ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina MBB Resume (11/28/20)

MACCGrad2014

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2015
Greenville, SC
Link to the last post from last year: South Carolina MBB Resume (03/04/20)

Quick summation
: This is a post I started doing last year and had alot of fun with. It sucks that we opened the year with a loss to the fighting Jerry Falwells, but even though that was a traumatic lost to my excitement level, it is obviously not an elimination game. So we march on.

The way this posts usually works is that I break down our current resume, then I go in oppo-by-oppo for those that have a shot at moving up or down a quadrant, then I talk about our next opponent. Refer to the link above for a sample from last year.

NET Note: The NET rankings have not been released yet so I will be using KenPom's own rankings. I x'ed out the references to NET below because that all refers to the prior year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCC-MBB-Resume-Waren-Nolan.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**For teams that we play twice I will denote the road game with an "@" symbol
**Remember, NET has not been updated so I am using KenPom for the below Quadranr

For us:

Quadrant 1: (0-0)
Wins:
Losses:

Quadrant 2: (0-0)
Wins:
Losses:

Quadrant 3: (0-1)
Wins:
Losses: Liberty (KenPom #128)

Quadrant 4: (0-0)
Wins:
Losses:

**To start the season, I'll cover all of our teams, but as the year goes I am only going to highlight teams that have chance to move up or down in the bubble. Some teams are either destined for Quadrant 4 regardless of results at this point and some become sandwiched into one of the other quads with little hope of movement the later the season goes on.

**if a highlight is green -> I think he means they COULD move up, not that I think they will. Red -> COULD move down, not that I think they will. This may be a little confusing based on previous posts, but this is the best way to do it since so many results from previous opponents won't really matter going forward.

Notes on teams we've played:

**I have linked the school's name directly to the Instant Analysis by @Collyn Taylor - figured this would be nice to add

Liberty University (Last year's NET #69, Current year KenPom #128) - Listen, it isn't Stetson. So this isn't a loss that will linger over us in March. Don't let the "it's Liberty" distract you from the fact that they were 30-4 last year. Now, also, don't let "30 wins" distract you from the fact that none of those were against a good team. All were triple digits in NET rankings except possibly Akron. We should have won this game, there is no question about it. Liberty was playing their 3rd game in 4 days and somehow we looked more tired. Now we need to hope Liberty has another 30 win year. They were one of the 8 teams who had already punched their ticket to the tourney last year prior to COVID striking everything down, and even though they lost alot of players, they are still an experienced team with depth who should compete pretty hard for a conference title. Still, I'm saying it again, we should not have lost and we especially should not have looked like a squad with barely a pulse. We lacked coaching, we lacked leadership, and it was clear as day that we were unprepared to get smacked in the mouth. Anyways, in terms of Quads, they were a borderline Quad 1 team last year, they will start as a Quad 3 this year (based on KenPom), but I think they will end as a Quad 2 this year after conference play is done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**For teams that we play twice I will denote the road game with an "@" symbol

My Projection:

Quadrant 1: (0-0)
Wins:
Losses:

Quadrant 2: (0-1)
Wins:
Losses: Liberty

Quadrant 3: (0-0)
Wins:
Losses:

Quadrant 4: (0-0)
Wins:
Losses:

Next Opponent: Tulsa/TCU (WarrenNolan #) - Tulsa is predicted to finish in the middle of the pack in the American conference which, if true, likely means this would end up being a Quad 2 game by the end of the season, though I wouldn't rule out Quad 3 depending on how the American plays as a whole. For them to become Quad 1, they'd likely need to win the American which would just be extreely unlikely given Houston, Memphis, and Cincy. They went 21-10 last year (13-5 in conference) so they are obviously not a bad team. They have some returning talent, but it doesn't change the fact that this is a game the Cocks should win. Considering that we have an extremely talented Houston team next on the schedule, I would consider this a "much need to win" game to avoid a likely 0-3 start to the season and an incredible uphill battle.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News