ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina AD Ray Tanner Stepping Down

Coach Tanner has been AD for a long time in today's world. I am glad he's staying on- and will be a Senior Advisor to the President and still heavily involved in the university and athletics department.

I am sure he wants to slow down at last a touch and enjoy his family and money. He will love slowing down a little.

Coach Tanner has been AD for a long time in today's world. I am glad he's staying on- and will be a Senior Advisor to the President and still heavily involved in the university and athletics department.

I am sure he wants to slow down at last a touch and enjoy his family and money. He will love slowing down a little.
Should have made this move into a university ambassador role a long time ago. 12 years as AD is our second longest tenure for AD.

His bosses wanted him to stay. That's really all that counts.

Most of our ADs have outworn their welcome in about 2-3 years.

I think he's done a great job.
He's a great ambassador- not a great AD. Football, mens basketball (except for 2017) and baseball programs have all underperformed during his tenure.

Reactions: PC31 and Patriot321
Ray haters.....
well-goldblum.gif

There were definitely times I'd wished Tanner would get out of dodge, there were just as many times I was glad we have him. So many people put so much stock in the football and basketball programs but in retrospect, how many of our ADs had great programs. He Is a great ambassador for the school, and I wish him great success in his new role. Now let's only hope we get a great AD to take his place.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Christmas came early! ❄️ Awesome news for GameCOCK Nation!!!!

Has Tanner cleaned his office out yet? Does USCPD need to respond and assist him out? You know… One of those “you don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here” ultimatums. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: Patriot321
I am not 100% sure i know what I think about this. As much as i too wanted him gone on Occasion, I actually liked the guy!
If someone has to hire a new football, basketball or baseball coach in the next several years (hopefully they are successful), it clearly shouldn't be Ray. We're on our third football coach (one retired), second basketball coach and third baseball coach since he became AD.

He's a great ambassador- not a great AD. Football, mens basketball (except for 2017) and baseball programs have all underperformed during his tenure.

I disagree with you about Tanner.

our basketball program and football program always underperforms.

I would imagine they were pretty tight. Perhaps he already had an idea this was coming when he was hired... unless this is reactionary to something else.
Mainieri: “The reason I came here is because of Ray Tanner,” he said. “I mean this sincerely. What an awesome opportunity for a college baseball coach to have as his boss a good friend, one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game and a tremendous administrator. It’s a privilege.”

So this didn’t age well.

Reactions: bucketdad
Mainieri: “The reason I came here is because of Ray Tanner,” he said. “I mean this sincerely. What an awesome opportunity for a college baseball coach to have as his boss a good friend, one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game and a tremendous administrator. It’s a privilege.”

So this didn’t age well.
He’ll probably dip out.

Holbrook was a good hire? Kingston?

IMO, both were.

Ray was responsible for hires. Not outcomes.

Holbrook was the obvious hire at the time.

Kingston was decent and was reflective of the fact we don't have top coaches flooding just because we hang a shingle.

We witnessed that again this year during the post-Kingston coaching search.

IMO, both were.

Ray was responsible for hires. Not outcomes.

Holbrook was the obvious hire at the time.

Kingston was decent and was reflective of the fact we don't have top coaches flooding just because we hang a shingle.

We witnessed that again this year during the post-Kingston coaching search.
King of excuses. The AD is responsible for outcomes. They get fired for hiring bad coaches at many schools. Muschamp hire alone would have gotten him fired at some schools. Regarding Holbrook and Kingston, we didn't make it to Omaha. They had the talent to make that happen.

Reactions: Lurker123
Please hire someone with no ties to the University. Hire the most qualified AD we can with experience in a power conference. If we hire with ties to University we will feel obligated to keep when the train derails.

King of excuses. The AD is responsible for outcomes. They get fired for hiring bad coaches at many schools. Muschamp hire alone would have gotten him fired at some schools. Regarding Holbrook and Kingston, we didn't make it to Omaha. They had the talent to make that happen.

This makes zero sense.

Think back to when Tanner hired Holbrook.

Did you believe that was a bad hire at the time?

Nope - almost everyone believed it was the correct hire.

Why do you now want to put him on the hook for that selection?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT