ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier and Co. Need to Go

I would go with Nunez. Scale back the playbook and let him learn. We are not winning the East this year anyway. So let him learn and it adds a threat to run which we dont have at QB.

I would go with Nunez. Scale back the playbook and let him learn. We are not winning the East this year anyway. So let him learn and it adds a threat to run which we dont have at QB.

I think we'll see more of Nunez but no way Spurrier hands him the reigns and starts him at this point. Remember back in the beginning of summer camp he said that Orth knew the playbook better than any of the QB's. And the way he went pass happy after Orth hit a couple of passes is a pretty good indication that Orth will be his guy...at least for the next couple of games.

And hopefully game planning for Orth to lead the team will be different from him coming in off the bench and Spurrier won't try to sling it down the field the entire game. We have to run the ball to be successful and he knows it. I think he just got caught up in the moment thinking he had a DT type QB in the game coupled with the fact we were down so much he felt like we needed to throw it more than run it which was fine between the 20's, but once we were in the redzone someone should've got in his ear and convinced him to let Wilds and Carson take care of business.

Reactions: jerryusc
I think we'll see more of Nunez but no way Spurrier hands him the reigns and starts him at this point. Remember back in the beginning of summer camp he said that Orth knew the playbook better than any of the QB's. And the way he went pass happy after Orth hit a couple of passes is a pretty good indication that Orth will be his guy...at least for the next couple of games.

And hopefully game planning for Orth to lead the team will be different from him coming in off the bench and Spurrier won't try to sling it down the field the entire game. We have to run the ball to be successful and he knows it. I think he just got caught up in the moment thinking he had a DT type QB in the game coupled with the fact we were down so much he felt like we needed to throw it more than run it which was fine between the 20's, but once we were in the redzone someone should've got in his ear and convinced him to let Wilds and Carson take care of business.

I know it probably WONT happen but I was saying what I would like to see happen. I know how Spurrier is. He feels his offense is too complex and maybe that is part of the problem. I know he likes Orth. I am just not that convinced he can be our QB. I was at the game and he made some plays but with Nunez in there defenses would have to respect his running ability. The college game has changed and we need a coach that will change with it.

Not so sure about the bolded part. Outside of when Shaw was playing, Spurrier seems to want to run his "Fun N Gun" offense even when running the ball would be best.

If Spurrier pulls a rabbit out of the hat in Athens this coming weekend, do these type of threads go away?
No - not at all even tho I'd be excited about the win (I'm ALWAYS pulling for us to win!)! It's what follows that counts! Remember - we beat Ga. last year and fell apart afterwards! It just seems Spurrier is tired & turning everything over to his assistants (especially his son) & his staff isn't strong enough for the SEC anymore! JMHO! I love Spurrier & so appreciative of what he's done - but we just can't sit on his laurels & past success. We need to build on it & from last year to losing to KY 2 yrs. in a row it seems like we're definitely going backwards where we struggled for YEARS - DECADES- to get out of! Those fabulous 11-2 seasons will be a distant memory if things don't get better! Beating Ga. alone won't fix it! We've done that a LOT in recent years & they've still won the East!

If he wins this weekend, it shows how truly bad the UK effort was.
Exactly. How could we feel good about that? That truly would be a worthless Tommy Bowden type victory!! Absolutely ruin our chances to win the East by losing to the only team that might be as bad as Vanderbilt!! Which puts us in that category. We might be the worst team in the SEC!!!!!! Then we go out a beat Georgia on the road? Look at our QB situation!! Come on, man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT