ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier and Co. Need to Go

Gamecawks

Sep 17, 2012
Not really sure what else to say. The team is a straight up dumpster fire. We have NO receivers outside of Cooper, our QBs are terrible and they can't determine that Mitch isn't remotely an SEC caliber starter, our defense was softer than Charmin in the first half, and the play calling is still a problem.

Couple the awful coaching with the completely lackadaisical recruiting and you find a team that probably won't crack the top 25 this year. We'd be lucky to get bowl eligible.

Reactions: Dackel
Our program will continue when Spurrier retires, and we need to make that move sooner than later.
Agree. I revised my pre-season prediction of 5 wins down to 4. We're now back to pre-Spurrier days. The roster looks like Holtz's final year.

I do think it's becoming time for Spurrier to ride off into the sunset of retirement. In my opinion, I don't necessarily think Spurrier was ever the long term answer for SC. What I do think the Spurrier hire was intended to do is give prestige to SC and show that it's taking football seriously. It was also to drastically elevate the program and put it in a position for the next guy, THE GUY, to hit a home run. I think Spurrier did that. I think the next hire should and will end up being the most important hire in the history of SC's football program. While I know you don't realize it right now, SC is perfectly primed and ready to go for that next home run hire. They just have to make it.

Also, whoever said Mike Leach, just no....

We went from the pinnacle of success to a floundering mess. The baseball and football programs failed to capitalize on their success. The men's basketball team and the soccer team are not rebounding. The Equestrian team and women's basketball team are successful but that had better not be the face of your athletic program. Is it bad hires....not paying attention.....not making good sound choices ? The outside looks of the program are great (Stadium renovation, baseball stadium, new indoor practice facility) and that should translate on the field with our recent success. Who's fault is it ? It falls at Tanner's feet whether he likes it or not. I am not bashing him but this can't continue....or he can't....one or the other.....my rant is done.

Reactions: gamecock ed
Kirby Smart would be a great choice. Ray Tanner makes the big bucks to find a young passionate guy that gives a damn or two about recruiting

Reactions: bmhood1984
Just hope we don't go after Mack Brown when that time comes.
Hilarious!! I read that SS wanted to retire last year but Tanner talked him out of it=shades of Lou and McGee. I would hope USC could get Baylor's or TCU's coach. Offer them enough money and anyone can be had even Saban or Urban.

who would you suggest as a reasonable replacement OP? it's not like there's a lot of great coaches waiting to take over this shit show
USC is a good job. Tanner could get a coach outside of the current staff to take this job.

I have posted it many times before, recruiting is the lifeblood of college football! Our staff is not good at recruiting good players.

Reactions: S.C. LionsFan
i agree with the OP, time for spurrier to go...he has done great things for this university, but its time for him to play golf everyday and enjoy life....i feel like hes lost his passion for the game.....i dont see tanner firing him....i think spurrier is here until he decides to leave, but its definitely time

Reactions: gamecock ed
Don't you think Spurrier still has the competitive fire? We are only two seasons removed from being in serious contention for the SEC east. Hopefully the realization is setting in that he needs to demand more time of himself and the staff both game planning and in recruiting. I see Spurrier making another championship run but having to work harder than ever for it. At some point I hope he gets fed up and says enough, let's become the hardest working staff in the SEC. If Spurrier did that, we would win the SEC!

Last edited:
Reactions: swampfox33
Being in serious contention for the East isn't good enough anymore. Not when Mizzou comes in and goes to the SECCG back to back in their second and third years. You need to raise the bar for this program because dwelling on the past is getting old.

Spurrier is fine where he is. We need an OC and good recruiters. Stat!
This is probably the closest to the truth on this thread. There needs to be some serious staff changes. The problem is that it's hard to find the right people with a 70 yo HC.

I am not suggesting dwelling on the past. I am hopeful that Spurrier gets tired of Mediocrity and gains the fire to get to a championship level. Spurrier has done it before and I believe he still has the ability. I don't think Spurrier will stick around for multiple losing seasons. He is too proud to just ride the gravy train. He'll either do what he has to do to get to the top or realize he doesn't want to put in the work anymore and will step aside. I think Spurrier will want to go out on top and is capable just not putting in enough effort (because he never had to in the past) which is a fixable problem.

Having JR as our recruiting coordinator and wr coach has been a huge problem. He is in way over his head. The guys that have been successful under him simply had that kind of talent. So many 4 stars have fallen to the waste side and we never seem to have a good core group, just a superstar here and there. Recruiting is pitiful. After 3 11 win seasons, we should have been pulling in top players. We had a huge edge over Clemson and now it has evaporated. It makes me sick. No more father and son combinations. It does not work! It only hurts the team.

Reactions: BD007
This is probably the closest to the truth on this thread. There needs to be some serious staff changes. The problem is that it's hard to find the right people with a 70 yo HC.
You would think it would be attractive knowing Spurriers days are numbered career wise due to the fact he is 70.

Don't you think Spurrier still has the competitive fire? We are only two seasons removed from being in serious contention for the SEC east. Hopefully the realization is setting in that he needs to demand more time of himself and the staff both game planning and in recruiting. I see Spurrier making another championship run but having to work harder than ever for it. At some point I hope he gets fed up and says enough, let's become the hardest working staff in the SEC. If Spurrier did that, we would win the SEC!
Why would it take this type of problem to motivate him to work harder? If that were true he should walk away tonight. I sincerely believe this is his last season. Welcome Head Coach Kirby Smart and OC GA Mangus.

I've been saying we need an OC and a recruiting coordinator for a couple of years now, but I was told I'm an idiot.

Reactions: Cavgator
Love Spurrier but his time is over. He's like Paterno, Holtz and Bowden, stayed too long. Need an OC and recruiting coordinator but Spurrier will never allow that. His pride couldn't stand that. And as far as playing a freshman at QB, that will never happen with him either. Might as well play Nunez at QB and let the chips fall where they fall. Can't be any worse.

Honest question, If I'm a highly ranked recruit iving in North Carolina or Tennessee what draws me to USC other than immediate playing time
I'll be honest with you I don't think there's any reason to pick us over either of those if I'm an offensive player. You can't win today in college without a really good quarterback. I've been critical of having to resort to Org (not his play, but he wasn't recruited) but he looked really good last night in my opinion.

We are just so void of playmakers that is not funny. And on top of that the other offences that we recruit against are much more fun for these guys to play in.

Spider teachers pro mechanics, and they learn none of that in high school, that's why they are so far behind and it takes years for him to develop.

I think some of the negative posters "Need To Go." Some of you are a bunch of whining little girls and the program doesn't need your fair weather knee jerk loyalty. Love the program or leave it. Support it win or lose. But for the love of God, please stop saying this and that has to go after one loss. Everybody was disappointed in the end result last night. But that's the nature of college sports. But if you truly really are loyal Gamecock fans, think it's okay to be disappointed, frustrated, unhappy...but keep it to yourself...buy a notebook and journal about it privately. But there is no way that coming on a public forum and blasting coaches and players helps the program. Never has. Never will.

I think some of the negative posters "Need To Go." Some of you are a bunch of whining little girls and the program doesn't need your fair weather knee jerk loyalty. Love the program or leave it. Support it win or lose. But for the love of God, please stop saying this and that has to go after one loss. Everybody was disappointed in the end result last night. But that's the nature of college sports. But if you truly really are loyal Gamecock fans, think it's okay to be disappointed, frustrated, unhappy...but keep it to yourself...buy a notebook and journal about it privately. But there is no way that coming on a public forum and blasting coaches and players helps the program. Never has. Never will.
I didn't blast anyone. I wish Spurrier would become more of a CEO type head coach. Surround yourself with quality position coaches( who can recruit ) and a name OC. If he would delegate and then coach the team as a whole, I think we would be very competitive year in and year out. The man is a winner.

I didn't blast anyone. I wish Spurrier would become more of a CEO type head coach. Surround yourself with quality position coaches( who can recruit ) and a name OC. If he would delegate and then coach the team as a whole, I think we would be very competitive year in and year out. The man is a winner.
Great post, I agree.

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
Not really sure what else to say. The team is a straight up dumpster fire. We have NO receivers outside of Cooper, our QBs are terrible and they can't determine that Mitch isn't remotely an SEC caliber starter, our defense was softer than Charmin in the first half, and the play calling is still a problem.

Couple the awful coaching with the completely lackadaisical recruiting and you find a team that probably won't crack the top 25 this year. We'd be lucky to get bowl eligible.

let me guess, must be necks night out?

Reactions: NetworkX
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT