ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina MBB Resume (03/04/2020)

MACCGrad2014

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2015
Greenville, SC
Quick summation: Big win last night. Not a huge jump in the NET, but home wins rarely are this late in the year. We showed that we are a good team, and a tourney team, as long as TJ Moss isn't on the floor. That win should go a long way for us if we are able to take care of Vandy Saturday and play well in the SECT.

Bracketology Note: Based on Lunardi's latest projection, we are still in the Next Four Out. No surprise there. Here is his latest tweet:

SEC Standings:
Capture.png

SEC Tournament Analysis: As of now, there are four seeding scenarios for the Gamecocks. 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th. Here are the scanrios that need to happen for each of these seedings (I will update after tonight's games since Florida's scenario could change with an upset bu UGA):

• 7th: Gamecocks lose to Vandy, Tennessee AND Mississippi State win their final games. Florida does not factor in regardless of their final two results due to them holding the tiebreaker.
  • 6th: Gamecocks lose to Vandy, Tennessee OR Mississippi State win their final games. Florida does not factor in regardless of their final two results due to them holding the tiebreaker.
  • 5th: Gamecocks defeat Vandy and Florida wins one of their final two games. Miss State and UT do not factor in in this scenario because we hold the tie breaker over Miss State if they do win and Tennessee can't catch up to our 11 wins.
  • 4th: Gamecocks defeat Vandy and Florida loses their last two games. (@UGA, vs Kentucky)
For those curious, we can not reach the 3rd seed because even if Auburn and LSU lose their final game(s), they both hold the tiebreaker over us.

If the tournament were to begin today, the Gamecocks would be a 4 seed, winning the three-way tie breaker over Florida and Mississippi State. We would play one of Miss State (5 seed), UGA (13 seed) and Ole Miss (12 seed). This, however, is only because Florida hasn't had the chance to play. Assuming they win tonight, we would be the 5 seed playing the winner of UGA and Ole Miss.

Enough of that, let's get to it...

Link to the last Resume post (02/27):
https://southcarolina.forums.rivals...na-mbb-resume-02-27-2020.325863/#post-5010164

Link to Full NET Rankings: https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capture.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**For teams that we play twice I will denote the road game with an "@" symbol

For us:

Quadrant 1: (4-7)
Wins: Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas, Clemson
Losses: Wichita State, @Tennessee, Auburn, Northern Iowa, Houston, @Mississippi State, Alabama

Quadrant 2: (4-3)
Wins: @georgia, Tennessee, @Texas A&M, Mississippi State
Losses: Florida, Ole Miss, LSU

Quadrant 3: (5-1)
Wins: UMass, Vanderbilt, Missouri, Texas A&M, Georgia
Losses: Boston

Quadrant 4: (5-1)
Wins: UNA, Wyoming, Cleveland State, Gardner-Webb, George Washington,
Losses: Stetson

I would like to say congratulation to Stetson. They are no longer our worst NET opponent (still our worst loss though), Cleveland State has taken reigns of the worst NET opponent after losing in the first round of their Horizon tournament and ending their season.

**As mentioned last week, I am only going to highlight teams that have chance to move up or down in the bubble. Some teams are either destined for Quadrant 4 regardless of results at this point and some are sandwiched into one of the other quads with little hope of movement this late in the season. Post-to-post these teams could change based on upsets/being upset.

**if a highlight is green -> I think he means they COULD move up, not that I think they will. Red -> COULD move down, not that I think they will. This may be a little confusing based on previous posts, but this is the best way to do it since so many results from previous opponents won't really matter going forward.

Notes on teams we've played:

Boston University - Hanging on by a thread to Quad 3 status (only 2 spots), and that will all be determined Thursday as they take on 6-seed Navy in Round 1 of the Patriot League tournament. Boston enters the tournament as a 3-seed after losing the 2-seed to American. Should stay Quad 3 loss but they will fall to Quad 4 and simultaneously end their season Thursday with a loss to Navy.

Wichita St. - Wichita State has won 5 of their last 6 but that has not translated to much of a rise in the NET. They have been between 35 and 45 for most of the year since conference play started. They face Memphis and Tulsa to end the season. A loss to both could see them go down to Quad 2, but I find that highly doubtful. Either way, I will highlight red since the chance does exist.

Northern Iowa - I hope everyone is prepared to be huge Northern Iowa fans in the next couple of weeks. If they don't win their conference tourney, they could steal one of the precious bubble spots. They should be fine Quad-wise, I just wanted to make that note about needing to root for them.

Massachusetts - UMass ends the season at La Salle and at ome against Rhode Island. A road win against La Salle could vault them into Quad 2 as long as they aren't blown out by Rhode Island. They only need to move up 6 spots. Likely staying a Quadrant 3 win but if they win tonight, we could see them in Quad 2.

Clemson - Squeaked into Quad 1 and would be huge for us if they stayed that way. They end their season @Va Tech and at home against Ga Tech. I'm afraid anything short of going 2-0 would likely see them fall back into Quad 2. That obviously depends on results of other teams too. They just didn't get as big of a boost as I had hoped after beating FSU.

LSU - First team out of Quad 1. If they take care of Arkansas like they should, they will move into Quad 1. However... I would rather Arkansas win so that they move our of the bottom 4 seeds and move Mizzou into the bottom 4. I say that because if we do have to play one of the bottom 4 seeds (i.e. be a 5th or 6th seed ourselves), then I would rather have Mizzou than Arkansas.

Florida - Fourth team out of Quad 1. If they take care of Arkansas like they should, they will move into Quad 1. As much as it sucks, I think I may cheer for them tonight. I think it would be much more advantageous for us to get a 5th or 6th seed in the tournament, becuase right now we need wins and I want our first tourney game to be against bad competition.

Tennessee/@Tennessee - I said last week that I just can't see a way they stay @Q1/Q2 for us and then they go and defeat UK by 8 at Rupp. I just don't understand this Tennessee team at all. They should remain a Quad 1 road loss and a Quad 2 home win and are at no real threat to fall back.

Vanderbilt - Wow. Safe to say they should stay in Quad 3 now for both Home-and-Away. Only reason they would fall back would be if we blow them out of the water AND they get blown out of the water in Game 1 of the SECT, still they would have to fall 12 spots to be Quad4Home game and 100 spots to be a Quad4Road game.

Georgia -
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

If they can beat Florida tonight, they will move from @Q2/Q3 to @Q1/Q2 more than likely. My guess is they stay @Q2/Q3 though and more than likely finish 0-2.

**For teams that we play twice I will denote the road game with an "@" symbol

My Projection:

Quadrant 1: (4-9)
Wins: Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas, Clemson
Losses: Wichita State, @Tennessee, Auburn, Northern Iowa, Houston, @Mississippi State, Alabama, LSU, Florida

Quadrant 2: (5-1)
Wins: @georgia, Tennessee, @Texas A&M, Mississippi State, UMass
Losses: Ole Miss

Quadrant 3: (4-1)
Wins: Vanderbilt, Missouri, Texas A&M, Georgia
Losses: Boston

Quadrant 4: (5-1)
Wins: UNA, Wyoming, Cleveland State, Gardner-Webb, George Washington,
Losses: Stetson

Next Opponent: @Vandy (NET #148) - I'm not really going to do a write-up as we have already seen this team once. We need to win and we need to win about like how we did when they came to Colonial Life. It is time to impress the committee. An absolutely trouncing of a team, who just beat another team that was under consideration for the tourney, would look really good to polish off our pre-SECT resume. They are dangerous because they are only playing to spoil other team's chances. We need to stay focus and play OUR game. That means not letting Saban Lee and Scottie Pippen Jr run around like chickens with their heads cut off like Bama did.

I'll update this post with any news I find interesting and also probably after tonight's SEC games for seeding purposes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.