ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina High School Football Playoffs

king ward

Aug 10, 1999
Lancaster, SC
South Pointe is leading Beaufort 21-0 before the half in the S.C 4-A football championship game. If this holds up, Devonte Holloman will have his first state title with the Stallions. It will help remove him from the shadow of his predecessor, Strait Herron. I hope South Pointe gets it done.

Camden plays Daniel at 2:00 tomorrow afternoon in the 3-A championship game, and Silver Bluff plays Gray Collegiate in the 2-A championship game at
at 7:00p.m.

In the clash of 5-A Titans, Dutch Fork and Gaffney go at it at 5:00 Saturday afternoon.

• Angry
Reactions: Bftboy
I feel a little slighted here. In the most important game of the weekend, Bamberg-Ehrhardt meets Southside Christian Saturday at noon for the 1-A State Championship!

Reactions: king ward
Why are they not playing at williams Brice? Is it because of Blablo?
Last year they played at Benedict and said the reason was money. Willy B was too expensive or some nonsense. Haven’t heard a reason this year, but looks like they’re continuing the trend. You would think a state owned university and a state high school league could work something out.
No they don’t need 80k seats, but it’s special for the athletes playing in a P5 stadium. Also, it’s good for USC recruiting. The teams that play for state get an up close tour and experience of the facilities

Reactions: Brace1
There were empty seats at Benedict, so need to play at Williams-Brice. With Dutch Fork being local, maybe the crowd will be larger. Personally, I think the atmosphere is better in a packed smaller stadium than a half-empty Williams Brice.
It was disappointing that they did it at Benedict last year because they had socially distanced seating and only allowed something like 2500 fans. A ton of people that wanted to attend couldn’t.
At least they do an ok job of putting them on TV these days

Not too many years back, the rent for playing at WB was $56,000. The schools would rather have that money in their coffers (at the time of 4 classes and 8 teams playing, the rent would cost $7,000 per school, for example) and Benedict offered a good deal, can’t remember, maybe rent free if they could charge for parking and have concessions. If 20,000 fans show up for the games at $15 per, that’s $300,000. The SCHSL takes 20% off the top, leaving $240,000. Pay $60,000 for rent at Williams Brice (I’m sure it has increased) and you’re down to $180,000 divided by 10 schools. I don’t know what other expenses would be deducted. If you take a team and put them up for a night, say from Beaufort (2-3 hour drive?) and feed them 2-3-4 times and you transport the band and cheerleaders and all else, you will be lucky to break even for playing in a state championship game. And that’s if a good crowd shows up. The schools/teams that are hurting for budget would rather play a smaller venue and have their money for their programs. When the 1A and 2A pulled out (went to Benedict) now you divide that high rent by 6 schools, it’s even tougher. I think players would prefer the excitement of a packed house and Benedict does have good facilities.

King, do you know the attendance for yesterday’s game? I wonder if they split that gate between the two teams or all 3 days goes into one pile and then split it up. None of my business now, but I’m curious.

King, do you know the attendance for yesterday’s game? I wonder if they split that gate between the two teams or all 3 days goes into one pile and then split it up. None of my business now, but I’m curious.
I don't know the attendance. As far as the money goes, I'm thinking the SCHSL gets it all, pays the expenses (which can be whatever they want them to be), and then distributes to the schools.

There were empty seats at Benedict, so need to play at Williams-Brice. With Dutch Fork being local, maybe the crowd will be larger. Personally, I think the atmosphere is better in a packed smaller stadium than a half-empty Williams Brice.
That's right; this ain't Texas.

Reactions: DarkCock
Last year they played at Benedict and said the reason was money. Willy B was too expensive or some nonsense. Haven’t heard a reason this year, but looks like they’re continuing the trend. You would think a state owned university and a state high school league could work something out.
No they don’t need 80k seats, but it’s special for the athletes playing in a P5 stadium. Also, it’s good for USC recruiting. The teams that play for state get an up close tour and experience of the facilities
I read an article where Jerome Singleton said it was about money. Apparently 25% cheaper to hold it at Benedict or something like that.

Uh-oh - Daniel has extended their lead to 31-14 in the fourth. Title is going to Pickens County, much as I hate it. Now 45-20.

Last edited:
South Pointe is leading Beaufort 21-0 before the half in the S.C 4-A football championship game. If this holds up, Devonte Holloman will have his first state title with the Stallions. It will help remove him from the shadow of his predecessor, Strait Herron. I hope South Pointe gets it done.

Camden plays Daniel at 2:00 tomorrow afternoon in the 3-A championship game, and Silver Bluff plays Gray Collegiate in the 2-A championship game at
at 7:00p.m.

In the clash of 5-A Titans, Dutch Fork and Gaffney go at it at 5:00 Saturday afternoon.
I knew will had our hands full last weekend.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT