ADVERTISEMENT

Sporting events that should be moved to different time of the year?

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
I got the Ryder cup on and I think this event should be moved. By tomorrow everybody will be watching football. I think it should be moved to april or May? Agree ?

I got the Ryder cup on and I think this event should be moved. By tomorrow everybody will be watching football. I think it should be moved to april or May? Agree ?
No. It's this time of year because it doesn't interfere with the regular tour schedule.

And let's be real...many of us have multiple TVs in our house that we can put one of them on the Ryder Cup. If this were an away game tomorrow, I'd have football on the big TV and the Ryder Cup on the smaller one, both in the living room.

I'm taking my tablet out with me tomorrow so I can stream TRC while tailgating.

If you want to watch both badly enough, you find a way.

No. It's this time of year because it doesn't interfere with the regular tour schedule.

And let's be real...many of us have multiple TVs in our house that we can put one of them on the Ryder Cup. If this were an away game tomorrow, I'd have football on the big TV and the Ryder Cup on the smaller one, both in the living room.

I'm taking my tablet out with me tomorrow so I can stream TRC while tailgating.

If you want to watch both badly enough, you find a way.
Funny reading this when I did. Just finished installing led lights on the back of two of my remaining tvs in the mancave. By just finished, I mean minutes ago. Now I'll have three tv that can glow green instead of one when I have football and TRC on tomorrow. It was TRC that inspired me to get it done.

High school men's golf and tennis should be fall sports. At minimum they should split between the spring and fall.

Last edited:
The men's and women's NCAA Tournaments should have a week in between.

IDK.
I've enjoyed being on HHI in May the last 2 AAAA Boys' State Golf Championships.
If your son played baseball and/or tennis, you may feel differently. Boys can only play one of the three sports (baseball, golf and tennis) in high school when many play two of the three or all 3. My son plays all 3 but will never get the opportunity to play golf or tennis in high school w/o giving up baseball.

Football is king for sure.

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
World Series. Almost November before ending.
The result in going from 154 games to 162, plus two rounds of playoffs before the World Series. Used to be that all WS games were played in the daytime and the Series was over by early October.

Also, there was no interleague play during the season, which gave rise to more mystique in the Series. My opinion, all of that made baseball better.

NBA playoffs ending around Father's Day is almost as absurd as when baseball ends now.

IDK.
I've enjoyed being on HHI in May the last 2 AAAA Boys' State Golf Championships.
Since school gets out in S.C. earlier than it used to, and spring sports start sooner, much of the early-season weather the young people have to play in is simply terrible - inappropriate for those sports: lots of cold and rain, plus in golf, poor course conditions more of the season when Bermuda is dormant. Conditions are just getting good as the upper and lower state championships are being played, if weather patterns are favorable.

Reactions: viennacocks
I do not like the change in the rotation of the majors.
From the time that my kids were toddlers, I taught them...

Masters
U.S. Open
PGA
British Open

I don't like the new line up with The PGA being played so early.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21

Masters
U.S. Open
PGA
British Open

Couple of things: the South is always going to be awarded more PGAs than US Opens. The USGA loves the old-line clubs in the East and is moving away from places like Chambers bay (a disaster) and Erin Hills. The USGA also loves to stage Opens on the West Coast (Pebble Beach, Torrey Pines) in order to play during prime time in the East and Midwest. In the South, only Pinehurst is in the Open rotation. So, at least most of the majors the South gets won't be played in the boiling heat. Also, the FedEx playoffs have changed the dynamics of the season, especially given the need not to compete on television with football. I myself love tradition, but the new season is a necessary accommodation to current realities.

Masters
U.S. Open
PGA
British Open

PGA was always played after The Open.

What about the guys that play football? My best friend in Hs was a great OL man. And a really good tennis player.
Football players can play baseball, tennis or golf. Baseball players can only play football. As mentioned, football rules. If one of your sports is not football, you are pretty much screwed when it comes to a fall sports.

Where I grew up, golf was a fall sport.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Football players can play baseball, tennis or golf. Baseball players can only play football. As mentioned, football rules. If one of your sports is not football, you are pretty much screwed when it comes to a fall sports.

Where I grew up, golf was a fall sport.
But not if they move some of the sports like the guy I was replying to mentioned.

This has been long overdue. College baseball teams in the North and Midwest would then have a fighting chance to compete.
Not sure how often you go north...but Feb and March isn't much different. As seasons get longer and longer....and the 12 months are the same...there will be issues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT