changed.

Muschamp was more of the exception to the rule because he was a “can’t miss” guy that everyone would’ve taken at one point in his career. I can’t recall a candidate who ended up being more of a bust than Will Muschamp. He was supposed to be the next big thing.

Reactions: cfbfan15
BA57A865-53BB-4C62-B256-7B011757AF6D.jpeg

(Stolen. I can’t take credit for that)

I honestly think he’s afraid to be a HC to be honest. He knows he’d fail.
He actually had family (believe I heard it was his brother) move to SC to be closer to him, not to mention he has 1 son playing on the team and another still in HS. So he may be a decent family man and want to tell people thanks for the interest, but maybe in another 5 years? Plus, he's making around $2mm, so he's not working a 2nd job.

Again why does saying he might not want to be a head coach make me a tater. I hope he does go. Less we have to worry about. I just don’t think he will.
The why is because you are a TATER and you defend every taterism. Furthermore, you respond to nearly all tater posts that are negative towards them.
any further “why’s” I cannot answer because i dont think like a tater.

The why is because you are a TATER and you defend every taterism. Furthermore, you respond to nearly all tater posts that are negative towards them.
any further “why’s” I cannot answer because i dont think like a tater.
Think what you want. Put me on ignore. I’m not going anywhere.

Think what you want. Put me on ignore. I’m not going anywhere.
Boom, on a serious note i really hope you are not a tater but your actions of defense certainly have you taylor made for taterism. if you really dont want to be thought of as such them temper your opinion and stop replying to every single taterism post. People want to get on here and tear the taters an new one and WE DONT WANT A TRUE BRETHEREN to defend them….think before you blab

Boom, on a serious note i really hope you are not a tater but your actions of defense certainly have you taylor made for taterism. if you really dont want to be thought of as such them temper your opinion and stop replying to every single taterism post. People want to get on here and tear the taters an new one and WE DONT WANT A TRUE BRETHEREN to defend them….think before you blab
I am a Carolina fan but I’m not going to be blind by garnet glasses. I am capable of looking at things objectively. I don’t have a hate for them like most. Just not who I am.

Reactions: hillstosea
Venables has shown time and time again that he does not want to be a HC. And good for him for being so self-aware. Like others have said - nothing wrong with making $2.5M and not having all the pressure a HC has. He unlike a guy like Sarkisian who can't help himself from taking HC jobs even though it looks like he just got done crying every second he's on the sideline as the head guy.

Reactions: Lurker123
Has anyone even said he was interviewing? I haven’t seen any confirmation but I haven’t gone looking either.

Has anyone even said he was interviewing? I haven’t seen any confirmation but I haven’t gone looking either.

Internet rumors. One poster here says he worked with a guy who heard he was in Norman, etc.

So no, nothing official as far as I saw.

I would say if Venables turns down OU he does not want to be a HC. This job would pay him 5m or more a year than his current job and it’s a premier job. Those premier ones don’t come as often. The next team that offers him odds are will be less. You don’t turn down a high end quality team like OU to go to for example wake forest or Tenn. you take OU over SC as well. To me this means he’s with Dabo till he retires.

BV is not going anywhere, he is happy as a clam where he is -- making $2.9 mil, coaching in the JV conference, will never get fired. His fate at OU would be precarious at best even if he did make bigger bucks for a couple of years. You can look to see him in orange for a long time.

Reactions: 92Pony
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT