ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina vs Florida

AsheGamecock

Mar 12, 2009
From Lancaster, SC
Ok, guys and gals. Lets open up a discussion on this game tomorrow. This will obviously be our toughest competition thus far in the tournament. Two familiar foes, what do you guys think the key to victory will be, other than Sin of course :D.

Just curious what you guys think.

I believe the key could be rebounding and foul shooting. On the season UF had 403 OR and 900 DR.
Gamecocks had 440 OR and 834 DR.

So, we need to get second chance points and out rebound UF on defense.

Best team we have played is far in the ncaa's. Going to be a tough one.

i thought florida was a final four team from the start of the tournament and possibly the eventual winner.....if we play like we did the first 3 games, we will be in it until the end......the keys for me are silva and felder......silva has got to stay out of foul trouble and so far hes done ok, plus some offensive production from silva and he has done a great job in that respect so far....felder we need offensive production as well and again so far, pretty good......defensively, im not too worried at this point, the defense has played lights out.....the defense, as we all know leads to our offense....if we get bogged down in a halfcourt game with florida, were gonna have a hard time and i think florida is gonna try and do that....we need to push it and be aggressive, thats my 2 cents

They have played and beat the best pre final four team in duke.It is beyond me why so many people have such lil confidence in this team.Florida is not some amazing unbeatable team that warrants fear and worry.To be honest,Kansas appears to be the most difficult to beat team right now and i assure you,they are capable of losing also.Seems like people are trying to find some reason for carolina to lose.As far as what it takes for them to win,same thing they have done last 3 games.Seems simple as that to me and no reason to pop a vein trying to do coach Martins job.Just enjoy the ride and have fun

I think there are a few reasons Florida feels like a tougher opponent at this time:
1. They have a fantastic defense too. Our defense created opportunities against the teams we have already beaten that may be a little more evenly matched against Florida's defense.
2. They clobbered us at the last meeting - although it was at their place in the middle of our tired-legs-swoon.

Those are technical reasons, but the real reasons Florida feels like a tougher opponent than the last three?
1. Duke and Baylor are in the rear view mirror.
2. The stakes are WAY HIGHER now, so of course it feels tougher at this point.

Reactions: myrtlecock
It's simple....
If we keep the mojo going on both ends , and continue to rebound and push the ball, then we will win this game.
Right now, our guys are tough to beat

Reactions: SumterGamecockGuy
They have played and beat the best pre final four team in duke.It is beyond me why so many people have such lil confidence in this team.Florida is not some amazing unbeatable team that warrants fear and worry.To be honest,Kansas appears to be the most difficult to beat team right now and i assure you,they are capable of losing also.Seems like people are trying to find some reason for carolina to lose.As far as what it takes for them to win,same thing they have done last 3 games.Seems simple as that to me and no reason to pop a vein trying to do coach Martins job.Just enjoy the ride and have fun

Who is showing little confidence in this thread?

It's really quite simple.
We are peaking at the right time.
Our defense is suffocating people.
And we're scoring more.
We will beat Florida & head on to the Final 4 with one mission: Shock the world.
That's what you need to know.
Sleep good, everybody.
And Go Cocks!

Ok, guys and gals. Lets open up a discussion on this game tomorrow. This will obviously be our toughest competition thus far in the tournament. Two familiar foes, what do you guys think the key to victory will be, other than Sin of course :D.

Just curious what you guys think.

Tougher than Duke or Baylor? They were both ranked number 1 at some point in the season.

I guess people don't remember the first 2 games. Its simple. If Florida shoots the 3 like in Columbia 0-15 or makes 9 of them like at Florida will be the difference.

Reactions: rdgtr
Florida is a much tougher match up than Wisconsin would have been. They will be able to penetrate to the middle, possibly getting bigs in foul trouble. We had better be shooting lights out from three-land, and rebound like we have so far to win this game.

I think there are a few reasons Florida feels like a tougher opponent at this time:
1. They have a fantastic defense too. Our defense created opportunities against the teams we have already beaten that may be a little more evenly matched against Florida's defense.
2. They clobbered us at the last meeting - although it was at their place in the middle of our tired-legs-swoon.

Those are technical reasons, but the real reasons Florida feels like a tougher opponent than the last three?
1. Duke and Baylor are in the rear view mirror.
2. The stakes are WAY HIGHER now, so of course it feels tougher at this point.
People blaming the loss on the mid season "tired leg swoon" ? Lol

Tougher than Duke or Baylor? They were both ranked number 1 at some point in the season.

Jesus, you guys are way too sensitive. The OP wasn't some diss on our team. The farther you advance in this tourney, the harder it becomes. Was just trying to start a conversation about the game.

Oh and btw, I think we are a Final Four team

Last edited:
Reactions: funktavious
UF is used to our D. We lose that element of panic that hits team playing it for the first time. This is why I preferred to play Wisky. We can win but we will have to it on the O end as well as D. I think the game comes down to FTs.

Yes, tougher than Duke and Baylor. What the OP is trying to say is that Florida is almost as strong as a defensive team as we are and (oh by the way) they are very familiar with us having played us twice already. We've been able to rattle all 3 opponents so far with our defensive pressure. This, as Frank says, gives us our edge. You just can't simulate in practice. The gators won't be rattled though because of the familiarity that I mentioned previously. They've been a final four team all season and have shown a lot of resiliency having overcome the loss of their starting center late in the regular season to get to this point. Another thing . . . regardless of who you play at this stage, its going to be difficult because the Final Four is at stake. These guys are human beings after all.

My personal take on the game: Our defense will always show up but we're going need one of our best "offensive" performances of the season to win. Thankfully, this team's confidence on that side of the floor is at an all-time high right now. I agree with USAGUY40 above who stated that Silva and Felder will be the x-factors. We need Chris to stay on the floor (and out of foul trouble) to keep Florida honest defensively so they can't cheat on the perimeter and Felder's confidence and scoring off of the bench seems to always ignite our offense. This will be a test of wills to the extreme; something that the OP clearly understands.

Long time Florida fan here. I think that our team may be a little gassed in the OT win over Wisconsin & the game ending at about 1:30 AM. But you never know if heart and ability can still carry you further. Chiozza's game winning shot was a miracle but Florida should have won it in regulation. I feel about 50-50 on this game's winner.

I also wanted to say Congratulations to South Carolina & Coach Martin for just getting to this point. I think both Florida & South Carolina had to really fight just to get to the SW16/Elite8. Both SEC teams ought to be commended. Impressive wins over both Duke, Baylor and in your first game. The gamecock's offense seems to be playing at a much higher level than the regular season and your team has the look of that team of destiny. Of course, USC's defense has been stifling and those teams you defeated probably didn't know what hit them, lol. All of us SEC fans have enjoyed watching your team progress in the NCAA tournament.

It's very rare & SPECIAL to see two SEC teams playing for the right to go to the Final4. The last time that two SEC teams played in the Elite8 was in 1986 (LSU vs Auburn). I was 18-19 at the time and going to college at UF when I saw that game - LSU won.

Whoever wins this game will have a coach that will have his team in the Final4 for the first time. Mike White for Florida and Martin for USC. Even though Florida went to numerous E8's/FF4's in recent years, it will still feel new to us because we have a new coach doing it again now. If South Carolina wins, they will be the 7th SEC team to go to the Final4. Whatever happens today, I think that both South Carolina and Florida are poised to have solid, competitive teams for many years to come in the SEC and the NCAAs!

Good luck to both of our teams!

Tough matchup, I wanted fresh meat Wisconsin for sure, saw one show where all 3 hosts picked us to win today, that is usually the sure sign of death, Florida is familiar with us, and we need turnovers for some easy buckets offensively, im sure they will try and avoid turnovers, rooting for us, but not overconfident by any means, should be heck of a game.

I think we blow the gators out. We are playing at high level and exceeding expectations. Play lose, Silvia stay out of early foul trouble, and Dozier or Notice has to play big!

For my money, Florida lost everything but the final score against Wisconsin. A desperation 3 point shot as time expired is the only reason Florida is there. Meanwhile Carolina seems to just get stronger as the tourney goes on. They beat Duke by 8, then Baylor by twenty. Florida should be flat today. Carolina by 14.

For my money, Florida lost everything but the final score against Wisconsin. A desperation 3 point shot as time expired is the only reason Florida is there. Meanwhile Carolina seems to just get stronger as the tourney goes on. They beat Duke by 8, then Baylor by twenty. Florida should be flat today. Carolina by 14.

I totally want to be there with you....
I hope you are right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT