ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier and Co. Need to Go

Rich Rod would love to come to SC and whip Clemsons ass and in the process make us relevant again.

Last edited:
Hilarious!! I read that SS wanted to retire last year but Tanner talked him out of it=shades of Lou and McGee. I would hope USC could get Baylor's or TCU's coach. Offer them enough money and anyone can be had even Saban or Urban.

Warning: Reading taternet or TI can be hazardous to your health. In some cases it can cause sever bouts of senseless ramblings toward your college rival, swelling of the tongue, moles near the eyebrow area, an orange tint to your skin, gout in the jawl area, uncontrollable head-bobbling, problems holding on to or dropping objects and in women fear of towel rods or stairs. ED has happened as well as death.

Should you experience any of these symptoms log off, close your pc or other device, destroy them with a hammer...preferably a 3 pound sledge hammer or bigger, turn in your Gamecock fan card, buy 7 pair of orange coveralls, 2 sheep, a corn-cob pipe and seek help in a case of PBR and 2 bottles of Boone's Farm Strawberry wine.

Not really sure what else to say. The team is a straight up dumpster fire. We have NO receivers outside of Cooper, our QBs are terrible and they can't determine that Mitch isn't remotely an SEC caliber starter, our defense was softer than Charmin in the first half, and the play calling is still a problem.

Couple the awful coaching with the completely lackadaisical recruiting and you find a team that probably won't crack the top 25 this year. We'd be lucky to get bowl eligible.

Let me guess...you wanted to fire Ray Tanner in 2009 too, huh?

How did that work out???

Reactions: NetworkX
Don't want Charlie. Good guy, coach, but not a good hire!

I like Hoke.
I'm not a big fan of the HCIW deal but I really hate the thought of Spurrier leaving and us hiring another outside coach that's going to bring in an entirely new staff right away...especially someone from a different area of the country (not that I think Tanner is dumb enough to do that. I think when the time comes Tanner will make a homerun hire). But we do have some continuity in recruiting and I wouldn't want to see an entirely new staff come in and have to start from scratch building relationships with hs coaches in the ares that we recruit. So the HCIW deal might be the best path for us...at least until the new coach can get up to speed. And hopefully Spurrier would want to stay on at some capacity in the AD to help maintain relationships in recruiting in areas we recruit in Fla, Ga, NC, etc.
And I think Hoke's a sharp minded coach that could do well in college football. If he could retain Mangus (maybe even give him a shot at OC), Elliott, Jr (yes Jr...who's not as bad as some here think) and Lattimore*** as RB coach, and Whammy (yes Whammy...same as Jr and who would help recruiting continuity), Botkin...and I don't really care if he replaced anyone else...then I don't think we'd see much of a drop off and maybe even an improvement in recruiting.

I can't really believe I even typed this. This is the first time I've ever speculated about replacing Spurrier. But I stand by it, and I think it could work out and be a successful transition with positive results.

Then again we'd have fans wanting to fire Hoke after his 1st 9-3 season because...well, because Spurrier told us to demand better...right?

I think some of the negative posters "Need To Go." Some of you are a bunch of whining little girls and the program doesn't need your fair weather knee jerk loyalty. Love the program or leave it. Support it win or lose. But for the love of God, please stop saying this and that has to go after one loss. Everybody was disappointed in the end result last night. But that's the nature of college sports. But if you truly really are loyal Gamecock fans, think it's okay to be disappointed, frustrated, unhappy...but keep it to yourself...buy a notebook and journal about it privately. But there is no way that coming on a public forum and blasting coaches and players helps the program. Never has. Never will.

I love the University of South Carolina, not Steve Spurrier. I'm really thankful for the great seasons he's given us, but we were bad last season and we lost to freakin' Kentucky for the second year in a row. I'm not seeing the playmakers being recruited like a DJ, Lattimore, Ace Sanders and the like. We've got Coop and a bunch of complete unknowns at the receiver position, a QB who looked 100% OVERWHELMED in the spotlight (btw, how did the coaches NOT realize he isn't quality?), and a defense that takes a half-too-long to make adjustments.

Granted this team may actually be easier to watch than last year, but if we're in for another mediocre season, why not just let Spurrier go? He's not getting any younger. The "negative recruiting" against us with regards to his age isn't going away, ever. We need to make a change while we still have some goodwill left from those 11 win seasons before it's too late. We have the resources and facilities to attract a good coach. South Carolina is a school you CAN win at.

Reactions: tailgatecock
I love the University of South Carolina, not Steve Spurrier. I'm really thankful for the great seasons he's given us, but we were bad last season and we lost to freakin' Kentucky for the second year in a row. I'm not seeing the playmakers being recruited like a DJ, Lattimore, Ace Sanders and the like. We've got Coop and a bunch of complete unknowns at the receiver position, a QB who looked 100% OVERWHELMED in the spotlight (btw, how did the coaches NOT realize he isn't quality?), and a defense that takes a half-too-long to make adjustments.

Granted this team may actually be easier to watch than last year, but if we're in for another mediocre season, why not just let Spurrier go? He's not getting any younger. The "negative recruiting" against us with regards to his age isn't going away, ever. We need to make a change while we still have some goodwill left from those 11 win seasons before it's too late. We have the resources and facilities to attract a good coach. South Carolina is a school you CAN win at.

The negative recruiting started the day he took the job.

"He can't win at USC"
"He'll leave after 4 seasons"
"He will never win more than 8-9 games and be gone in 5 years"

This isn't something new. Like I've been telling taters for over 8 years now, keep predicting this is the year and eventually you'll be right.

Along with "That smells like fear"!!!

The dominoes, as I see it (if you even care)
#1. Loss of Brad Lawing & Shane Beamer (though Beamer may not have been as critical, but BL was substantial)
#2. Continuing to give Steve Spurrier Jr. a job, much less putting him in charge of anything.
#3. After Connor Shaw was signed, every other QB signee has been a whiff SO FAR. Seems at least 1/3rd of QBs signed under Spurrier have transferred.
#4. Loss of Ellis Johnson
#5. A unusual rash of transfers, early departures for NFL and some recruiting mis-hits.
#6. More recently, the "2-3 years" comment

That's my honest opinion, not trying to take shots as a Clemson fan. I could be way off base.

The HBC did a great job here, but it's just not working anymore. The time has pretty much run out for him. He did a great job cleaning up the mess that was here before we got here, but I just don't see him being able to clean up a mess of his own making at this late stage of his career. I think it's about time give someone else a shot to right what it is that Spurrier has gotten wrong over the last few years. I don't think Spurrier is going to figure it out this time.

Warning: Reading taternet or TI can be hazardous to your health. In some cases it can cause sever bouts of senseless ramblings toward your college rival, swelling of the tongue, moles near the eyebrow area, an orange tint to your skin, gout in the jawl area, uncontrollable head-bobbling, problems holding on to or dropping objects and in women fear of towel rods or stairs. ED has happened as well as death.

Should you experience any of these symptoms log off, close your pc or other device, destroy them with a hammer...preferably a 3 pound sledge hammer or bigger, turn in your Gamecock fan card, buy 7 pair of orange coveralls, 2 sheep, a corn-cob pipe and seek help in a case of PBR and 2 bottles of Boone's Farm Strawberry wine.
IIRC, that was confirmed by several sources, including the publishers of this site.

The dominoes, as I see it (if you even care)
#1. Loss of Brad Lawing & Shane Beamer (though Beamer may not have been as critical, but BL was substantial)
#2. Continuing to give Steve Spurrier Jr. a job, much less putting him in charge of anything.
#3. After Connor Shaw was signed, every other QB signee has been a whiff SO FAR. Seems at least 1/3rd of QBs signed under Spurrier have transferred.
#4. Loss of Ellis Johnson
#5. A unusual rash of transfers, early departures for NFL and some recruiting mis-hits.
#6. More recently, the "2-3 years" comment

That's my honest opinion, not trying to take shots as a Clemson fan. I could be way off base.

That's a pretty fair assessment.
1-Beamer was a great recruiter and coordinator, and a tireless worker. Lawing had more ties to NC schools and we did very well there when he was here. Some thought that Adams would be able to keep us in on a lot of NC schools but it just hasn't happened.
2-I think Jr could do better. Either way our mis-fires in recruiting fall squarely on his shoulders because he holds the title on coordinator. If anything is going to change it's up to him to make it happen.
3-Spurrier hasn't recruited top rated QB's since he's been here. But then again he looks for QB's that fit his mold and QB's that he thinks can take working for him. BTW...it's not like CU hasn't had some mis-fires at the QB position under Da-Blo and before under Bowden...i.e. "Parker could play for half the teams in the NFL", Korn, Harper, the Chad even though he seems to be doing OK at Ole Miss, etc.
4-EJ was good, but not great. And he had a lot of talent to work with. His refusal to blitz and bring pressure and his bend but don't break, corners playing 10 yards off the ball and always out of position giving up 3rd and forevers aren't missed very much. If not for the talent...well, SOS wouldn't have fired him. If not for the offer at SM he'd still be here and some of our fans would be screaming to fire him.
5-Again, every team has players that don;t pan out and transfer. Maybe when you get time you could better define the "rash" terminological application.
6-I think that comment was made without forethought and in the moment. SOS has addressed it, and if he had any intentions on retiring any time soon I don't believe he would have attempted to address it. If you don't know his DNA by now he's not a man that says things to make people happy, or would make a public rebuttal such as this if he doesn't intend to stand by it. Then again, I'm not 70 years ols with more money in my account than I'll ever spend and if he does flip and decide to walk away...as out of character as it would be...it would only be the 1st time in his life, and I'm sure it would be the last.

And just for the record, it ain't so bad to have a tiger fan around that isn't here just to take cheap shots. Even with the opportunity wide open you posted a respectful post with no low blows. Gives me a little more faith in humanity and the people internet, hahaha.

The HBC did a great job here, but it's just not working anymore. The time has pretty much run out for him. He did a great job cleaning up the mess that was here before we got here, but I just don't see him being able to clean up a mess of his own making at this late stage of his career. I think it's about time give someone else a shot to right what it is that Spurrier has gotten wrong over the last few years. I don't think Spurrier is going to figure it out this time.

Um, did you want Tanner fired in 2009 also...like some others did?

Sounds like it.

Up until last year, we had won five straight over Clemson. We have beaten Georgia four times in the past five years. We have had three straight 11 win seasons prior to a year ago. Minus a total meltdown of our defense a year ago, we would have probably had another good year as the team put up big numbers on offense last season. As will all things, money is the grease that spins the wheel. I do not think the alumni at our university puts of the same kind of cash commitment that you see at such places as Alabama, LSU, and Auburn just to name a few. Young players go to these places, they see the palaces the players work in, live in, sleep in, and then play in on Saturdays, and it becomes an easier sell. And if I am not mistaken, these palaces are built in large part on alumni donations (ticket sales, boosters, etc). And I am not talking about those 5000-10000 dollar range donations either. Millionaires like those that basically financed the entire Oregon Ducks program. Does anyone even remember Oregon fielding a team back in the 70's and 80"s when I was a student at South Carolina? I don't...unless you count the Playboy magazine Girls of the Pac 10 issue in 1983. I remember thinking...even that would not get me to commit to the Ducks. : O! I never dreamed that I would see our team win five straight over Clemson or fight Georgia tooth n nail instead of the usual blowouts I watched on CBS. No doubt, it is tough being a Gamecock fan. And even if I were a millionaire, I would spend my cash on those students that excel in the classroom but otherwise lack the funds to become doctors, scientists, chemists, and all the other fields that would truly make a real difference in this world. You guys want consistent winners? Then empty those bank accounts, cash in those 401Ks, and donate everything you have or will ever have to match those that do.

Give Orth a chance to be a QB and let's see what he can do. His passes look crisper than Connor Mitch but he needs good OLine blocking up front. Protect the blind side and give him a chance to check down his receivers. Make some lanes for Brandon to run through. Don't cash in your tickets just yet.

The negative recruiting started the day he took the job.

"He can't win at USC"
"He'll leave after 4 seasons"
"He will never win more than 8-9 games and be gone in 5 years"

This isn't something new. Like I've been telling taters for over 8 years now, keep predicting this is the year and eventually you'll be right.

Along with "That smells like fear"!!!

And it's been wildly successful. Look at what happened with the stupid 2-3 year comment. Our once top 10 recruiting class was reduced to a merely decent one over the course of a few weeks. Just when we were thinking "awesome, Spurrier is really turning it around on the recruiting trail and getting after it", he goes and pulls that stunt. Now coaches have all the ammo they'll need to show how Spurrier isn't as committed as they are.

Look, it's time to get over the old coach with one foot out the door routine. We need a younger guy that can connect with these players and really recruit. Clemson has a whole department dedicated to recruiting and they're setting trends for the future. We need to get in on that kind of stuff before we're too late.

That's a pretty fair assessment.
1-Beamer was a great recruiter and coordinator, and a tireless worker. Lawing had more ties to NC schools and we did very well there when he was here. Some thought that Adams would be able to keep us in on a lot of NC schools but it just hasn't happened.
2-I think Jr could do better. Either way our mis-fires in recruiting fall squarely on his shoulders because he holds the title on coordinator. If anything is going to change it's up to him to make it happen.
3-Spurrier hasn't recruited top rated QB's since he's been here. But then again he looks for QB's that fit his mold and QB's that he thinks can take working for him. BTW...it's not like CU hasn't had some mis-fires at the QB position under Da-Blo and before under Bowden...i.e. "Parker could play for half the teams in the NFL", Korn, Harper, the Chad even though he seems to be doing OK at Ole Miss, etc.
4-EJ was good, but not great. And he had a lot of talent to work with. His refusal to blitz and bring pressure and his bend but don't break, corners playing 10 yards off the ball and always out of position giving up 3rd and forevers aren't missed very much. If not for the talent...well, SOS wouldn't have fired him. If not for the offer at SM he'd still be here and some of our fans would be screaming to fire him.
5-Again, every team has players that don;t pan out and transfer. Maybe when you get time you could better define the "rash" terminological application.
6-I think that comment was made without forethought and in the moment. SOS has addressed it, and if he had any intentions on retiring any time soon I don't believe he would have attempted to address it. If you don't know his DNA by now he's not a man that says things to make people happy, or would make a public rebuttal such as this if he doesn't intend to stand by it. Then again, I'm not 70 years ols with more money in my account than I'll ever spend and if he does flip and decide to walk away...as out of character as it would be...it would only be the 1st time in his life, and I'm sure it would be the last.

And just for the record, it ain't so bad to have a tiger fan around that isn't here just to take cheap shots. Even with the opportunity wide open you posted a respectful post with no low blows. Gives me a little more faith in humanity and the people internet, hahaha.

I don't know if it's true, but I have heard Jr. does not have a good rep. with a lot of high school football coaches now. I have no idea what he did or didn't do to cause that. But I don't know if the coach-coach relationship really truly impacts a players decision the way it did before all the media hype.

Every school has some misses or transfers at QB, but regarding the people you mentioned. You can call Korn a bust, but it was certainly injury aided. Harper broke 28 school records and was pre-season selection for ACC player of the year in 2008, Parker (though not good enough to play on a 53 man roster for sure) lead us to a Conference Title game. I'm not claiming these guys were Johnny Unitas, but keep that in mind when reading this list of names and all that they accomplished in their time in Columbia.

Cade Thompson? - Transfer - UT Martin
Aramis Hillary- Transfer - Coastal Carolina
Reid McCollum- I have no idea... missing persons lists somewhere?
Andrew Clifford-Transfer?
Chris Smelley- Transfer (but did start several games, most you would prefer to forget)
Tommy Beecher- Transfer - Liberty maybe?
Stephen Garcia - Won some really historic games, but a background check may have been handy before offering.
Martay Mattox- Transfer?
Tanner McCovoy-Transfer to Wisconsin to play Safety
Brendan Nostovitch- Transfer
Connor Mitch - What do you think?
Michael Sarnechia - What do you think?

Inside that grouping is Connor Shaw, most impactful player in history of Gamecock football IMO and Dylan Thompson.
Of all those Spurrier signees.... two players completed eligibility. Ten years..... 2 QBs.

I know there's this theory that Spurrier develops 2-3 star guys and makes them great college QBs. I would say he did that at Florida when he had freaking 2-3 first round draft picks to throw to at the skill positions.......... it sounds good, it just doesn't make any sense.

So he's one removed from having a top 10 class committed and now he's too old and washed up to do it again,,, and land them all?

I think you would be better off to save comments like those for NSD and see how he does with this class first.

And I see you didn't answer my question (which I'm not sure you would give a straight answer anyway) but did you want Tanner fired in 2009 also...like some others did?

I've given some thought to this issue over the weekend following the devastating loss Saturday night. Spurrier has done an unbelievable job elevating this football program, and we will always be indebted
to him. I've always supported Spurrier through the ups and downs through the years when the less
knowledgeable fan was ready to jump ship at the slightest sign of adversity. In a way it saddens me to say this, but I believe it's time at the end of the year for someone else to take over. I don't think it's going to get any better at this point, and that's exactly when you need to make a change to continue the growth of the program.

Reactions: jerryusc
I've given some thought to this issue over the weekend following the devastating loss Saturday night. Spurrier has done an unbelievable job elevating this football program, and we will always be indebted
to him. I've always supported Spurrier through the ups and downs through the years when the less
knowledgeable fan was ready to jump ship at the slightest sign of adversity. In a way it saddens me to say this, but I believe it's time at the end of the year for someone else to take over. I don't think it's going to get any better at this point, and that's exactly when you need to make a change to continue the growth of the program.

There is a time to judge the season and the state of the program, but it's not now after only 2 games.

Why can't people at least wait until it's inevitable that we're going to have a .500 or worse season, or if we improve with a different QB and go on to win 6 out of our next 8 before they go off the deep end...like most rational fans?

There is a time to judge the season and the state of the program, but it's not now after only 2 games.

Why can't people at least wait until it's inevitable that we're going to have a .500 or worse season, or if we improve with a different QB and go on to win 6 out of our next 8 before they go off the deep end...like most rational fans?

I sort of agree but just dont see it getting better offensively. If you see something different than great but I dont see it. No excuse to have a lack of talent of WR and QB that we currently have on the roster. I really feel like it will be his last year and that we will probably in no more than 6 games. Not with this schedule. I was at game Sat and the crowd was into it but it's a shame we didnt get it done. Other than Hoke and maybe Mangus I think we are lacking in the assistant coaching positions as well.

For me, it's not about what our record will be this season, it's more about the overall growth of our program. Last year we took a step back and certainly this year, in all likelihood, we will not improve either. I think the writing is definitely on the wall now that the program has peaked and needs someone else to build on what
Spurrier has done. Thanks to Spurrier, the college football nation knows that you "can" win at South Carolina. We need energy and passion, someone that still has something to prove and will work his ass off to accomplish it.

Reactions: jerryusc
For me, it's not about what our record will be this season, it's more about the overall growth of our program. Last year we took a step back and certainly this year, in all likelihood, we will not improve either. I think the writing is definitely on the wall now that the program has peaked and needs someone else to build on what
Spurrier has done. Thanks to Spurrier, the college football nation knows that you "can" win at South Carolina. We need energy and passion, someone that still has something to prove and will work his ass off to accomplish it.

I said it in another thread, kids want to play for younger coaches. There are currently only TWO "older" coaches that are still successful. (Baylor, Mich St). Why is that? Simple: Kids want to feel like they can relate to the coach...

Chad Morris
Hmmmmmmmmm. There's a thought! A good thought!

We need to get on the rest of the gravy train that college football is on and get a high octane offense and not worry about being better than a top 50 defense.

Bama has even learned you can't stop the spread, you can only limit it to a certain degree.

There aren't any secrets anymore, all the schemes are out there and it seems the spread is the hardest to stop. Spurrier's scheme is good but QBs come out of high school running the spread, so Spurrier has a ton of work to do with them when they get here. Connor Shaw was coached up, and so was Dylan, but Connor was so good because he could get out of bad situations with his feet. That's where Dylan struggled.

Bottom line is unless you don't have the better talent on the field that night you can't win, at least not win consistently.

Hmmmmmmmmm. There's a thought! A good thought!

We need to get on the rest of the gravy train that college football is on and get a high octane offense and not worry about being better than a top 50 defense.

Bama has even learned you can't stop the spread, you can only limit it to a certain degree.

There aren't any secrets anymore, all the schemes are out there and it seems the spread is the hardest to stop. Spurrier's scheme is good but QBs come out of high school running the spread, so Spurrier has a ton of work to do with them when they get here. Connor Shaw was coached up, and so was Dylan, but Connor was so good because he could get out of bad situations with his feet. That's where Dylan struggled.

Bottom line is unless you don't have the better talent on the field that night you can't win, at least not win consistently.

But the bottom line is we don't really know what kind of talent we have just yet on offense. Mitch has taken approximately 75% of the snaps on offense and he couldn't hit water from a boat (not intended to be disrespectful, just trying to be honest). Orth came in and showed us all that he can at least hit wide open receivers. And I'm sure we'll see more play from Nunez...who could possibly even take over the reigns at some point in the season.

Why can't we wait until he has a full start under his belt and what our younger receivers can do before we pass final judgement? No, it's not going to be a total transformation and I'm sure we'll still see errors from the players and the play calling because it's still Spuurier and his offense. But it just might be a huge improvement over what we've seen so far this season and it just might be good enough to win.

Because he can recruit like hell and, like Saban, help run the D. He'll hand the O over the GA. I'd take that combo in a skinny second. We'd have a minimum of 2 great recruiters leading both sides of the ball.

With GA, we get Dom Blaylock in a few years. Wait to you see this kid.

Not really sure what else to say. The team is a straight up dumpster fire. We have NO receivers outside of Cooper, our QBs are terrible and they can't determine that Mitch isn't remotely an SEC caliber starter, our defense was softer than Charmin in the first half, and the play calling is still a problem.

Couple the awful coaching with the completely lackadaisical recruiting and you find a team that probably won't crack the top 25 this year. We'd be lucky to get bowl eligible.
Have you guys renamed Tillman Hall yet?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT