ADVERTISEMENT

Spring ball makes no sense. Two big reasons, among many others:

legalsizecock

Gold Member
Aug 1, 2000
1. If waving the safety flag, how do you justify college players playing in the spring, and then having to play a whole extra season scant months later? How is that more safe for players?

2. What about the NFL draft? You'd have to move it to summer at best. So, finish spring season, draft, sign and report, all within 1-2 months.

If I am Justin Fields, no way I am playing spring ball - wait until draft, as he's a consensus first rounder anyway.

1. If waving the safety flag, how do you justify college players playing in the spring, and then having to play a whole extra season scant months later? How is that more safe for players?

2. What about the NFL draft? You'd have to move it to summer at best. So, finish spring season, draft, sign and report, all within 1-2 months.

If I am Justin Fields, no way I am playing spring ball - wait until draft, as he's a consensus first rounder anyway.

not to mention they won’t be any oysters at the tailgates:-(

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer

It's the only way to avoid a cluster, imperfect as it may be.

Agree - everything else has been rescheduled a year later, may as well just do it. Spring football makes no sense - basketball still going, baseball and other spring sports going. It is what it is.

TV revenue is the big reason. As long as they field games in the Fall they get paid on existing deals based on past seasons viewership. Change to spring and the revenue drops 2/3rds or more, as it is all renegotiated.

Last edited:
The whole “let’s play in the Spring” is a load of bull. That’s the conferences way of 1) further strengthening their hold on any team that is even considering pursuing playing on their own in the Fall and 2) trying to calm fears of current players and recruits that might consider transferring or decommitting

Reactions: Jbouton2
The mention of spring ball is just a way to attempt to save face and avoid a greater firestorm in the moment. There would be too much to work out by way of TV, and not enough time to pull that goat rodeo together. Also, judging from my observance of college kids back on campus the last few days here in Cola, this is all a moot point. There's not one iota of social distancing/precaution being taken among the young people and COVID is going to shoot through these schools like a wildfire. Frankly, there's a part of me that thinks the current generation of "me only" young people might need a little lesson on the impacts of not doing the right thing even when there might not be instant gratification in doing so personally.

The whole “let’s play in the Spring” is a load of bull. That’s the conferences way of 1) further strengthening their hold on any team that is even considering pursuing playing on their own in the Fall and 2) trying to calm fears of current players and recruits that might consider transferring or decommitting

Yep. Nobody believes there will be a spring season. It's merely a stall. Absolutely no way you can do 2 seasons within four months of each other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT