ADVERTISEMENT

Spring sports optimism

FCB 2013 treble

Dec 14, 2016
I like Coach Kingston certitude that South Carolina will have a good to great season. I do believe South Carolina's pitching will be strong, but the unknown is the power of the offense due to loss of personnel from previous season.

Coach Beverly Smith's believes she has the right pieces in place to turn around South Carolina's last two dismal seasons.

I like Coach Kingston certitude that South Carolina will have a good to great season. I do believe South Carolina's pitching will be strong, but the unknown is the power of the offense due to loss of personnel from previous season.

Coach Beverly Smith's believes she has the right pieces in place to turn around South Carolina's last two dismal seasons.
I’m holding my breath on Kingston. Last year was like this years mens basketball team…unwatchable.

I hope you’re right though. It’s time to produce. No reason for baseball to be this bad.

If she doesn't, it's time to go, but before a new hire, Tanner has to go

When you break all of it down-to basics, it’s not pitching, defense or hitting……..it’s the halter tops😜

• Haha
Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
I'm primarily optimistic because we have added to the coaching staff. I think we'll have to wait until we are a month or so in to see if it paid off. I hope it does. I dont know what the players do with their swings in the offseason but whatever it is, it works. Every year they look good to start out. It's four to six weeks into the season when we see if the improvements they made to their swings prior to getting started have all but disappeared or have been maintained. We can not continue to see them regress. We should be developing MLB type hitters and haven't done that far too long.
I'm always optimistic to start the year tho. I just hope it lasts

Last edited:
Adding Monte Lee definitely boosted my optimism. And it looks like we've got some players if they can stay healthy.

Adding Monte Lee definitely boosted my optimism. And it looks like we've got some players if they can stay healthy.
Now that we have Monte Lee, we have a dilemma.

I personally would rather have him as head coach. At least he has ties here. Kingston is boring and dry as dust.

I personally would rather have him as head coach. At least he has ties here. Kingston is boring and dry as dust.
What Kingston has shown is he has no business having his hands on the offense. Not in practice, not on gameday. He should stick to making a lineup and maybe deciding who's pitching when. I have no doubt we'll do better than making the playoffs in that scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbouton2

If nothing else it should make the clemson games interesting.

I think Coach Kingston might be teasing the fans with the quote "until you're in Omaha you know you're you want everything to improve."

Laughing at Coach Kingston telling a reporter "that's impressive by the way the way you're typing and still looking at me."

I just want to remind you that last year we had a bunch of injuries to pitching staff and we had to put some pitchers in there that just werent ready. That has nothing to do with coaching. That being said, im pretty confident we go on to have a great seaon. Enjoy the ride.

I just want to remind you that last year we had a bunch of injuries to pitching staff and we had to put some pitchers in there that just werent ready. That has nothing to do with coaching. That being said, im pretty confident we go on to have a great seaon. Enjoy the ride.
I hope you're right.

I don’t debate the pitching injuries as a lot of that unfolded right in front of us. The problem was the offense and fielding were equally bad without the impact of injuries.

I’m sure some of that was the pressure of feeling like they couldn’t make a mistake, but we were bad in just about every phase of the game last season. We couldn’t move runners over and manufacture runs even when it was apparent the long ball strategy wouldn’t work.

An overall losing season and a trip to Hoover to get a hamburger is unacceptable. It’s time to produce.

Reactions: bucketdad
I don’t debate the pitching injuries as a lot of that unfolded right in front of us. The problem was the offense and fielding were equally bad without the impact of injuries.

I’m sure some of that was the pressure of feeling like they couldn’t make a mistake, but we were bad in just about every phase of the game last season. We couldn’t move runners over and manufacture runs even when it was apparent the long ball strategy wouldn’t work.

An overall losing season and a trip to Hoover to get a hamburger is unacceptable. It’s time to produce.
I'm a bit concerned Kingston will double down on his offensive philosophy given he is supposed to have good pitching. Of course that's fine if it works. The question is how much will good pitching help a team if they are near the bottom of the conference stat wise on offense. I was hoping for a new direction on offense and I want good pitching like everyone... I just hope pitching doesnt get in the way.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I'm a bit concerned Kingston will double down on his offensive philosophy given he is supposed to have good pitching. Of course that's fine if it works. The question is how much will good pitching help a team if they are near the bottom of the conference stat wise on offense. I was hoping for a new direction on offense and I want good pitching like everyone... I just hope pitching doesnt get in the way.
Coach Kingston has stated he is very happy and thinks the left sided hitters that was added to the roster will improve the offense. He also said that lineup will change from time to time so you will not get the same hitters every game which could impact the consistency of the offense.

With an early wimpish out of conference schedule that South Carolina has, they will be able to get a feel on much of the team on who they can depend on during conference play.

Coach Kingston has stated he is very happy and thinks the left sided hitters that was added to the roster will improve the offense. He also said that lineup will change from time to time so you will not get the same hitters every game which could impact the consistency of the offense.

With an early wimpish out of conference schedule that South Carolina has, they will be able to get a feel on much of the team on who they can depend on during conference play.
Hard pressed to call that encouraging but glad to hear him say it. With better hitting and pitching there should be no excuses if he manages the team well.

He does strike me as the kind of coach that would lean heavy on the portal to improve the team... so I hope that works out for him.
Seems most of his lineup changes are more about guys moving down than they are guys moving up tho. Hopefully that changes. I am looking forward to seeing these guys hit.

Last edited:

Both programs suck

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT