ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams

wallycock

Oct 11, 2001
How "special" were our special teams this season? I have to admit, I almost was glad when other teams scored because I knew I might get to see Deebo return one.

What was great ... good ... bad ...What did we improve on over last season ... what must improve to be successful next season?

How "special" were our special teams this season? I have to admit, I almost was glad when other teams scored because I knew I might get to see Deebo return one.

What was great ... good ... bad ...What did we improve on over last season ... what must improve to be successful next season?
Deebo great. Punt returns bad. Punting great. Field goal kicking horrendous. We need to use that 10th coaching position to get a special teams coach. Hutzler is a good linebackers coach but his special teams stink.

Deebo great. Punt returns bad. Punting great. Field goal kicking horrendous. We need to use that 10th coaching position to get a special teams coach. Hutzler is a good linebackers coach but his special teams stink.

Really wanted to see what Jamyest could do with punt returns, but they never put him back there. No idea why, Fenton didn't really make a lot of plays there, and didn't exactly fill me with confidence on his judgement.

Field goal kicking was not Horrendous. I'm sure it felt that way to some.
Parker White was 90% inside 40. Granted he was 30% 40-49, & 0/2 from over 50, but some of those were let's just take a gamble & see what happens. I wouldn't consider 90% inside 40 isn't horrendous.
He was 24/24 on PAT.

Reactions: viennacocks
I think we're missing what was one of the bigger improvements of the season which was our kick coverage units. We were much better this season than last. Muschamp brought that up specifically at the end of the year. It does help that Parker boots most of them through the end zone yet we didn't give up nearly the return yardage we did last year. More than anything it shows that the overall team speed is improving.

Field goal kicking was not Horrendous. I'm sure it felt that way to some.
Parker White was 90% inside 40. Granted he was 30% 40-49, & 0/2 from over 50, but some of those were let's just take a gamble & see what happens. I wouldn't consider 90% inside 40 isn't horrendous.
He was 24/24 on PAT.
Woznik was 1-3 and White was 12-22. White showed signs of life at the end of the seasons. But man, the beginning of the year was a train wreck. I think the kid missed his first four. Up until he made the kick to end the game against La Tech, the team started the season 1 for 7. How does that happen?

Reactions: adversary2
Punt and kicking coverage was very good. In addition, very few kicks were returned. Field goal kicking was good inside the 40, bad outside.

I think overall our special teams were good. Need some work on punt returns.

Punt coverage was terrible. An example is not downing the first two punts against Clemson inside their 5 yard line. None of our cover team had any idea where the ball was.

Woznik was 1-3 and White was 12-22. White showed signs of life at the end of the seasons. But man, the beginning of the year was a train wreck. I think the kid missed his first four. Up until he made the kick to end the game against La Tech, the team started the season 1 for 7. How does that happen?

It happened because early on we attempted multiple field goals over 40 & 50 yds. We had trouble with snaps & holds early, as previously noted. Once he had a chance inside the 40, he began to nail them. First year kicker, problems with snap & holds, & most of his early attempts outside of 40... made people feel like our kicking game sucked. I thought the same thing, until I began looking at the numbers.

Think of it this way: (pure spec) if you knew next year Parker White would be 100% on FG's inside 35 yds,
90% or greater on FG's 45 yds & less,
& 67% on field goals 46-54 yds, how many field goals would you attempt?
If he could hit 2/3 of attempts over 45 yds, would you consider that good or bad?

Reactions: Carolina2017
Anybody remember last year when we couldn’t field a punt to save our lives. Hurst was returning punts just for sure hands a few times. So that was hugely improved. We didn’t return well, but at least we secured it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT